PDA

View Full Version : My GP is retiring

unspoken
04-09-10, 11:57
Last night my dad told me that my GP, the same one both my parents see, is retiring next Friday.

I knew she must be getting close to retirement age but I saw her a few weeks ago and she never mentioned it. I suppose it must be difficult as a GP to retire and leave your 'regular' patients. I think I am a regular - I'm there at least once a month. This GP has known me since we moved here when I was 9 years old. When I was at university (2006-2009) I still saw her in the holidays (I've not been 'healthy' for a long time).

At the end of last year when I was feeling really anxious and low but still working, I ended up seeing another GP at the surgery, who was dismissive and not helpful about my problems. So I soldiered on, till a couple of weeks later I saw my regular GP, who said I was severely depressed and really needed antidepressants and some temazepam to help me sleep. She seemed to actually care about how I was. I've been back there regularly and I'm on a cocktail of different drugs at different strengths which have been agreed with her.

So now I have to face a new doctor who doesn't know me, doesn't know my physical and mental health problems. I mean sure they have notes, but I've seen a lot of GPs in my time and I know they don't really trust the judgement of other GPs. I don't know whether a new GP will be coming in to replace her (there are 3 other GPs at the surgery) or whether I'll be put onto another GP there. I don't know if it's a good opportunity to get another opinion on the treatment I'm receiving and the number of medications I'm on. I've been considering moving to another surgery, where my sister goes. I do know local people with depression and/or anxiety who I can ask about which GPs take mental health seriously. I am feeling anxious about this whole situation though and I feel a bit let down by my GP. Has anyone else been through this, or got anything to suggest? Thanks for letting me get the worry off my chest, NMP.

ElizabethJane
04-09-10, 20:42
Hi unspoken I went through a similar thing when I needed to see a psychiatrist. I had seen one previous to this and there was a three year gap. I went back to the hospital for a referral to find that she had retired. I was devastated and I hate change and I thought that I wouldn't find anyone as understanding as she was. How would anybody else understand my problems? I asked to see Dr J at the same hospital as I had seen him once before. He is absolutely brilliant. All my fears about not being able to trust him and would he 'know' all about me were unfounded. He had certainly read my notes and was able to make intelligent guesses about everything else. He is very different to Dr M and I'm glad that I have him now. He is able to diagnose very quickly if I have any problems and adjust my meds accordingly. I think that it is the change that we fear most acutely and the fact that we fear that the doctor will not 'know' us or be able to diagnose quickly what is wrong. You can always go to several of the other doctors in the practice until you decide that there is one you can trust. When I moved to where I am now I had to change doctors. I wanted a lady doctor as I had a long gynae history and a Christian practice. I found both and again I have stayed with her. There are other doctors in the practice that I would trust and two who have retired who were brilliant too. I would persevere with your choice and allow the relationship between you and your new GP to develop. EJ.