PDA

View Full Version : Depersonalisation/sertraline help!

lecb
08-09-10, 21:09
Hi, i'm new to this so please bear with me!

I'm ellie, 22, and have Lyme Disease (have had for 10 years now). I never had any mental health problems before contracting the disease...

I started at about 12 with obsessional thoughts (killing people, myself, having to touch door knobs etc or i would cause world disasters etc), and depression. I was on citalopram for 3 years which i found helped the depression but didn't do much for the obsessional thoughts/OCD.

I started getting panic attacks too, and being afraid to leave the house, due to fearing having a panic attack - i had to have someone with me all the time and it became very restrictive for me and for them.

I got a new psychiatrist (he's great) who put me on Sertraline. Coming off citalopram was awful, one of the worst weeks of my life, but about 1-2 weeks of taking sertraline i started feeling much better, and never really had any side effects. I started on 100mg, then went to 150mg and then 200mg. I was on 200mg for a long time and was very happy. My GP didn't think i needed to be on them and cut them to 100mg over night. I had a terrible week or so but then settled into the new dose, but i would say i never felt as good as i did on 200mg.

I notice that when i am physically more ill, i tend to go down mentally too, so in my case they are definitely connected.

Earlier this year my Grandad died, and i don't honestly think i have processed it fully, or grieved properly for him. I am also just about to start medical school (after 3 years of not being able to go due to not being well enough).

About 2 weeks ago i went away for a week abroad (a massive deal for me given i have a history of agorophobia, and i didn't have a family member with me - just a friend). I was really nervous about going away so i upped my sertraline to 150mg. My psychiatrist trusts me enough to let me have a 50mg leeway.

I had a great time on holiday but on the last night i suddenly felt a real sense of panic and disorientation when i was suddenly away i was "away from home" and "really abroad". It panicked me and i took 2mg of diazepam (which i always carry for security and rarely take) and this settled me.

Since then i have not felt right. I have been feeling very depressed, so i contacted my psychiatrist who upped my sertraline to 200mg, which i have been taking, but i seem to be feeling worse. I am feeling what i can best describe (from google) as depersonalisation. Here are my symptoms:

being aware of "me"
not feeling like i'm in my body (Even know i know i am)
feeling really scared of being in my body and almost trapped in my body (sounds ridiculous)
like i am not controlling me (Even though i am and i know i am)
feeling like i don't recognise people like my family
feeling panicky
feeling like my memories aren't mine
wondering what the meaning of life is
realising i am human and what is humanity and the world

I need to know.. am i going insane? I know that it is not normal to feel these things. Could it be a side effect of the higher dosage of sertraline, or am i going insane and this is the beginning? The worry of thinking i am going insane and losing a grip on reality is making the problem worse.

Sorry for the great epistle, but i would very much appreciate anyone's help and support.

thank you kindly,
Ellie :)

DavidJ85
09-09-10, 18:17
You're not going insane Ellie trust me.

If there's one thing I've learned lately is anxiety is ridiculously powerful such is the mind.

If you think you're going insane, you're not because how can someone who's thinking about going insane actually then do it? It's illogical.

I'm on a similar path wanting to start on Sertraline as my thoughts and feelings are getting too much to bare. Don't worry you're not alone!

lecb
11-09-10, 11:36
Thank you so much. My psychiatrist said that the upping of the Sertraline could make me feel worse before it makes me feel better. I'm hoping it is that.

this forum has been my saving grace.

God bless this forum.
ellie x