PDA

View Full Version : Unsure and Scared

Connie
27-02-04, 22:40
Hi, my name is Connie and I am 38 years old. I really do not know where to begin, I guess it was about 6 months ago or so, I was on my way to work and suddenly my face felt like it was on fire, my heart started racing and I felt dizzy. I opened the windows and the air seemed to calm me. As fast as it hit me, it was gone. As the episodes repeated, I found a pattern of it happening around pms time. But now in the last 2 weeks, my attacks have been more frequently. My job consists of me driving aprox. 80 miles a night, in the middle of the night,and half of my trip is in a no phone zone, so I feel helpless.Last night, I ended up in the hospital emergancy room. We are in the process of running tests. The strange thing is I don't have these episodes when I am not alone.By the way, my husband is a truck driver, so thru the week, I am alone.(except for my 3 dogs, God bless em) It never hit me when I was home tho, you know, home was the safe. But the other night I was in bed watching tv(waiting to go to work) and it happened again, it started with my face getting very hot my heart racing. I got up to walk it off and felt faint. I don't understand why this is happening to me. I was never afraid of being alone but now I feel like if I am alone, something is gonna happen to me, like I am gonna die. The ER doctor gave me a couple Ativan to see if it will help and I go next week for a cardiogram( just to make sure) I just want my secure life back, and I want to know why this is happening to me. I am so afraid I am gonna pass out when I am driving. Do these things sound familar to anyone?

sadie
27-02-04, 23:01
Hi Connie,

Welcome aboard to this great little haven!! You will find lots of help and support here from people that feel just like you.

The dizziness and the racing heart you described are all symptoms of panic and anxiety. They are all very common symptoms which although seem very real and frighteneing will do you know harm.

Have a read at all the different forums and all the information on the home page too, as there is lots of useful info there which will help you understand what is happening to you and why.

Nice to meet you..keep in touch!

sadie

Meg
27-02-04, 23:12
HI Connie,

Often anxiety and panic is worse around PMS time. Think carefully about whats been going on with your life and lifestyle and thought patterns recently. It won't have come for no reason unless you've been on recreational drugs or alcohol.

If the heart racing is one of the worst symptoms you may find a course of betablockers will help enormously.
They won't cure the cause but will allieviate the symptoms .

Hunt around and do keep posting any queries

Meg

Watch your thoughts, they become your words...
Watch your words, they become your actions... Watch your actions, they become your habits... Watch your habits, they become your character... Watch your character, it becomes your destiny...

kate
28-02-04, 09:20
Hiya Connie,

All your symptom sound very familier indeed!

Perhaps the first incident happened around the PMS time but, as you panicked at these feelings, they are now reoccuring at other times as well.

This is how the panic circle begins. Strange feelings, panic about them, strange feelings again, more panic and so on.

Try reading all the postings on here and I am sure you will soon realise that you are not alone!!!

Keep in touch

Kate x

benoo5
28-02-04, 15:42
hi connie,

the hot flushes,could certainly be hormonal,but because it came so quickly,and out of the blue,it frightened you,causing your heart to race,once this happens a few times,the part of your brain that stores bad memories,comes into play...AND SO THE PANIC CYCLE BEGINS.

its easy to say,but the key to getting over this is to learn how to RELAX...you will find lots of good relaxation techniques,on this site,and i know they will help you!

you have also to look at your lifestyle,and change anything that could be adversly affecting your central nervous system...recreational drugs...smoking...alcohol...caffein...junk food.

make sure your getting the correct anount of vitamins...vitB complex..omega3 (fish oils).

finally,put BREATHING in the search facility at the top right of this page,learn how to breath properly,using the techniques provided.

theres a very good post in the PANIC section,called 10 things to remember,its written by JADE,our youngest member,if possible print it out,as its well worth reading,over and over again,until you remember it.

best wishes...bryan.