PDA

View Full Version : Driving test on Monday, help!

scaredycatx
04-09-10, 13:52
I have my driving test on Monday (2nd one as failed the first)
I am completely terrified and suffer bad with my anxiety - tension headaches and chest pain has started already and I really don't think I can do this.

It's the chest pain that worries me the most I am so terrified that I'm going to get so extremely stressed on Monday that I'm going to give myself a heart attack or something or have to stop the test or pass out or whatever happens it's going to be bad.
I really want to be able to do this but I'm increasingly thinking that it would just be so much easier not to do it and I'm stupid for putting myself under these ridiculous stress levels when I'm feeling like this. If I give up now there's no way I'll have the strength to book it up again and go through it all again but on the other hand I really don't think I'm strong enough to continue and go through with it in 2 days time. Anxiety is ruining my life.

What do I do? What would you do? What's the worst that can happen if I go for it?

Thanks in advance for any replies and sorry to ramble on.
Amy x

jothenurse
04-09-10, 14:09
You're having anticipatory anxiety and that's always worse than the actual thing that you are scared of. I would go ahead and take the test. Try distracting yourself in the meantime, and see if there is something you can do for fun. I know it's hard, but it may be harder if you wait and do it later.

debs71
04-09-10, 14:14
Hi....It is completely understandable and normal to be feeling the way you are hun. It is a nervous situation to have your driving test, so first of all, tell yourself this!

Try, if you are able, to take your mind away from your nerves and distract yourself from dwelling on it (tv, music,shops, whatever works) as it is your mental anxiety that will be causing your physical symptoms. The body is so annoying like that!

Please also try to move your mind away from what you think MAY happen on Monday, as just as much as it could, it will more than likely NOT, particularly the heart attack bit as that is just your anxiety creating the worst possible scenario, and the chances are slim to none hun.

Please don't cancel it. You have probably worked SO HARD to get yourself to this point with extra lessons, brushing up on things, etc and when your anxiety comes down after cancelling you will kick yourself for not going ahead with it, and like you say, will either not book it again or experience this horrible, bloody annoying anxiety again before the next try.

Often, the sheer thought of something is built up so much in our minds - I do this ALL the time - and then on the day we find we can cope with it just about ok, so try with all your strength not to focus on the if's and buts. Try to stop thinking about the worst that can happen as it doubtless will not, whatever it is.

One thing I TOTALLY recommend though for a bit of nerves help is BACHS RESCUE REMEDY. Just pop a few drops on the tongue on the day of your test and it really helps calm you down a bit. I always take it before a flight or stressy situation.

Best of luck, keep telling yourself 'I can do this and I'll be fine'. It sounds weird but positive talk to yourself really helps. Go get that license!!

Let us know how you get on.xxxxx:winks:

silenticecream
04-09-10, 16:42
Hey, was there myself a couple of years ago. My first test was a disaster - my mind was all over the place, as was my car! Got failed within 5 minutes of leaving the test center and basically just drove straight back to it. Second time - I basically just got into the mindset that I was taking the instructor for a tour around my local area. I tried to shut out any thought that I was being assessed, or judged or whatever ( I have big evaluation/ negative thought problems), and it seems to have worked! You would not have been allowed to apply for the test had you not demonstrated sufficient competence to your instructor - you clearly can drive, and this is an opportunity to show off your skills :). If only I could get into that mindset more often....(like now!)

Nigel
04-09-10, 17:14
Hi Amy,

“What's the worst that can happen if I go for it?”

What’s the worst that can happen if you don’t :winks:

But seriously, if you don’t go for it then it’s guaranteed that you won’t pass. Going at least puts you in with a good chance. So it’s one of those rare occasions where there really is nothing to lose and everything to gain.

I was nervous before my test – I think we all are – but most of that disappears during the actual test because there’s plenty of other things to be thinking about.

One very important thing to remember is DON’T get flustered if you do make a silly mistake. We all do – it’s only human – and provided it’s not too serious and there’s not too many of them, the examiner is more concerned with how you deal with that mistake.

Bestest luck for Monday.
And don’t forget to pop back and tell us how well it went :yahoo:

Nigel

scaredycatx
06-09-10, 16:21
Hey guys,

Thanks so much for your posts and words of support and encouragement - they really really helped.

I got crazily stressed and anxious over the weekend, had really bad chest pains and ended up at A&E I was that worried. They did an ECG and all came back fine. (This is a huge reassurance for me as this was my first ECG and I've developed big concerns about my heart lately so I'm feeling much better about this now)

Anyway on to the good news, I passed my driving test today! Yippppeeeee!! Can't believe it I am so happy! I literally could have cancelled my test a million times over the weekend and I was a complete mess this morning - a real state. I couldn't have been any worse - I thought I was mad to even attempt to go ahead with it. I have no idea how I did it but it all went amazingly smoothly and I actually felt relaxed and in control! I think I had some help from above!

I just wanted to give you this update as this was so very extremely difficult for me to do today and I could have backed out and I wanted to back out so many times. My anxiety said I wasn't strong enough but guess what mr anxiety I went against you and did it. And feel great right now. It just goes to show that I am stronger than I think.

This is a MASSIVE step for me as I believe that if I can go ahead and take my driving test and pass in this state I can do anything. I'm going to try and apply this positive thinking to the rest of my life (quite how i'll get on with that I'm not so sure!)

Thanks for your messages of support above, you were a big part in convincing me to stick with it and to go ahead with the test today and for that I thank you so much!:)

Please take this as some inspiration that anxiety doesn't always have to win and control everything you do.

Amy xxxxxxxxxx

margaret jones
06-09-10, 16:26
WELL DONE AMY YOU ARE A STAR :)cONGRATULATIONS AND SAFE DRIVING :D
That must have been hard for you but , look you did it yipeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Maggie

Nigel
06-09-10, 16:49
Amy – 1 : Anxiety – 0

Well done! I knew you’d pass :yahoo:

Nigel

Ambers