PDA

View Full Version : Alcohol and citalopram

bluebirds2005
28-02-04, 14:44
does anyone no if u can drink on citalopram got a party commn up and it would be nice to have a few beers

gareth

Meg
28-02-04, 14:53
Yes you can have 'a few' , but if you overdo it, you'll know about it the next day.

Not just a headache. You may feel shaky and more anxious than previously

Meg

kd
29-02-04, 16:51
I take efexor (venfalfaxine) and I drink alcohol. Though you are not supposed to. I think i am beginning to realise why! I get drunk much quiecker than i used to and i get tired too. I was out drinking on friday and I got the comment "god, you're eyes" - i think they maty possibly have been rolling a small bit! i probably looked like I'd taken some illicit drugs! I also find i reach a limit and just cannot drink anymore. My party days are over I think !!!!

gismo1979
30-07-04, 11:12
My boyfriend was on citalopram and he got drunk extremly quickly and it made him more unpredictable and anxious. It is my advice not to drink while taking these tablets.

twister
30-07-04, 18:55
I am on Cipralex and drink like a fish!

Cipralex is very similar to citalopram (newer version) and the leaflet actually states 'has no known interaction with alcohol'.

However, some people find that alcohol makes them more anxious the next day and this would probably occur with or without the tablets. If I were you I'd have a few but go easy and see how you feel for the future.

Emily

Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit
Understanding is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad

HB
31-07-04, 10:52
when i was on citalopram i could drink one night and feel fine and another time feel absolutely terrible so be very very careful :-)

H

jazmine
29-01-06, 19:40
i went out for my friends birthday, didnt drink more than normal and was in a comedy club, spun out big time and had to make a dash for the toilet was sick and had to leave the show. mixing anti depressants with booze seems to enhance the effcect and i felt terrible next morning. dont recommend it

Badger66
27-03-06, 19:43
Hi all,

I've wondered about Citalopram and alcohol myself - I've been on 20mg for about 3 years and feel that I'm unwise in drinking my 'normal' amount which is low-ish during the week and binge-ish at the weekend.

I find that for a couple days after an amount of alcohol I'll be very edgy and anxious. I find also that I feel rather shaky and will break a sweat very easily.

I think that the wisest thing to do would be not to drink or failing that limit oneself to a couple of glasses of wine at most, but living in the UK's booze culture makes this difficult. It seems like I just want to have my cake and eat it...

I'm sure that booze upsets a chemical system in my brain and it takes a couple of days to right itself during which time I find my nerves are quite bad. Does this match other peoples' experience.

Take Care,

Simon

Two heads
02-04-06, 00:38
Well ive just been out and had loads of alcohol,frist time in weeks so far so good!I have been a little scared about drinking with the drugs but i went out for the frist time in ages tonight and i thought i wont no how i feel entil i try.Will let you no in the morning.x

chop
02-04-06, 09:09
Some can, some cant.
SSRI's and alcohol make me very unpredictable and land me in jail often. (I dont drink anymore)
Not an uncommon story if you drink a lot with these pills but everyone is different.

Chop

Learning to under react

andrew england 2
02-04-06, 15:17
when or if I feel better I am gonna drink on escitalopram and will subscribe to this post and see how everyone else gets on with drink and the med.

but only way i will find out is by doing it and will post when i do it

shalom
12-07-06, 08:04
Hi. Wish I'd met you in '98 when I started with the ISSR's. I was citalopram for as few years, then shifted to this cleaner escitalopram, and like it proposes, seems to have less side-effects.

I was put on them partially to help me with alcoholism, to get clean. I'm amazed at your ability to tell the difference between before and after ISSR drinking and hangovers. I can't tell, except perhaps as someone wrote, I feel more ready to go home already, and also, not the same paralyzing depression, guilt, etc. after a night out as before. I had attributed it to the Gift of Aging (now 50), but maybe the meds are helping in this regard?

Good luck to you all,
Shalom

shalom
12-07-06, 08:12
p.s. typo: "I was citalopram for as few years" waas supposed to read "I was ON citalopram for A few years". Perhaps the meds cause typing problems....

In any case, I think someone said escitalopram says explicitly no alcohol probalem. The page in my Cipralex reads, "Do not drink wines or alcoholic beverages while under treatment with this medicine." Gee, too bad I didn't happen tp read that for the past few years...

Shalom,
Shalom

Two heads
12-07-06, 20:49
I have been on citalopram for four months!
I drink a few glasses of weak wine[9%]in the week.And if i go out i drink barcardi and lemonade as i do find wine can go to ones head a bit.
I think its ok to drink a few but check out your new limits slowly.The drink does go to your head quicker!xxx

paddywac
14-09-06, 09:00
<b id="quote">quote:</b id="quote"><table border="0" id="quote"><tr id="quote"><td class="quote" id="quote">
Hi all,

I've wondered about Citalopram and alcohol myself - I've been on 20mg for about 3 years and feel that I'm unwise in drinking my 'normal' amount which is low-ish during the week and binge-ish at the weekend.

I find that for a couple days after an amount of alcohol I'll be very edgy and anxious. I find also that I feel rather shaky and will break a sweat very easily.

I think that the wisest thing to do would be not to drink or failing that limit oneself to a couple of glasses of wine at most, but living in the UK's booze culture makes this difficult. It seems like I just want to have my cake and eat it...

I'm sure that booze upsets a chemical system in my brain and it takes a couple of days to right itself during which time I find my nerves are quite bad. Does this match other peoples' experience.

Take Care,

Simon

<div align="right">Originally posted by Badger66 - 27 March 2006 : 19:43:21</div id="right">
</td id="quote"></tr id="quote"></table id="quote">

Pat McCrea BSc-IACP

paddywac
14-09-06, 09:26
Hi Simon

Your right the alcohol upsets the balance of the seratonin re-uptake chemical system in the brain (especially binge drinking) it can take a few days to re-balance, old symptoms may appear incl the ones you mentioned and even re-accurance of panic attacks. However I have noticed with some clients that the odd glass of wine (with food) has little adverse effects if any.
It's hard not having a few drinks when your out with friends at the weekends, I can empathise completely.

Take Care P.

Hi all,

Take Care,

Simon

<div align="right">Originally posted by Badger66 - 27 March 2006 : 20:43:21</div id="right">
[/quote]

Pat McCrea BSc-IACP

chop
14-09-06, 09:56
I used to bash people when I drank and was on an SSRI med.

People can be unpredicatable sometimes.

Definately better off not to drink (pills will work better) if you can but if you do, then make sure its just a few.

Paul

before one can discover new oceans, one must first have the courage to leave the shore

Two heads
15-09-06, 22:50
I have now been on citalopram for 7months nearly!I have ben upping my wine slowly to see how my mind and body cope.So far ive found i tend to stick still with the weaker wines 9%,11%.I have reach the limit of 3 large glasses so far,so far so good!
I think if your going to drink with meds just up it slowly entil you have found your limit as when you are young and drinking for the frist time again.Everybody is different and thats what we have to remember.xxx

Two heads
19-09-06, 17:22
I have just changed brands of citalopram which i have been taking since march,but the new brand say no alcohol!
But the brand i have been taking since march say disscuss alcohol with your doctor.My doctor said it was fine to have a few glases of vino.
They have the same active ingredent so why say different?
Any replys gratefulxxxxxx

Daisybun
21-09-06, 19:16
Hi my med info in the pack says do not drink alcohol while taking this medicine. Bit contradictory !!!

Take care
Daisybun

'This too will pass'

Two heads
21-09-06, 21:01
Thanks for the reply daisybun!
I known they need to make up there minds dont they!xxxxxx

twister
22-09-06, 17:44
Shalom are you in the UK? Because my Cipralex definitely says 'no known interaction with alcohol.' I have been on these pills for a couple of years and drink as normal (i.e quite a lot in my job!) and have noticed no difference to previously.

Emily

Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit
Understanding is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad

Aleks
28-09-06, 12:06
Hi everyone, i'm new to this group, thought i'd add my experience with alcohol

I've been on citalopram for some time and find a few drinks is ok, however i drank 5 pints of stella on the sunday just gone. I woke up in the morning and it was like someone had switched my medication off. I sat there the whole morning thinking of all the ways i could kill myself. I had a real struggle to keep a lid on it. Ended up going out for a walk all afternoon. Still felt crap early evening but not as suicidal.

Day two and things got much better, and after three days i feel normal again. I'm not going to do that again in a hurry as it was torture. Plan a period of abstanation from alcohol for a month or two.

Hope this helps

Aleks

Two heads
28-09-06, 17:59
Well it is interesting how we all seem to react with meds and alcohol!
I have had a drink with the new brand and i felt no different.
All the brands just seem to say different,owe well heres to happy drinking!!!

Badger66
28-09-06, 18:14
Hi all,

I found out eventually that 30mg Citalopram and heavy drinking don't mix... I was in a bar drinking away and generally having a good time and then passed out - the next thing I knew I was in the A&E talking to a doctor. I then spent the next 3 days feeling amazingly anxious and depressed (so I can completely identify with what Aleks said) until my system righted itself again afterwards.

Suffice it to say that this was a wake up call for me and having consulted with the doctor I've rigorously stuck to his advice of a 2 drink max. I don't set this out as the right way for everybody, but I've felt miles better since I really laid off the booze. Everyone has got to find what works for them, but I'd advise caution when throwing booze into the mix with Citalopram.

Take Care,

Simon

stefan
29-09-06, 09:36
Hi all, I drink a few small glasses of wine a day and find it ok. The advice on the packet says 'no alcohol', but my GP and articles i've read on the internet says it's OK to drink alcohol, but not too much.
Five pints of Stella (strong stuff) is nearly 20 units of alcohol (1 unit being a small glass of wine or half a pint of beer). This is nearly the amount recommended for a whole week! Even without taking Citalopram, I'd be under the table.
Take care, Stefan.

Two heads
29-09-06, 10:03
Yep i would agree with you there stefan i would be well under the table drinking stella!!
I stick with up two all three glasses of white wine everyother day and its no more that 9,10% really.I have found this to be ok.
I must admit it would be lovely to have a binge drink again once in a while,lol.xxxx

reddevil
29-09-06, 11:59
I have just been put on citalopram and I was hoping I still could have 2 pints in the evening with my wife to help wind the day down.

Red

Cracker
01-10-06, 19:39
i ended up finding this thread purely as I typed alcohol and citalopram into google!...

It DOESN'T mix...I feel shocking for 1/2 maybe even 3 days after it now!

AndyT
18-12-06, 12:39
Hey all - so glad I found this thread - I too found this by typing Alcohol and Citalopram into Google!

I've been on 30mg of Citalopram for 3 years now, and have recently dropped down to 20mg and have noticed some pretty bad effects the day after drinking heavily, but this weekend was shockingly bad. I went out for a work party, with free bar all night, and I took pretty good advantage of that! Then the following night I went out for a Xmas meal and drinks with friends and stayed up all night drinking Rum and Red Bull - which definitely wasn't a good idea as the next day (yesterday) I woke up and felt awful - as bad as I ever had at the start of my problems - which were really bad anxiety and depression.

I've been feeling ridiculously anxious for the last 2 days now, though the 2nd day (today) is slightly better. I have noticed that you do feel back to normal after a few days, but it's that period in between that is almost unbearable - especially when you've been feeling better than ever for a long long time!

I can't help but feel I've set myself back. I had been feeling perfect for months, and then this episode really reminded me that I'm on these drugs...

I have a question for people here though - will I ever be able to drink heavily/party again once i'm off the Citalopram, or will I always have to watch myself? Do people who have been on Citalopram find that when they are off it they can drink without having to worry about the next day?

Also this Cipralex sounds good - can you make the switch directly from Citalopram to Cipralex without any adverse reactions?

Many thanks,

Andy

Chopper
19-12-06, 09:10
Morning all,

I'm on 40mg of Citalopram a day and enjoy a couple of glasses of white wine every lunchtime and maybe another couple in the evening.

I never have a hangover and sleep well (I reckon I'm one of the lucky ones on Citalopram who do?)

An added benefit I've found is that going to the pub at lunchtime for an hour gets me away from my desk and into social situations. I chat to a group of pensioners about their wartime experiences, grandkids, football, photography, politics - generally we put the world to rights!

I don't think I'd have managed to get this far into the Autumn without a combination of Citalopram, Chardonnay and Cameraderie!

Anyone else manage OK on this combination or do you find the bevvy interferes with the medication?

Happiness and light to you all,
'Chopper'

I saw her once, one little while, and then no more:
’Twas Eden’s light on Earth a while, and then no more.
Amid the throng she passed along the meadow-floor:
Spring seemed to smile on Earth awhile, and then no more;
But whence she came, which way she went, what garb she wore
I noted not; I gazed a while, and then no more!

James Clarence Mangan 1803 - 1849

happyone
19-12-06, 21:16
I take 30 mg Citalopram and I can't manage more than one glass of wine or one bottle of beer. At the time of drinkng say two or three I feel ok, no different to pre citalopram. However, through the night, I waken and feel REALLY drunk. Head swimming, nausea and a feeling like I have a migraine coming on. The following day I feel really edgy and anxious. Yet a few years ago when I was on Prozac, I could drink no bother, even more so than I could normally.
Everyone is different. I would say proceed with caution.
Incidentally, I found this site too by Googling alcohol and citalopram!

Happyone
x

coxy
31-12-06, 11:19
I've been back on citalopram (20mg) for 4 weeks now for post natal depression.
Whilst I was depressed, I went right off alcohol and for the first couple of weeks of taking citalopram whilst my system got used to the medication.
I'm now drinking moderately again, i.e. not at all in the week but a few of a saturday evening and when I go out with friends (not often).
I find my tolerance is much lower and I get tipsy after the 1st drink; and the other day I drank 3 vodka and cokes without food and threw up! [xx(]
I also find that even after a couple of drinks, I get an exaggerated hangover in the night (headache, deydration) and next morning which affects my sleep.

My advice is be sensible - know your (new) limits and the consequences of drinking and how it affects you mentally and physically. All things considered, enjoy a drink if it makes you happy, but lay off it makes you feel crappy the next day.

[:P]

dandelioneater86
04-01-07, 08:45
Add another person to the list of people who typed "Citalopram and Alcohol" into Google.

It's so nice to here about everyone else's experiences with the post binge drinking anxiety and awful hangovers. I've just begun taking Citalopram and I am in college so it's quite difficult to find anyone who doesn't want to drink every night of winter break. I had developed alcoholism somewhat and this drug is really making me step away from it, but I've become antisocial because I never want to go hang out with my friends and be the only one not getting drunk.

Would everyone say it's generally agreed that casual, light drinking doesnt have the same effects as bingeing? I've been afraid to drink or anything recently. It would be nice to just hang out with my friends and have just a beer again.

samc100
06-01-07, 15:44
I found when I first began on the tablets I couldn't drink without feeling horrible and scared the following day.

Now 6 months in I can manage 2-3 glasses of wine but I only do it every few weeks and I was told if going out in the evening for a drink have your tablet(s) in the morning so they get to work.

dandelioneater86
10-01-07, 02:08
Stupid me, I know the day after I drink is hell but i still do it. It seems like my grandparents always end up in town on those days too.

I have to talk to them and it's horrible because I can't make eye contact, I can't sit still, and I have tremors genetically anyway but they get so bad that I can barely function. When I'm around people who talk directly to me I panic and start physically shaking extremely badly. I've found the only thing I want to do after a night of drinking is sit in my garage and smoke cigarrettes. Luckily I have one person that i can actually talk to comfortably on these days, and he's usually down for just sitting around and hanging out. Thank God for understanding friends. :-)

Chopper
10-01-07, 09:50
Dandy',

Can I ask what you drink?

I've not had a beer in, oh, 3 years or more but get through white wine like you wouldn't believe ... easily a bottle, bottle and a half, a day, without any negative effects.

Beer and spirits made me feel terrible, bloated and 'sicky', but wine doesn't and I find it doesn't negate the Citalopram.

I'm not advocating drinking copious amounts of chardonnay, just suggesting that as Russel Crowe said in Master and Commander "always choose the lesser of two weevils"!:D

Happiness and light to all,
'Chopper'

Rollingperson
15-01-07, 21:03
Hi all,
I too googled Alcohol and Citalopram!
Im new to this. My doctor prescribed this medication to me today and I wanted to check out what peoples experiences were with alcohol. My partner and I like to wind down with a bottle of wine occasionally and I havnt told him about my depression or medication yet. Im sure thats another post[:I]
Im having a glass of wine now and think I'll start the tablets tmw. Dont think I should become a guinee pig on my first day!
Am glad I have found this site...
Kx

"Why do lovers, choose others, we circle entwine one another, in that mask that we wear with each other. Oh my God how I looked in the mirror, I looked at a hollow picture, it was something I could frame"

Rollingperson
15-01-07, 21:12
Actually, I just thought of a question. As I say Im new to this but what if you miss a dose if you know you are drinking that night? What effects then?

"Why do lovers, choose others,
we circle entwine one another,
in that mask that we wear with each other.
Oh my God how I looked in the mirror,
I looked at a hollow picture,
it was something I could frame"

Robertc160882
16-01-07, 08:07
Hello,

I was on citalopram 20mg for about a year and didn’t drink once in that time period in fact haven’t drunk since I came off them. My doctor made it clear if you want to get better quicker avoid alcohol as this sets you back and it is totally un advisable. He explained that the NHS last year which would have been 2005 received a number of calls from people who had drunk on meds and were feeling the panic set back in the next day so you have got to ask yourself why you do it.

I have a personal opinion that is do you need alcohol to enjoy a night out most would say yes but it is what you make it. The trouble is that in the UK we don’t enjoy alcohol sociably but on a binge basis. When people on meds binge they feel it is okay to do so and what the hell the doctor will fix me anyway. If a leaflet says avoid alcohol why do it as it doesn’t say it for no reason my advice is if you want to get better try drinking sociably not binging.

Although this is a strong opinion I realise lots of peoples thoughts may vary from my own but what the hell it’s good to talk.

Have fun

Robert

Stevezapp
18-01-07, 02:44
Hey guys,

I've been suffering from anxiety for about 4 years now, and after advice from my doc and a psychologist i've finally given in to drugs.
I'm 25 and have been a night club manager/pub landlord/off license manager fro around 7 years. I love to get drunk - and so do all of my friends. I've read all of the previous posts and am very anxious (more than normal) to start these drugs to get me better. I thought I could do it on my own, get through this I mean, but I can't do it any more.
I risk losing all of my friends and being a social outcast because of this. I've been signed off of work for 2 weeks (i'm in a high pressure top end IT job), but can I get better soon?
My doc said I can feel better after two weeks, and then go off Citalopram over a period of 3 months. Is this a realistic time period for recovery? Am I going to be on this crap for weeks or years?
Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Steve

Rollingperson
18-01-07, 10:00
Hi Steve,
It sounds like you are putting a lot of pressure on yourself to get better and that is only going to make you more anxious dont you think?
I've only just started this medication myself so cant really give any experienced advice. My doctor told me that I would need to take these for at least 6 months along with some CBT but each case is different.
Re the drinking thing, I know where you are coming from, I cant envisage me not getting drunk for the next 6 months! But am going to at least let the tablets start kicking in and then maybe test one or 2 glasses of wine. If it all goes to pear shaped at least I know and wont go on a session!
Good luck with it hun, hang in there,
Kx

"Why do lovers, choose others,
we circle entwine one another,
in that mask that we wear with each other.
Oh my God how I looked in the mirror,
I looked at a hollow picture,
it was something I could frame"

Stevezapp
18-01-07, 16:45
That sounds like a good idea, and your probably right about me adding pressure to myself.
To be honest, I know that me getting smashed all the time is making things worse - but i've always put that thought to the back of my mind and tried to ignore it.
Looks like its time to accept the facts.

But has anyone had a short affair with Citalopram? Or is it always 1year, 2years.....?

Thanks for the advice K
Steve

rach_11
21-01-07, 18:41
Hi, I'm 18 and a girl. I've just been prescribed citalopram to be honest im extremely scared of taking it. I am of course doing so as I have been struggling with very down moods for along time but I'm very nervous about it. Partly this stems from coming from a comfortable and happy home and regardless of how silly this seems I feel very scared that my moods and mindset has got so bad as to need to the medicine. I don't drinka lot only when i go out and even then I'm quite slim so i cant get away with too much but im finding the idea of explaining to my friends why im not drinking id rather not tell them all , close friends sure but not all, that im on ADs could anyone give their experience of this please :) thanks Rachael

rach_11
21-01-07, 18:43
sorry just realised how poor the grammar was there-
What I'm trying to say is that although I have been down fro a while i don't think my friends have understood the extent and I think telling them I'm on anti depressants will be rather shocking but they are sure to notice if i suddenly stop drinking . I was wondering how people handled telling others they are on the medication and or handled drinking on it :)

happyone
21-01-07, 19:29
Hi Rach.
I tell people I am on long term anti biotics for a skin complaint (I did used to be thats where it came from) You could say you were on long term anti biotics for a low level kidney/urinary tract/throat infection that requires treatment on a low dose over a while. If none of your friends are docs/meds then you should be ok! If they are then they will understand.

happyone

"Today is the day before tomorrow. Tomorrow is another day." wisdom of my daughter!

Chopper
22-01-07, 08:53
Rach,

If you're embarrassed to admit that you've problems that necessitate you having to take medication and don't want to 'enlighten' your friends, tell them you're detoxing, dieting, being sponsored for charity or ..... pregnant!;)

I like my wine and haven't found it a problem at all to combine 'a wee swally' with Citalopram, everyone's different so as the saying goes, "suck it and see"!;)

'Chopper'

Two heads
23-01-07, 19:47
Well hi there all!!
I havet been on the forium for ages, but i just felt i had to coment on my fav subject,acohol!
Im in the process of weaning myself off citalopram and have been for three months,im down to 10mg this week.I have always drunk vino with them like chopper and havet really found a problem with them.
Also i got brave on hoilday last week and drank alot of barcardi and coke and i was fine in the morning but my sister who is not on meds and drunk the same was sick and hungover badly.Sometimes i just wonder if its in peoples minds that it the drug that helps towards the hangover.Just ask yourself would i be feeling this bad if i wasnt on meds?

Chopper
24-01-07, 08:30
Good to hear from you again Two Heads, hope you're well?

It's amazing to read how differently people react to alcohol but being a Jock it's probably something hereditery or genetic or something that allows me to handle the bevvy, with or without Citalopram.

Things are going well for me at the moment but I've no intention of reducing either my dosage or alcohol intake until at least the Spring. Perhaps I'll reduce my wine intake as I reduce my Citalopram dosage .... but then again, maybe not!;)

Each to his own.

'Chopper'

'Chopper'

Let us pray to Him who holds Life’s issues in his hands—
Him who formed the mighty globe, with all its thousand lands;
Girding them with seas and moutains, rivers deep, and strands,
To case a look of pity upon Kathleen-Ni-Houlahan!

Two heads
27-01-07, 19:18
Well hi there chopper!
Im doing ok so far thanks.Feeling alittle anxious today but i will not let that gremlin take over toi heads!
I think tonight its going to be afew glasses of vino followed by lots of food.I have been trying to regain the weight i had lost since jan last year and i have finally done it.
Im so glad you are doing well.keep up the good work.And keep drinking the vino,at least it keeps stress levels down.
xxxxxxx

Two heads
27-01-07, 19:19
I dont quite known what went wrong then with the word two!!!!

<div align="right">Originally posted by Two heads - 27 January 2007 : 13:18:56</div id="right">
[/quote]

shaennen
28-01-07, 17:27
Hi everyone,

I have been taking Citalopram for two months now, my doctor increased the dose and I am now on 30mg. I used to be able to handle my drinks very well before going on medication. Since I have been taking citalopram I have had a few nights out and did things which I cannot even rememberI have been told by friends that I did this and that but have no recollection. anyone experienced that ?
I am really scared !

Thanks

Shaennen

Stevezapp
28-01-07, 17:59
Hehe - sounds like me (well the old me)...

Two heads
28-01-07, 20:50
Hi all!
I have found i have become very forgetful with or without the drink with citalopram!
I think the drug affects your short term memory,well it does mine anyway.
Maybe try changeing your poison?Some times i find what i drink can make a little differents to how i react.xxx

Stevezapp
28-01-07, 20:57
After being on Citalopram for a week, I decided to give alcohol free Becks beer a try today.
God its awful.
I'm gonna try Bitburger next - i'm gonna find a nice one if it kills me ;)

Two heads
28-01-07, 23:06
Good luck stevezapp!
Nothing beats agood vino.............

xxxsmokeyxxx
08-02-07, 13:18
hello

I am just new to this forum.
I discovered it when i was searching on google if its safe to drink alcohol while on citalopam. I have read you should avoid it.
I have only been on the tablets for 4 days now and am feeling a bit sick.
I am ment to be going out next week with my bf and friends drinking.
I am very shy and will only go out with a good drink in me.
do you think it will be ok if i miss the tablet for that day?
sorry if this sounds stupid but i am realy stuck with what to do thanks

Fredward
08-02-07, 15:04
Hi smokey. This is just a guess, but I would think that skipping a day to drink wouldn't achieve anything, because the effect of the tablets is long-term - it's not like each one only affects you for one day. If anyone thinks different please do correct me.
At any rate, from reading the other posts on here it sounds like you should be pretty safe having a few drinks occasionally, but getting trashed definitely isn't a good idea, and you should be aware that it might affect you differently from usual, both on the night and the next day. And remember everyone's different, so be really careful and stop if you feel at all strange.

Chopper
08-02-07, 15:09
Afternoon Smokey,

I'd agree with Fredward, the tablets have, like radioactive isotopes, a 'half-life' meaning that they take a time to get into your system and once working they have a residual effect so missing, or skipping, one won't make any real difference, the medicine will still be in your system working away and awaiting a 'top-up'.

In my considerable experience it's what and how much you drink that'll determine the positive/negative effects of mixing Citalopram and alcohol, try a little of what you like and if there's no down-side, carry on!

'Chopper'

Let us pray to Him who holds Life’s issues in his hands—
Him who formed the mighty globe, with all its thousand lands;
Girding them with seas and moutains, rivers deep, and strands,
To case a look of pity upon Kathleen-Ni-Houlahan!

xxxsmokeyxxx
08-02-07, 16:11
hi thanks for the advice

I suppose it makes sense that missing one wouldnt make much of a difference.

i might try some white wine tonight in the safety of my house see how i get on, so i dont end up making a complete idiot of myself when i go out lol

thanks again :)

Two heads
08-02-07, 17:59
Hi smokey!
I think thats a good idea have a small drink at home.Try and start witha weeker wine, thats what i did when i frist drank with them.I still stick with the weaker stuff now really&lt; unless i go out for a meal!
Good luck im sure you will be fine.Try not to think about it to much when you are drinking it as this can cause anxiety!
xxx

topsy
08-02-07, 18:37
Hi all - A newbie on this but thought I would add my experiences to the discussion.

I have been on and off Citalopram for 2 years and have drank alcohol in pretty much the same quantities as before I was on the meds. I have personally found it is safe to do so in terms of immediate health and also in a psychological sense as well as I never have any adverse 'anxious' reactions the next morning. One thing I have noticed however is that my tolerance to alcohol has increased dramatically - I just cant seem to get drunk anymore! I never used to be the type to binge and lose whole nights in a drunken stupor but I at least got a bit less self conscious, now even though I find drinking enjoyable, I seem to be the only sober one in the group and always get landed with putting people into the appropriate taxis - mind you this could be because im a control freak......;)

Another less pleasant effect I have experienced is my tendency to get annoyed very easily when drinking on citalopram, I am a normally placid person and used to be when drinking before I was on meds but I do find now that I tend to get easily p***ed off when Ive had a few which does cause a certain amount of friction with my partner.

Would be interested to hear if anybody else has had similar experiences.

Cheers!!

Mat

bettybean123
08-02-07, 19:31
hi,
iv been on citalopram for 4 days now.
im wondering about drinking with it, im very worried as the reason y i realised i was depressed was cus everytime i get totally wasted i go psycho.
but i wonder if i maybe just have 2 pints of larger if that wld be ok.
id like to be able to drink as im only 18 n that wat all my mates do at the weekend! i want to still have a life!

ps does ne1 no if citalopram affects the contraceptive pill?
please help.
becky

Mahue
11-02-07, 11:48
I also found this forum by googling Citalopram and Alcohol. I will tell you my experiences so far with this combination. I work on oil rigs where alcohol is not alowed. When I'm only on the Citalopram I feel normal and they are definately working. The reason I went on these meds was for depression which was partly caused by my drinking too much the day after drinking I was feeling suicidal and ashamed of my behaviour while under the infuence.

After my doctor prescribed the medication I have found that I am drinking much more and I just don't have any inhibitions when I'm drinking. It's making me quite frightened. My behaviour is then a source of missery the next day which is clearly counter productive. I am even concidering going off the medication if this continues but a return to depression is also frightening.

Also with respect to side effects the day after since I get the oportunity to experience the meds for long periods of time without any booze in my system I can definately say the day after drinking is horrible and I avoid taking my med time much later in the day. I feel anxious and I get a strange feeling in my brain/head.

I hope this helps those who are looking into whether it is a good idea because I really think it's not unless you are very very careful. One or two glasses of wine might be ok but a proper session isn't in my experience.

Evie
13-02-07, 11:19
I was on Ciprimil for seven months and wouldn't have dreamt of drinking while I was on it. I probably would have been ok to do it, medically speaking, but I preferred to stay "sober" as some of the drug side effects (shaking etc) were weird enough without adding alcohol to the mixture.

Besides, my head was not too great and being a little scared at what I was feeling and experiencing I preferred to know that anything I felt was a result of the pills not the alcohol.

Drugs and alcohol both have a very powerful effect on our bodies (that's why we take them) and need to be treated with caution but on the other hand if we're on them because we're depressed then a good night out with your mates and a few pints is as good a tonic as I know! Just take it slowly, experiment and see what works for you.

celia davies
05-12-07, 14:59
hiya,
ive been on citalopham for six weeks an find that im more forgetable as in cant remember things what happened maybe i just drank to much,just drink in moderation an drink plenty of water
celia x

samc100
05-12-07, 16:59
My therapist told me if I wanted a drink in the evening then to have my tablet in the morning as it would cause less problems. I found it only took 1 glass of wine for me to be tiddley!

GreenSky
12-01-12, 22:58
I asked my pharmacist this question and he said it was ok to "have the odd social drink". That said, I am yet to put that theory to the test in my own case so far!

Steve37
12-01-12, 23:10
I asked my pharmacist this question and he said it was ok to "have the odd social drink". That said, I am yet to put that theory to the test in my own case so far!

I went for a drink on Tuesday. I haven't drank for about 5 years, i had 4 pints and i'm not joking it felt like 6. I'm on Citalopram :ohmy:

mikewales
13-01-12, 08:39
Steve, it was probably not having drunk for so long made you feel more drunk, rather than the meds. If you go a long time without drinking, your body isnt used to it, and it has more effect on you.

Saying that, my doc told me that alcohol wont interact badly with the cit, but can block it from working, so the next couple of days you can feel a bit wonky

theharvestmouse
13-01-12, 16:13
Its down to the individual, I don't drink at all now, even before I started on Cit, I found that drinking any more than a glass of wine or a couple of bottles of beer made my anxiety a lot worse the following day or 2.

Now I barely drink, a glass of wine is about enough and I'm ok with that.

I don;t think I will ever go back to binge drinking, I spent enough of my late teens/early 20's doing that. I'm happy waking up without hangovers now.

fell_on_black_days
14-01-12, 01:01
I've been tempted but as booze is a depressive I don't think I will. last time I tried mixing it with booze and anti-d's many years ago I had an awful headache a few hours later. lesson learnt I guess.