PDA

View Full Version : Breathing and exertion

angels22165
07-09-10, 10:52
Hello, does anyone else panic when they have done anything to raise there heart rate, this has been going on for a very long time - on waiting list for CBT therapy - but just wondering if anyone feels the same - even just walking upstairs or doing the shopping - just feels I can't get enough air and then I think about my breathing, chest goes tight and start to panic - at the moment Im limiting myself in what Im doing because it just scares me so much. Thank-you for any replies :)

JFlower
07-09-10, 10:55
If I'm having an anxiety ridden day (most days) then this happens to me too - not all of the time but enough to make me worry about being able to breathe for a considerable amount of time afterwards :(

angels22165
07-09-10, 10:59
Hi JFlower, thanks for the reply, when you feel like this what do you do to settle your breathing back down? I always reach for my phone and play a game, anything to stop me thinking about how im breathing. :)

blueangel
07-09-10, 12:24
This happens to me a lot as well - I suppose it's one of my major problems these days as I've managed to rationalise most of the others. It also seems to be quite random; I can walk into town quickly after work and not think about it, then go up a short flight of stairs at home and then find it will focus me on my breathing for half an hour. It's very frustrating, but distraction definitely does work.

angels22165
07-09-10, 12:31
Thanks Blueangel, have you had cbt to help you rationalise your thoughts or have you managed to fo this by yourself? :)

JFlower
07-09-10, 18:39
when you feel like this what do you do to settle your breathing back down? I always reach for my phone and play a game, anything to stop me thinking about how im breathing. :)
After I've felt my pulse (lol) I tend to try to make a chamomile tea or go on the computer and think of something else. Usually a few 7/11 breathes to try help settle me. All about distraction though - if my thought process is good then it settles far easier than on 'bad' days.

blueangel
08-09-10, 09:19
Thanks Blueangel, have you had cbt to help you rationalise your thoughts or have you managed to fo this by yourself? :)

I had some useful counselling about 10 years ago, which helped my anxiety a lot, as at the time I was getting quite frequent panic attacks. I've also tried to do stuff myself, mainly by listening to the rational side of my brain and using that to shut up the irrational stuff.

However, the issue of fretting about my breathing has appeared much more recently, so I've tried to apply the same rules (but it doesn't always work that simply!)