PDA

View Full Version : Are my periods too heavy or normal?

Lissy43
03-09-10, 13:34
Im abit of a worrier about bleeding since I had a D&C operation to remove a pregnancy that didn't take 9 months ago. I suffered heavy periods after so i went on the pill, but last month my gp and i decided to take me off it as I was having frequent headaches and bad anxiety.

It has been a year since I had my regular periods and i cant remember them really, but they were never really light.

Im anxious because everytime i stand up, within a few minutes I feel a small gush of blood (huge improvement from what I had after the op), then when i go check its like slightly thick blood slowly glooping from me onto my pad (sorry), which marks the centre of the pad. Is this just normal? Im on day 2 of my period.

Ive been trying to rest up abit today as have some cramps, i bleed abit when sitting/lying on sofa, it just seems worse when standing. Uf im mobile for a while it's not too bad.

Is this classed as normal or heavy? Because im resting up alot I dont know if id soak a pad every half hour, or would sitting not make a difference if my bleeding was that bad?

My mum and sister say they were/are the same, if not worse, but ive this horrid phobia of bleeding to death and scared i could have pekvic inflammatory disease causing it to be heavy.

I just wish I could remember if this is just normal for me. Can anyone give me some words of wisdom?:-(

chai
03-09-10, 13:51
i don't know if this is much help but i think the 2nd day is always a bit heavier and also
when you go off the pill it causes absolute chaos...!! i went off myself 4 months ago and haven't had a period yet... still waiting.
and this is the second time i have been off the pill and i also just never got my period.
it sounds like you were always prone to heavy periods.. maybe this is just the chaos being caused on your body by the change.

are you feeling ok.. other then normal period feelings? try and relax thats the most important and monitor it.
i'm sure you are fine.. going on and off the pill does very odd things.
xx

anthrokid
03-09-10, 13:56
Hey Larna,

Sorry to hear this is worrying you a bit. I've had worries myself tonight so I know how you're feeling!

If it makes you feel better I can feel it come out more when I'm standing compared to sitting. It's an icky feeling isn't it?!

I do take the pill now though, so they aren't as heavy as they have been. It's hard to remember what they were like before I was on the pill because I've been on it for almost as long as I've had my period because it was sooooo irregular. I do remember it being very heavy in the months that I stopped taking the pill due to medication interference however.

Also, I know a friend who gets terrible cramps and realllllly heavy periods to the point that she takes days off uni and work at a time and wears heavy night pads during the day.

Lissy43
03-09-10, 13:56
Yes i feel ok, just achy and abit anxious.

I saw my gp last week as id had bad abdominal cramps, had 2 thorough checks and was told it was ibs related, i also had a full blood count done at the end of July which was normal.

Thanks.

caz1625
03-09-10, 13:59
Don't worry this is normal. I suffered from heavy periods and it would soak through the pad and my clothes. My bed used to be soaking in the morning and that was with me using a tampon and a night time towel. So don't worry even with really really heavy ones your body copes with them.

Carol x

Lissy43
03-09-10, 14:00
Thanks Aimee,

I had my gp check me recently and he said i had no reason to worry about pid etc... I also had bloods tested in July.

I had an ultrasound of my repoductive system last yr, again all ok.

My gp says i wont haemorrage having a period, but i always panic since the op:((

Lissy43
03-09-10, 14:03
Don't worry this is normal. I suffered from heavy periods and it would soak through the pad and my clothes. My bed used to be soaking in the morning and that was with me using a tampon and a night time towel. So don't worry even with really really heavy ones your body copes with them.

Carol x

Gosh, they were that bad? I dont soak the bed, just my pad over night. Then during the day i change my pad every time i get a gush, not coz it soaks through, but coz it is quite thick fluid so sits all in the centre of the pad, so feels yuk to keep on.

Im really worried though since the op, i dont cope with my periods very well:(( i feel silly coz im 31 with 3 children, i never let them scare me before.

Thanks Caz xx

Lissy43
03-09-10, 14:05
Forgot to ask caz, was it always heavy the whole week? Did you gp seem concerned? Or do tests?

Thanks

Lissy43
03-09-10, 14:32
Just stood up and had lots pouring out. Slowly pouring like a piece of gooey string, was purple??:((( it eventually stopped and i tidied myself up, but its everytime i stand today. Terrified im haemorraging or something:((( im lying down alot, but am scared to walk around incase it is gushing away:(((

Hubby says im fine and its normal and ive beeb worse, so he says i should calm down. Feel daft:(

mom1982
03-09-10, 14:34
I am 27 with 2 kids.

I soak completely soak a super tampon every 45 min to 1 hr during the first 2 days. I was scared too but every month is was the same and i am still fine and never needed to go to the doctor for that. Your is heavy but not very heavy, other people are worse and yet still considered normal. If you feel lightheaded or you completely soak more than 2 thick pads in one hour then you need to see the doctor. take iron pills during your heavy days. it helps!

Heavy periods can be a sign of low estrogen, check with your doctor. Nothing serious, hormones change after having kids. Mine's low and i'm taking an estrogen cream.

mom1982
03-09-10, 14:36
let me add that walking around makes your period gush out more. it happened to me. sit or lie more and rest.

caz1625
03-09-10, 14:49
Was heavy for around 10 days :weep: It is worse when you stand up as gravity makes it leak out. I used to waken and be terrified to stand up out of the bed as i knew it would just gush out and soak everything. Yes saw a doc and was told I just suffered from heavy periods nothing to worry about. I used to take iron tablets every few months. Was really scary when I was younger but I got used to it. It was just always that way.

Carol x

Lissy43
03-09-10, 14:55
I am 27 with 2 kids.

I soak completely soak a super tampon every 45 min to 1 hr during the first 2 days. I was scared too but every month is was the same and i am still fine and never needed to go to the doctor for that. Your is heavy but not very heavy, other people are worse and yet still considered normal. If you feel lightheaded or you completely soak more than 2 thick pads in one hour then you need to see the doctor. take iron pills during your heavy days. it helps!

Heavy periods can be a sign of low estrogen, check with your doctor. Nothing serious, hormones change after having kids. Mine's low and i'm taking an estrogen cream.

Thank you.

I feel light headed but its probably panic. I have to pick the kids up and feel anxious about it.

Lissy43
03-09-10, 14:58
Was heavy for around 10 days :weep: It is worse when you stand up as gravity makes it leak out. I used to waken and be terrified to stand up out of the bed as i knew it would just gush out and soak everything. Yes saw a doc and was told I just suffered from heavy periods nothing to worry about. I used to take iron tablets every few months. Was really scary when I was younger but I got used to it. It was just always that way.

Carol x

Thanks Carol.

I guess if it isnt a constant gush im ok?

Im just so on edge:(( esp as i have to pick the kids up now.

mom1982
03-09-10, 15:00
i get lightheaded from anxiety or panic all the time. i meant that if you literally see the room spin or you are really faint or going to fall over, then you're losing too much blood. Iron tablets help with that. Take 180-200mg of iron a day during the first 3 days of your period. only side effect is it may cause constipation. Gushing is normal with pads & it makes you feel like lots are coming out when it's not as much as you think or feel, thats why i changed to tampons.

Lissy43
03-09-10, 15:10
Thanks. I used to take iron tablets as i had low ferritin, not sure if i still have any. Will look.

I just feel so worried, feels like its got heavier and more painful this afternoon:(( im on day 2, i thought it would start to get lighter:((

mom1982
03-09-10, 15:17
mine was light on day 1 and heavy day 2 and 3 and normal on day 4 and then light day 5 & 6. every period is different, every woman different as well. after i had kids all my periods have been so different and heavier than it used to be. get your hormones checked and its safe to take iron tablets on the first few days of your period every mth. the good ones have about 185mg per pill. its safe to take up to 200mg, and less if you eat lots of red meat everyday. day 2 is usually heavy. days 1-3 can be heavy. & how many hours until you completely soak one pad? are the pads thick or ultrathin?

Lissy43
03-09-10, 15:40
Im wearing super thin pads or the thick night time. They never soak through? But if i have a gush after sitting it sits in the middle of the pad all wet.

Im sitting as much as possible coz i feel all windy in my tummy and sickly aswell. Always feel yuk!:( So wont that stop the blood coming out to soak the pad anyway.

Ive just been up and about for about 45 mins or so and pad only has a few specs.

mom1982
03-09-10, 15:47
i had the same prob with pads. a whole blob comes out and gushes and you can feel it coming and then it sits there but the pad eventually soaks it up or i used toilet paper to clean it off. i usually change it when that happens so end up changing alot. and when the internet tells you that you should not soak 2 pads in one hour, they are referring to the thick pads, not ultra thin. internet also said go to emergency if you soak more than one super tampon in one hour. i was soaking 1-2 super tampons in 1 to 1 and a half hrs but didnt go to the doc. its was normal, it stopped being so heavy after day 3. i was just soooo tired and sooooooooooo anx! the internet tells you the worse case scenario and you end up panicking and making yourself more anx and sick for nothing :( i always google for stupid answers. your tummy pain could also be from the anx.

mom1982
03-09-10, 15:49
get your GP to do a hormone panel for you. check LH, FSH, estrogen & progesterone. heavy periods can be caused by an imbalance which is common for women with kids.

Lissy43
03-09-10, 15:52
Thanks.

I shall try to relax until hubby gets in.

It is like horrid trapped wind all in my right side causing the pain, yuk! Hopefully painkillers will sort that.

I was ok at the school and for 45 mins walking around but i bet i wont be once i stand up again:(

Lissy43
03-09-10, 15:54
get your GP to do a hormone panel for you. check LH, FSH, estrogen & progesterone. heavy periods can be caused by an imbalance which is common for women with kids.

Fab. I see him on 14th so i shall ask about bloods, thanks.

I came off pill a month ago so results should be accurate now its out of my system.

lisa12
03-09-10, 16:54
Hi there i have had this fear since 2 having a d&c as my periods went realy heavy i took my self to a&e and had loads of test even a intrnal scan which made the blood gush out for ages but all was normal and just a period...so i try not to worry no more and after abut 4 days it always calms down ,also when i was at hop i was sayin im gonna die losing this much (lol) bet they thought i was mad ,but a kind nurs told me that most of your period is actualy mucus and not blood although it looks like blood

Lissy43
03-09-10, 17:14
Thanks Lisa.

It is scary isn't it when your periods go so heavy after a procedure like that.

Yes most of my loss is thickish, so mucus really.

I just get so scared I might haemorrage, which I know is irrational of course, but it's hard when you develop a phobia.

I have had swabs and bloods done, all normal. GP has always just said these are my periods and i have to learn to cope with them again.

Clairalou
03-09-10, 19:05
Hiya larna,

I suffer from exreamly heavy periods I have to wear at least 4 of the huge nighttime pads and change them every 1-2 hours I often go right through the pads and my clothes even changing so regularly. It's horrble I also get what you described the purple stringy thing which is clotty. I've been like this years and apart for having a hysterectomy there's not much the doctors can do apart for making my aneamia worse the heavy periods don't do me any harm. I'm going to look into having the lining of my womb ablated to stop periods (I'm already sterilised by tubel tie)
Try not to worry too much :) easier said than done I know but everyones periods are different our bodies are trained to cope with them :)

xxxx

Lissy43
03-09-10, 23:23
Hiya larna,

I suffer from exreamly heavy periods I have to wear at least 4 of the huge nighttime pads and change them every 1-2 hours I often go right through the pads and my clothes even changing so regularly. It's horrble I also get what you described the purple stringy thing which is clotty. I've been like this years and apart for having a hysterectomy there's not much the doctors can do apart for making my aneamia worse the heavy periods don't do me any harm. I'm going to look into having the lining of my womb ablated to stop periods (I'm already sterilised by tubel tie)
Try not to worry too much :) easier said than done I know but everyones periods are different our bodies are trained to cope with them :)

xxxx

Thank you.

Doesn't sound like fun for you, mine sound light compared to yours;)

Lissy43
06-09-10, 13:05
Thank you all for your help last week, I seemed to cope well with it despite the fears I have. I got through the first 3 heavy days, then my 4th day (yesterday) I had nothing really until last night when i had some orangey/red smears of blood on the tissue, which today on day 5 is now abit more red again, not heavy but heavier than last night. Is it normal to stop adn start and for it to step up abit again? It has flared up my anxiety again:-( I thought I had coped well this month and was starting to accept my periods again without that fear.

I saw my mum earlier and told her my period had come back and she said thats perfectly fine to bleed on day 5, but im worried:-(

SamanthaAU
06-09-10, 14:25
Hi Larna,

I think its completely normal to taper off and then start up again.

I am 32 and had my 3rd child 10 months ago. I have had 3 periods since then and they have been terribly heavy. When I go to the loo there are huge clots in the bottom of the loo and I too can soak through pads, clothes, sheets etc. I was never like this before, so combined with my HA it scared the bejeesus out of me! I have had a scan though, and everything was normal (I thought I might have had retained product).

Like others have said, its just those lovely old hormones that change all the time. Everything that you have described is completely normal, the gushing, the clots, the heavyness of it all - the joys of being a woman huh :)

take care!

Lissy43
06-09-10, 14:42
Thanks Sam.

So do yours stop and start? is it normal to bleed on day 5 again?

SamanthaAU
06-09-10, 14:49
Yes definitely! I am on day 5 at the moment and mine seem to be heavier today then they were yesterday.

It probably depends on how active you are too. Also, when I bled postpartum I bled very heavily for weeks and weeks. It would stop then start, and the doctor said this was normal. Blood pools and then thats when you get gushing and it restarting again.

As hard as it is, try not to worry you too much. Trust that your body knows what its doing - even if our mind doesn't xxx

Lissy43
07-09-10, 07:51
Thanks Sam.

Day 6 today and im still bleeding:((

Fly away Katie
07-09-10, 18:28
Just stood up and had lots pouring out. Slowly pouring like a piece of gooey string, was purple??:((( it eventually stopped and i tidied myself up, but its everytime i stand today. Terrified im haemorraging or something:((( im lying down alot, but am scared to walk around incase it is gushing away:(((

Hubby says im fine and its normal and ive beeb worse, so he says i should calm down. Feel daft:(

Hey, no worries. I have that EVERYTIME I have my period. Its not pleasant to look at, and feels weird as hell. But its perfectly normal m'love:yesyes: And I bleed heavily for all 7 days. Ive just started mine now.In agony. Your not alone x xx x x x x x x

Lissy43
07-09-10, 21:03
Poor you bleeding heavy all week, my body was drained after 3 days heavy.

Does yours stop after the 7th day?

SamanthaAU
08-09-10, 14:51
How are you Larna??

BunnyMazonas
08-09-10, 16:38
I know everyone's said it but I'm sureyou've nothing to worry about. I've always had heavy periods and on particularly heavy days I feel a bit gushing out when I stand etc, and it tends to be thick and dark. The same thing if I've slept and then get up to go to the loo; it is just the angle of your body preventing blood from flowing normally out, so when you stand up again and the path is cleared it comes out all at once.

You don't have to worry about bleeding to death - the thick, dark stuff is old blood that the body has already released into your ahem- female parts- and has started to congeal. If it was light coloured, fluid, fresh blood I would be a little more concerned, but if you were bleeding freshly there would be noticeable and unusual pain there (different from the normal and often crippling standard cramps us lucky ladies have!)

One thing I have found is starting implanon for my BC really reduced my flow, the length of my period and the amount of pains I get. I know it is different for everyone who takes it, but if your doctor is okay with it following your surgery and if you are not currently trying to have more kids, it might be worth asking about hormonal BC.