PDA

View Full Version : Had my first CBT appointment today!

Munchkin
01-03-06, 13:06
Well, I did it! :D I actually really enjoyed my first session.

My Psychologist seems nice, he used to teach for the Open University...so he seems to know what he's talking about.

He asked me a lot of questions...and I began to see how my answers were linked...it was strange. I also found myself linking my thoughts...and how i've managed to form such bad thought patterns based on experiances from my childhood. I also realised how silly these thought patterns were, and that my thoughts were going round in circles....which actually made me laugh somewhat!

I have another appointment next Wednesday and I feel quite positive about it...we'll see.

Can I just ask others who've had CBT, when did you start keeping a diary? I was half expecting to come out with a bit of homework after everything I've read, but nothing yet. I suppose this comes later on?

Thanks everyone for the support before I went, it helped a lot.
xxxx

kate
01-03-06, 15:19
Hi Munchkin,

Glad to see that it all went well for you :D

Mines still going well, saw the counsellor again on Monday. Looks like he might be stuck with me for about the next 10 years!

When I had CBT I didn't start keeping the diary until a few weeks into it.

Good luck for next week.

Kate

"Everybody's changing and I don't feel the same"

Munchkin
01-03-06, 16:39
Thanks Kate!

So glad to hear your therapy is going good, I hope it continues to help. Its good to have someone to talk to, just to offload everything.

Take care xxx

"A Journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step"

Piglet
01-03-06, 19:33
Munchkin that's a good positive start mate - I look forward to hearing your progress in future posts :)

Kate mate - wow that's smashing about the counsellor, I hadn't realised that was happening. How long have you been seeing him/her, is it at the doctors surgery, is it helping?????

Love Piglet xx

andrew
01-03-06, 22:07
hi munchkin,

pleased to read you liked the counselling and found it helpful with recognising your thought patterns. keeping a diary does help to keep track of what your doing, how your feeling and always good to look back to see how much progress youve made. i can remember getting some 'homework' when having counselling - it was lots of forms about how anxious you get doing this and that, i think it was about raising my awareness of anxiety triggers. at some point later on .. you might discuss doing challenges that confront your anxiety.

keep us posted, you take care .. andrew

hi kate, stick with it hun .. tcx

kate
02-03-06, 15:20
Piglet,

I mentioned my counselling in the original post that Munchkin made.

I don't post anymore about what is happening in my life as no one seems remotely interested as I never received more that a couple of replies to the last posts that I made.

I wish I could leave the site completely but I still unfortunately get the pull to visit and read how everyone is doing and can't seem to break away :( I really wish I didn't feel the need to do this and could just walk away completely.

Andrew, I will definately stick with it.

Kate

"Everybody's changing and I don't feel the same"

Piglet
02-03-06, 17:07
I am so sorry you feel like that Kate.

Unfortunately we have so many posts and I just can't read every one, much as I would like to have the time to do so. I tend to leave the ones that I have no experience of like medication ones or CBT ones as I have very little to offer in the way of advice there.

I wish you all the very best with it though :)

Love Piglet xx

Munchkin
02-03-06, 18:28
I've Pm'd you Kate.

Thanks again everyone, if I can help others through my experiances then that would be great, so i'll keep you posted.
xx

nomorepanic
02-03-06, 19:25
Munchkin

Great news. You can keep a diary on here if you want to and add to it each week.

Nicola

Karen
02-03-06, 20:05
Glad it went to well Munchkin.

<b id="quote">quote:</b id="quote"><table border="0" id="quote"><tr id="quote"><td class="quote" id="quote">I don't post anymore about what is happening in my life as no one seems remotely interested as I never received more that a couple of replies to the last posts that I made.
<div align="right">Originally posted by kate - 02 March 2006 : 15:20:00</div id="right">
</td id="quote"></tr id="quote"></table id="quote">
Kate - This is soo not true. We are interested and do care. I am sorry if you've felt like this is not the case.

Like Piglet, I reply to as many posts as I can but have two forums and spend 3 days at a day clinic now and don't have the time I once did. I also tend to reply to posts I think I might have something useful to say.

I really hope the counselling is going well. You have friends here Kate so please don't feel you need to leave.

Karen

Happiness is not a state to arrive at but a manner of travelling.

You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough ~ Christine Cagney, Cagney & Lacey

Meg
02-03-06, 23:35
Great news - Glad the counselling and CBT are going well for you both.

Munchin - you can start a diary as soon as you can - you don't need to wait to be asked, although he may tweak what you are asked to record at some point.

Really glad that you have made the link between your thoughts. This is pivotal to a swift progress.

Meg
www.anxietymanagementltd.com

Your anxiety is the human representation of the pictures that you paint using your many vivid colours of revolving and reoccurring thoughts.
How big is your gallery ?

Munchkin
03-03-06, 13:40
Thanks Meg! I am actually really looking forward to my appointment next week...usually I dread any appointments.

Nicola, I will keep a diary on here, i'll start one next time I go when perhaps i'll have something more to report on.