PDA

View Full Version : Weight

Ambers
02-09-10, 21:27
Sorry another question...

I have recently lost a stone in weight in approx 3 weeks. At first I couldn't eat much due the the meds I was on, I stopped them last week and got my hunger back. I am eating properly again but I am still losing weight and at the moment I am losing about a pound every two days.

This is NOT a good look for me! It is aging me. I eat good foods, and although I am a veggie - I have been eating fish this week to feed my mind (thought it might help with the anxiety)

I understand that the anxiety in it's phyical form is burning the calories. But all I am doing is sitting in bed/sofa for the past few weeks without any real excerise, so I kinda thought that would counteract. To make matters worse - everytime I put my head down I go to pass out and have to get on the floor - it's worrying me more, esp if I am on my own with my child - what if I fainted? And I am so forgetful - badly so at the mo!!!

I bet a large percentage of people suffering from anxiety are either under or over weight?

This just turned into a moan really. Sorry :blush:

racdun
02-09-10, 22:23
Hi Ambers
Losing weight from anxiety is a common problem. Your metabolism gets super charged up with all the extra adrenalin going round. I lost well over a stone when I was at the height of my anxiety and could never no matter what I ate put the weight on. Like you for a while I was losing a pound every day sometimes then maybe putting on a pound but my lowest weight was 7 st 7lbs. Then you get people coming up and asking why I am starving myself or am I really sick or saying I was wasting away. That really helped make me feel better! I know they meant well but I got fairly sick of answering that question. I did go to a naturopath and she guided me on eating better and supplements that would help while I was underweight. You should make sure you have a good strength multi vitamin. I drank complan and liquid food on days I did not feel up to eating, very often my stomach was very quesy from anxiety.
If you smoke and this was the big one for me, quit. I did it and yes my anxiety got worse for a bit but it really helped me get my weight back up. Also I found magnesium oil very helpful. It itches and burns a bit when you use it first but after a few weeks I really noticed a change in how I felt. I used it everyday then but now I would only use it once a week. If you feel your anxiety is hormone related, my monthlys were horrible and anxiety would climb before them so I started using natural progesterone cream. It also helped make a difference to my energy levels which was a plus.
Its a horrible feeling to have anxiety everyday and my thoughts are with you. If I can help or support you in anyway please dont hesitate to pm me.
Best wishes
Rachael

Anxious_gal
03-09-10, 03:22
wow 2 pounds every 2 days. To me it seems like a lot. I have lost 2 stone before due to my anxiety. I have quite small bones so i even look a bit too slim to people at my usual 9 stone. I felt quite embarrassed at 7 stones, worried what people were thinking and such.
have you checked how many calories your having every day?
I found it helpful in gaining weight back up.

if your having problems with eating, cheese, chocolate, soups, yogurts and such don't fill you up too much and are high in calories :-)

I've been a veggie since I was 13 or 14, I can't bring my self to eat fish because to me it feels wrong, even though I think it's perfectly natural . But I have found taking omega 3 fish oil to be good.

have you spoken to your doc about weight loss, just i think an over active thyroid can cause anxiety and weight loss symptoms, you just get a blood test to check it.

Ambers
03-09-10, 09:10
Thank you for replies.

I have just weigh myself and I am 7 stone 12. I am 5'5 and 42 years of age.
I dont smoke (I used to pre children). Eating has been ok still I stopped the meds - infact I polished off a whole box of matchmakers in one day. I do feel bad eating fish but I I will give anything a go if it improves me.
I am interested in the Magnesuim oil - can I get that in the health food shop?
I will ask my doc for a blood test - although I did have one last year.

Vixxy
03-09-10, 09:46
Hi ambers. I went through a similar thing at the beginning of this year.
I started out at 8st6lbs and ended up 6st11lbs. (im 5'3")
The more I worried about it the more weight I lost, so my advice for you is to do the following. I know some of this wont apply to your problem. This is just how I got through it. Im slowly gaining weight again now.
1 - DO NOT worry about your weight, all this does is fuel your anxiety making it even harder to eat.
2 - Accept youre doing all you can do at the moment and know that when youre feeling better you will begin to gain weight again.
3 - Try not to weigh yourself too often. Set yourself one evening a week and weigh yourself then only. Make sure that if its not the result you wanted that you use the above 2 tips to stop it causing you more anxiety.
4 - Learn to relax before you eat. I listen to a relaxation app on my ipod before I eat.
5 - Distraction. Read a book, watch tv, play a game. Anything to take your mind of eating and the nausea.
6 - If you body scan (checking your body for anxiety or nausea symptoms) then you need to stop. If you concentrate on your hand for long enough you'll feel the nerves tingling, therefore thinking about your stomach will only lead to you feeling nauseas! If you find this hard then focus on your big toe or another part of your body that doesnt normally suffer any anxiety symptoms.
7 - Eat little and often. Get yourself used to the feeling of food in your stomach/throat.
8 - Only eat what you fancy and dont force yourself to eat when youre not ready.
9 - Talk to your doctor about Fortijuice. Its given on prescription for cancer patients. It has vitamins, minerals and calories. It comes in savoury, milk or juice flavours. So make sure you ask for the type you fancy.
10 - If you cant get hold of the fortijuice then try drinking slim fast or another dieting suppliment. Dont use this as your only meal, but in addition to give your body what it needs.
11 - Aim to eat a little more each day. Even if its just one more bite of toast.
12 - Write down what works for you, so that you can look back on it if needs be.

I really hope this helps!

caz1625
03-09-10, 09:48
I am the exact opposite I pile on the weight. :weep:

Carol xx

racdun
03-09-10, 11:30
Thats good advice from Vixxy. The more you worry about your weight the harder it is to put it on. The antidepressants are good at knocking your appetite and now that you have stopped taking them your appetite will probably return and the weight will come back up. But once you get your anxiety under control your weight issues will not bother you. I find that you get good info on anxiety at www.anxietycentre.com (http://www.anxietycentre.com) It does cost about £20 membership for the year but it is so worth it. The work they do on that site for members is unbelievable. I am not knocking this site in anyway, this was a help to me in days when things were not so good. Even just to see the same questions I had asked by different people was reassurance that what I was going through was part of anxiety.
The magnesium oil I use is from www.betteryou.uk.com (http://www.betteryou.uk.com) I didn't get it online I found it cheaper to go through my local health shop. They order it for me. It does itch your skin though at the start and a lot of people probably give up on it because of that but I found it really helpful. I tried the supplements in tablet form but my stomach got really irritated.
I hope things improve for you soon. Its not easy going through fear everyday. But always remember thats what anxiety is, overexagerated fear created by fearing the sensations of fear.
Best wishes
Rachael

Ambers
03-09-10, 16:27
Thankyou all for your wonderful advice - and as we all know it isn't just the weight lost, it's the worry that goes with it. It feel so relaxed today and have had fun in the garden with my youngerst - Been shaking all day but ignored it.

Magnesuim is on order :) :yesyes:

Ambers
03-09-10, 16:29
Excuse typo errors - brain and hands have their own agendas!

heavenly
03-09-10, 17:02
I am the exact opposite I pile on the weight. :weep:

Carol xx

When I had my 48 hr panic attack three weeks ago, I lost half a stone in a week. But as soon as I started Olanzapine, if it wasn't nailed down, I would eat it.:blush: So that half a stone is going back on. It is a common side effect of Olanzapine but its a small price to pay for not feeling like I am going off my rocker.

jothenurse
04-09-10, 04:35
how many pounds in a stone?

Vixxy
04-09-10, 13:04

jothenurse
04-09-10, 13:31
I lost 20 pounds during the worse of my anxiety. I'm 5 feet, 3/4 of inches. I was down to just a little over 93 pounds and I looked terrible. I was gaggy all the time and no appetite. The ativan I'm taking did eventually help calm me down so I could eat better. I'm up to 100 pounds, but need to gain at least 10 more pounds. It takes a while.

Zee
07-09-10, 21:37
I lost 28lb since beginning of February this year.. In feb /March I had intentionally cut out bread,biscuits.cakes to get my weight down.. I saw the GP end of March about another matter and because I hadnt seen him for 10 years he wanted full blood count.. My anxiety kicked in, I couldnt eat for worrying so was eating less than 1000 cals a day when 1200 is the absolute recommended miniumum..
My blood tests were excellent but since that time ive been attaching anxiety to food and record every calorie count of food I manage, and weigh myself every morning.. still managing 1000/1100 only per day... Obsessed with weight now and I just want to put a few pounds back on and I am sure my anxiety will ease.

Hazel B
07-09-10, 21:44
I have lost a stone and a half since May with anxiety. I was overweight but now need to maintain at 8 stone 12 and 5ft 4. It is the anxiety energy that does this, my blood and medical tests were clear. I try to eat little and often with lots of protein, the advice on Complan/protein shakes is also good.
People keep telling me I look good but it's not a comfort as I know it's wrong to sit at home all day and still lose weight. Fingers crossed it improves soon.