PDA

View Full Version : Introducing me :)

x_Meep_x
01-03-06, 14:57
Erm....well, i dont really know where to start now im here.
My names Nat and im 17.

I had my very first panic attack after having an extremely disturbing nightmare when i was really young. Ever since then i have certain "rituals" i have to do before i sleep to make sure it wont happen again.

After school i went to sixth form and hated it, every Sunday night i'd have an attack as i was trying to get to sleep but they were never that severe. After the first year i left 6th form and started at a new college.
Right now i have a loving b/f, good family relationships and enjoy college yet the panic attacks have returned worse than ever.

For the past year and a half i've been suffering from them on a regular basis, but only a few times a month. For the past couple of months though they've increased and for the past 2 weeks i've had at least two a day, for no reason at all. I began to think i was going crazy as i'd see things that i knew weren't there, shake uncontrollably, have to use the toilet constantly, become dizzy and have trouble focusing on anything, i began to think i wasn't real and this scared me even more.

Going to bed on a night has become the most terrifying thing in my life. I thought panic attacks only lasted a few minutes but i've experienced symptoms of them that last hours, after reading up about them i now understand more.

I went to the doctors yesterday, (which was a big enough struggle for me to sit in the waiting room without panicking) and he gave me some beta-blockers to try control them.

I hope i beat them or at least manage to control them because at the minute they're controlling my life, and ruining it. I hate the feeling of not being in control, not knowing whether things will ever get better or not.

The slightest thing can trigger me, for example if im cold and i shiver that makes me think of shaking so i start to shake and then panic. Sometimes i feel in complete and utter despair because of them, a feeling so strong that it really is difficult to put into words.

Knowing that im not going crazy and that other people experience the same thing eases me a little.

I just hope im on the road to recovery now :)

Nat

Alexandra
01-03-06, 14:58
Hi Nat

Welcome to the forum.

You will get lots of great support & help here. You are not alone

Take Care

Alex

Many People Will Walk
In & Out Of Your Life
But Only True Friends
Will Leave Footprints
In Your Heart

trac67
01-03-06, 15:01
Hi Nat,

Welcome to the forum, you will get a lot of good advice here and make some new friends.

Take care

Trac xx

'Live your life with arms wide open, today is where your book begins, the rest is still unwritten'

Piglet
01-03-06, 19:45
A big welcome to the site :)

Piglet x

"Supposing a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?" said Piglet.
"Supposing it didn't," said Pooh after careful thought.

sueiamnew
01-03-06, 20:10
Hi Nat and welcome to the site.

nomorepanic
01-03-06, 20:24
Hi Nat

A warm welcome aboard and hope we can be of some help to you.

Nicola

clickaway
01-03-06, 20:36
Hi Nat and welcome to the forum.

I find that an uncomfortable temperature, hot or cold can set me off sometimes. Discomfort is just a reminder of negative thoughts.

Panic Attacks don't harm you; don't fight them but instead try to gain positive vibes and lead a healthy lifestyle.

Cheers,

Ray
http://www.anxietyrelease.org.uk/

And when you get the choice to sit it out or dance, I hope you dance.
~Mark Sanders and Tia Sillers

tracyp584
01-03-06, 20:44
Hey Nat,

Welcome to the forum!

tracy x x

Every time you avoid your fears they become stronger,every time you face your fears they become weaker.

Karen
01-03-06, 20:49
Hi Nat

Welcome to the forum.

Karen

Happiness is not a state to arrive at but a manner of travelling.

You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough ~ Christine Cagney, Cagney & Lacey

Meg
01-03-06, 23:58
Welcome Nat

Sounds like your panics are being triggered by your thought patterns and image associations.

Some CBT help may be something to ask for from your doctor. Explanation on our home pages..

Meg
www.anxietymanagementltd.com

Your anxiety is the human representation of the pictures that you paint using your many vivid colours of revolving and reoccurring thoughts.
How big is your gallery ?

x_Meep_x
02-03-06, 15:41
Thanks everyone for making me feel welcome :)

Robertc160882
02-03-06, 16:48
Hi Nat,

Welcome to the forum, I think you have done the right thing by going to see the doc to get some help it is a step in the right direction as is finding this site. Most people who experience panic attacks don’t really feel that it is happening to them and temperature and other such association can trigger them off it is quite common. If it wasn’t real you wouldn’t remember it that is what I tell myself but they are controllable that’s why most of us lead a perfectly normal life.

Just stay strong and most important of all try to look at all possibilities of treatment like cbt, counselling or alternative therapies. The last thing you want is to get depression as a result of this so make sure people know about them so you can get support.

Hope you get through this and good luck with everything.

wendy
02-03-06, 19:50
Hi Nat

Welcome

Wendy x

seh1980
02-03-06, 19:57
Welcome aboard!! :D

"If life were simple, word would have got around"

sal
02-03-06, 23:13
Hi Nat

I can appreciate how hard this is for you but you sound postive that you are not going to let it beat you and that is great. We are all here to support you and will offer you all the help you need.

Love Sal xx

Dont mess up the best things in your life, just because at present you are unsure who you are.

"Life is a distance and to travel that distance you were given the strength and guidance to do so".