PDA

View Full Version : First day back at work, Panic attacks and spots

Ambers
07-09-10, 21:17
I thought I would give a run down on my first day back at work after 4 weeks sickness (signed off work for anxiety)

Firstly I had to tackle to 20 min train ride to work - I have kinda bottled out as my husband came with me and took me to the doorstep of work. However even on the platform with him, I was shaking, had lump in my throat, and bad tummy problems. Twice I thought about going home to use the toilet and getting a later train, but both times hubby presuaded me that it was just 'nervous wind' (sorry TMI). Actually once on the train although nervous I was ok...but like I said had hubby with me and generally my fears tend to strike when I am alone.

I was a shaking mess once inside work, very tearful, and to be frank my bosses were quite worried and felt maybe I was coming back too early. I said that although I looked like a nervous wreck that I knew that if I didn't tackle being back at work that it would be another area that closed down for me and another place I would avoid. I had to stay!

When I actually walked into my office I could tell that eveyone was quite shocked at my appearance but I just smiled (a fake smile)..I have lost lots of weight, pale and spotty but probably the most worrying feature was that my whole body was shaking uncontrollably - and shock all day long ( I can barely eat without the food falling off the cutlery). I am not going to lie there were parts of the day where I felt so sick, losing it, and at one point I needed another female to take me to the toilet in case I fainted! But I did it.. by reminding myself that it was just the anxiety doing this and if I did have another panic attack then I would ride through it.

I tried to explain to a friend at work how I felt and asked them to imagine a fear that they have or something they wouldn't do such as jumping out of a plane - and how they would feel at that point. Well thats pretty much how I feel all the time and that anxiety is running through my body, and I cannot switch it off...there is no saying 'no' to that jump!

I managed to get the train home all on my own - but for so odd reason I dont seem to have a problem with that - it's kinda like I am going home to safety...strange!

However by the time I was home I was phyically drained - a huge blood blister came up on the roof of my mouth, legs were like lead and flu-like tiredness, probably all caused by the stress of the whole day. Although I was overall happy with my progress it certainly took it out of me and actually I felt quite depressed (almost like coming down from a high).

Next CBT on Thursday, I know I still have alot to face, there is so much I couldn't even consider attempting just yet.

Oh to be normal, I envy normality.

racdun
07-09-10, 22:29
Well done for sticking it out and doing the day. It cant get any worse than today so tomorrow should be easier and the day after better still. Stay with it and soon you will be going to work without any anxiety. Sounds like you have good support at work too.
rachael

Kell
08-09-10, 09:01
Well done! You're being very brave. I think what we anxiety sufferers need to remember is that we are strong people because we have to face this battle with ourselves every day. People who are lucky enough never to have suffered with anxiety will never understand how terrifying and upsetting it is. The physical symptoms can be horrendous and so to be able to "carry on as normal" is hard work.
I can relate to exactly how you feel as I have had several periods off work with anxiety only to find it difficult to return to work. It is so hard coming back to work after a period of time off but you're doing the right thing by facing your fear. I am going through a period of anxiety at the moment but refused a sick note from the doctor as I felt that being off work would not help. Facing the anxiety is what helps break the cycle.

Just take each day as it comes, do what you can & try to take what positives you can from each day.

Take care

Kel
x

sharon35
08-09-10, 09:53
Ambers weldone!
You've done better than me im due to go back monday after 6 weeks off and im not going back, the last few days ive just paniced and cried so much, to the point i feel really ill.
You are so so strong! you should feel very proud of yourself. xxx

heavenly
08-09-10, 12:27
Really proud of you Ambers. Normality....over-rated by most of us, isn't it...but what we would give to have it on a regular basis!!

You are doing really well, I know what you mean about coping with travel if you are going home...safety net at home, you feel safe etc. Just don't be hard on yourself, do what you can cope with and keep telling people/loved ones/friends etc..how you are feeling. Good luck with the CBT, I am sure it will help you. Keep us posted! xxx