PDA

View Full Version : Diet cheating

Sit2Know
08-09-10, 14:45
I know that what we eat is almost as powerful as a drug. Back in March my blood work showed that I was a little high on my fasting glucose so my doctor sent me to a dietitian to try to get it lower.

We have eaten nearly organically and whole foods for over 30 years but I do like bread, especially ethnic breads and they can be as glycemic as table sugar or worse. So I was given a diet that was near the Adkins diet with the only carbs from vegetables. As my glycogen stores went down I started having panic attacks, which I had not done in 20 years. I was told the body would change to learn to get necessary glycogen from protein and fats. Six week later I was so sick I was ready to die.

So I went back on my old diet sans the bread and treats. I stabilized in a week but it took at least 6 weeks for my nervous system to recover. Now over the past few months I have started cheating with a cookie after a meal or more bread. Last night I went overboard with noodle soup, 5 slices of French bread and 3 cookies....and I crashed hard and was sick all night.

I am wondering if my random cheating is causing some nervous system compromises even though I am not getting a profound crash like last night. What have others found.

Thanks for reading and responding.

Sit