PDA

View Full Version : new member

mandiemae
01-03-06, 12:45
Hello there. a new member here. interested to read experiences and hopefully gain some ideas. It will be interesting to see how many people, like me, have so little faith in the medical system and feel let down by it.

I have suffered depression on and off now for a number of years and now, having read up on a number of things, believe i have GAD. but dont know where to start to find out for sure and seek help.

Meg
01-03-06, 12:52
Hello Mandiemae

Welcome to the site

Common Symptoms of Panic Attacks, Anxiety, Phobias and OCD. (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/NMPcms.php?nmppage=symptoms)

First Steps to overcoming Panic and Anxiety (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=942)

Health Anxiety (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/NMPcms.php?nmppage=healthanxiety)

Do have a good read up on here amongst all the catagories and home pages and hope you find answers to your questions - if not just ask

Meg
www.anxietymanagementltd.com

Your anxiety is the human representation of the pictures that you paint using your many vivid colours of revolving and reoccurring thoughts.
How big is your gallery ?

Karen
01-03-06, 12:59
Hi Mandiemae

Welcome to the forum.

You will find a lot of support here. Let us know if there is any information you need or we can help in any way.

Karen

Happiness is not a state to arrive at but a manner of travelling.

You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough ~ Christine Cagney, Cagney & Lacey

Ma Larkin
01-03-06, 13:12
Hi Mandiemae, I feel let down by the medical system. If you look at everybody's symptoms, we are all suffering from the same thing, albeit we might not get all the symptoms that extreme sufferers have to persevere with, but if we are all suffering from anxiety & panic attacks, then why the hell are we all on different medications!! I was on clomipramine, apparently an old-fashioned anti-depressant, no-one else seems to be on this, its always citalopram or cipralex. I don't take my meds any more, its not that I don't see the point any more, I just want to make myself believe that its mind over matter & that I need to change my negative thoughts & stop believing that I am not going to die of a heart attack. I'm a prime candidate for CBT, but when I was assessed the CBT assessor said I didn't need it! I couldn't believe it, I have extreme health anxiety yet this professional sat there and told me I didn't need it when everyone else on NMP seems to get CBT for health anxiety. I just don't understand the system any more. This is all relatively new to me, only had anxiety & PA's for 12 months but am gaining lots of knowledge about it from this site.

Hope you manage to find something that can control your symptoms. I found counselling helped, it was good to talk to someone, but I'd rather do that on this site now. It really puts my mind at ease.

Take care.

Les

Munchkin
01-03-06, 13:14
Welcome to the forum Mandiemae

"A Journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step"

trac67
01-03-06, 13:15
Hi mandiemae,

Welcome to the forum, you will get a lot of good advice here and make some new friends.

Take care

Trac xx

'Live your life with arms wide open, today is where your book begins, the rest is still unwritten'

mandiemae
01-03-06, 13:21
hi lesley, you sound very much like myself. I was on anti depressants citalopram, but stopped taking them feeling mind over matter sort of thing. I felt that the doctor pammed me off with tablet to get me out the office and it is covering the real reason i am having symtoms. i feel a strong need to get to the root of the problem so i can understand, make changes and move on. But knowing where to go and who to talk to in the medical profession is a daunting task in itself. i have good days and bad days. recently getting worse as i resigned at the end of last year following a panic attack at work in a confined space. Im at home not working and looking after my kids and partner, feeling a little shut off now. I will get there, i know i will, if i could just stop panicing and getting ratty at the kids.

lildutt
01-03-06, 13:28
welcome hun
hope you get the support i do from these lovely ladies and gentlemen
bell x

Ma Larkin
01-03-06, 13:38
I know the feeling Mandiemae, the kids copped for most of it when I first started suffering. I felt that I kinda used them to some extent as well. Being a single parent I put Kian (my son, he's 5) in bed with me because I was scared to be on my own. Worst thing I could have done! There were nights when I was OK & wanted to sleep on my own, but how was I supposed to explain that to Kian, I just ended up shouting at him & telling him to sleep in his own bed, which made him cry & just confused him. It was awful, how selfish of me, but it got easier as I got more used to the anxiety & PA's. I work full-time, which in a way has been a blessing for me, i'd die if I had a major PA in front of anyone at work. I have had them in work, but I leg it round to our Occupational Health department next door & they stick me in a room til i'm over it.

Les

Alexandra
01-03-06, 16:46
Hi Mandiemae

Welcome to the forum.

You will get lots of support & help here.

Take Care

Alex

Many People Will Walk
In & Out Of Your Life
But Only True Friends
Will Leave Footprints
In Your Heart

seh1980
01-03-06, 16:55
Welcome aboard!! :D

"If life were simple, word would have got around"

KimL
01-03-06, 17:09
Hi I'm new here too. I too have health anxiety, especially with my back. I started medication but came off it as the side effects were awful. I started with severe anxiety this time last year but have had panic attacks on and off for about 10 years. Does anyone have any thoughts on a link with HRT and panic.

clickaway
01-03-06, 17:13
Welcome aboard, Mandimae.

I too am disappointed with the help I got from the health centre. It seems that GP's are trained to deal with us, and referrals come sometimes take a long time.

Inexpensive iniatives like self-help groups and things like this site are a great help, especially to people who cannot get immediate or effective treatment, but that's all rather hit and miss.

Luckily, my town has a number of self help-groups which are now advertised at the health centes. But two years ago, this was not the case and I didn't know where to turn. The GP did not even suggest the presence of more established people like No Panic.

Anyway, enough of the rant!

You are here now, and I'm sure this site will help you loads!

Ray
http://www.anxietyrelease.org.uk/

And when you get the choice to sit it out or dance, I hope you dance.
~Mark Sanders and Tia Sillers

jackie
01-03-06, 19:19
hi mandie and welcome. i hope we can help you as many feel the system doesnt care

we do
jackie

sueiamnew
01-03-06, 20:01
Hi Mandiemae, welcome to the site.

maggs
07-03-06, 14:29
Hi mandimae and everyone on the forum

I'm new to the forum too and just left a post on the forum under meds.

I have been told i have GAD and depression and was given clomipramine which i noticed you mentioned in your post. I haven't taken it yet as i am scared too!!! I read into all the side-effects wondering if they will happen to me. I have been off meds for 13months now and although my panic attacks are much better i still get anxious thoughts. I'm at home with two kids also and it can be a struggle to act normally when heck, sometimes it's just to hard. I'm interested to know how you got on with the above type of meds and any success.

thanks
maggs

maggs
07-03-06, 14:30
Hi mandimae

I'm new to the forum too and just left a post on the forum under meds.

I have been told i have GAD and depression and was given clomipramine which i noticed you mentioned in your post. I haven't taken it yet as i am scared too!!! I read into all the side-effects wondering if they will happen to me. I have been off meds for 13months now and although my panic attacks are much better i still get anxious thoughts. I'm at home with two kids also and it can be a struggle to act normally when heck, sometimes it's just to hard. I'm interested to know how you got on with the above type of meds and any success.

thanks
maggs

keepemlaughing
06-08-08, 18:47
Welcome from me as well.
Sheryl

kellie
06-08-08, 19:55
Hiya :welcome: to NMP its lovely to have you here

Lindalou64
07-08-08, 12:30
Hello Mandiemae And Welcome To The Site , I Wish Ya Well, Linda

nomorepanic
07-08-08, 22:17
Please note this post dates back to 2006!