PDA

View Full Version : Obbsessed with Breathing??

lauraann
02-09-10, 17:24
Hello everyone :)

I'm new here and just reading some of the posts and peoples advice i already feel slightly better.

Im 23, and have been having panic attacks / health anxiety for the past 2 years. Ive been through all the big ones, Brain Tumor, Heart attack, Cancer..of course i have had all the tests, and they have never found anything. When i was really bad last year, my blood pressure was through the roof, but that was due to the anxiety.

I was prescribed escitalopalm and that has helped but i think i have become immune to them now as the anxiety is back, i was supposed to start a new job on Tuesday, i just couldnt do it. Im in constant fear that im going to collapse / pass out / die in public, and i just cannot rationalize it! Its becoming such a problem. I have had to come back home to my mum! Im totally obbsessed with my breathing, and feel like if i dont get a 'Big breath' my heart is just going to stop! Crazy i know! I feel like im going insane!

Anyway, just wondering if anyone had any advice or similar problem?

Laura x

Vixxy
02-09-10, 17:52
Hi Laura have you tried CBT?

Fly away Katie
02-09-10, 17:59
Hello Laura :)
I was going through the breathing thing last month (now i'm on to skin cancer and memory problems) :(
Anyways... I learnt after a whole month of the same thing every day that your breathing NEVER stops. Your heart WONT stop!!
Breathing is something that I find very easy to fixate all of my attention on, as it is a main bodily function that you need to live every day, every second of your life.
But our breathing is automatic. (That's how it continues as we sleep) It does its own thing. Its not really something you HAVE to consciously concentrate on.
The best thing is distraction. If you take your mind off your breathing, im sure it will calm down back to its usual old self :)
Keep strong, and lay off the deep breaths.. you dont need them ;)
Good luck, Katie :) x x x x x x

lauraann
02-09-10, 18:25
Thanks Katie,:) thats really helpful, i just think to hear it from someone else, (thats not a family member) is reassuring.

I'm just trying to keep rationalizing!! Are you on any medication for your HA? xxx