PDA

View Full Version : Cipralex - different reactions

Nicole01
05-09-10, 11:26
(I posted this on the wrong forum!)

Hi All, (sorry for long post)

I'm new to the site and have found it really helpful already. I have suffered with OCD since i was 12 (I'm now 24) and have recently developed Health Anxiety. I had a sharp pain in my head 3 weeks back and suddenly though, "oh. What if i have a brain tumor?". Since that exact moment, I've been a mess. I've seen 3 doctors, have 2 full-on all singing all dancing eye exams and all's fine. Anyway...

I'd been on Cipralex twice before, since I was 18. I was roughly on it for about a year each time, before coming off. I had little/no side effects apart from maybe a few heacahes when coming off them.

After this recent episode, the doctor recommended I go back on them and afte 3 days, I experienced the most horrendous nausea. I was in a really bad way and was obviously petrified that it was "something else" because I'd never experienced it before despite having being on them twice previously.

I'm now on Sertraline (8 days in) and apart from the immediate nausea/dizziness straight after taking it, it seems to be ok so far...(touch wood).

I was just wondering whether anyone had similar experiences of different reactions to meds they'd been on before? Friend/family suggest that my body has changed during that time (I'm now a lot fitter and healthier) and that could be why I had such an adverse reaction this time.

Nicolex

stomper1999
05-09-10, 18:32
Nicole,

When I first started on Cipralex about 3 months ago, I was struck with overwhelming nausea within about two hours of taking the first tablet. I too figured something was desperately wrong , as along with the nausea came a massive degree of anxiety and panic .. . .that persisted for about three days---until I called the doctor and she suggested taking a 1/2 tablet, (cutting from 10 mg to 5mg) for a few days to get used to the meds, which I did, and it helped greatly. The nausea passed by about 7 days in, after which I resumed taking the full tablet, with no further nausea, and the feelings of panic subsided about two weeks in.

The first week was a living nightmare, for sure, but I seem to have adjusted and feeling a little better as each week goes by.

Hang with it .. . . and know that others face the same adjustment period . . .

Richard

Serafina
11-10-10, 12:01
Cipralex was ok for me at first in low doses, but once i was upped to 20 mg the nausea kicked in and didnt go. The doc shoved me some anti sickness pills and told me to carry on but they didnt do it for me and i ended back up on fluoxetine which i have been back on on three seperate occasions and each time i have felt different with different side effect etc :)

ems43
11-10-10, 12:04
hi there, i had exactly the same thing happen. have been on it a number of times for generalised anxiety/ intrusive thoughts and it worked wonders.... this time i went on it it sent my anxiety through the roof and made me an awful lot worse. now switched to mitzapinine. its very odd how our bodies react differently to the same medication when it has worked before!x