PDA

View Full Version : One year anniversary of not smoking!!!!

xBettyBoopx
09-09-10, 05:16
Hi ev1

It's been one year today since I gave up smoking. I won't lie to you, it's been hell!!!!!!!!!

It's actually been the worst year of my life, losing my beloved pet in August of last year, then having to give up smoking for health reasons, I can tell ya all what hell is like. I'm not putting anyone off giving up, because everyone knows that it's very beneficial to quit regardless of circumstances.

I never thought I would ever give up, I had smoked 20 a day for 37 years, so I give myself a pat on the back..........and celebrate with a ciggie...............lmao!!!!:ohmy::D:blush:

Els
xxx

diane07
09-09-10, 07:36
Well done Els,

If its any consolation, my mum had to give up for health reasons too, its almost coming up to four years now and its the best thing she ever did.

My turn next!

Your post gives me hope that i can do it.

Well done you

di xx

ditzygirl
09-09-10, 11:09
Well done Elspeth

that is an amazing achievement - you deserve a pat on the back!!!!!!

and go for it Di

Bluebelle
09-09-10, 15:43
This has been a really hard year for you-it is amazing that you've been able to quit smoking !

Breaking a nicotine addiction is one of the hardest things to do- apparently it is even more addictive than heroin.

When I quit smoking I really missed the whole act of smoking. I wasn't forced to quit due to medical reasons -I was forced to quit because I was adopting my little puppy. She had to go to a non-smoking home and as soon as I saw her I quit.

She was only half a pound of little black fluff and so cute...otherwise I wouldn't have had the strength to quit ! I am awed by your strength to quit.

Well Done Elspeth- you are so much stronger than you realize !

Hazel B
09-09-10, 16:13
Well done! You should be really proud of yourself.
I stopped 4 months ago after 20 years and can honestly say it's the best thing I did for my health. I wish I had done it sooner, there are absolutely no benefits whatsoever.
Keep it up.

xBettyBoopx
10-09-10, 22:58
Thank you Diane, Ditzy, BlueBell and Hazel for your replies and 'congrats':yesyes::yesyes:

You can do it Diane!:yesyes::yesyes:

http://images.paraorkut.com/img/pics/glitters/t/thank_you-8249.gif
Love
Els
xxx

nomorepanic
10-09-10, 22:59
Wow Els - is it a year already.

I am so chuffed for you - fantastic news and well done to you!

xBettyBoopx
10-09-10, 23:03
Thank you Nic, yep times goes sooooooooo fast when you're getting old..............lol!:):)

Maj
10-09-10, 23:04
Elspeth what an achievement! Well done you! Be proud of yourself :hugs:xx

nomorepanic
10-09-10, 23:04
I remember you giving up and didn't realise it was a year already.

Did you use patches etc?

xBettyBoopx
11-09-10, 01:01
Hi Nic

No I didn't use anything, I just got up one day and said "that's it", I was still grieving my cat Lady's death and had about 3 months there when I really didn't know what I was doing anyway!! I should have given up way before that because of health problems but I knew it would be the hardest thing to do!

Els

http://www.sonofthesouth.net/uncle-sam/images/funny-no-smoking-sign.jpg
LMAO!!!!!! Only kidding!!!!!!

nomorepanic
11-09-10, 01:07
Wow will power alone eh? that is fantastic news.

I bet you feel so much better for it and think how much money you have saved too.

Keep at it Els and you should be very proud of yourself.

Did you know that after 1 year you can officially call yourself a non-smoker. I only know this cos a guy at work gave up and he was delighted that his life insurance premiums went down 1 year after he stopped so he was well chuffed.

Not sure if you have any or not but if you do then make sure you tell them lol

xBettyBoopx
11-09-10, 01:20
Thanks Nic. I went on one of those 'What's your true heart age' sites (health anxiety sufferers, please don't do this). It asked me if I was a smoker, so I put "no", it then asked if I had given up in the last year, so I realized then that a year must make a difference.

Thanks for well wishes, it does help.

Els
xxx

nomorepanic
11-09-10, 13:47
Obviously you can call yourself a non smoker the day you quit but for insurance purposes etc then it is a year - just wanted to make that clear as I know ex smokers would say they were a non smoker the day they stopped

ladybird64
11-09-10, 21:52
Loads of congrats for stopping and staying off the cigs Els :yesyes:

I have been off them for a year and a half now and it's very rare that I get a craving..if I do it's over in seconds.

I didn't use replacement methods either, my method was the NMP chatroom! They calmed me down every time I was going through hell in the early days in particular Emmsie (Weeble 40) who used to blow me cyber puffs of smoke (laughter helps a lot!) and Froggy Prince Paul who used to remind me how much better I would feel in the end.

It shows you what we can do when we set our minds to it, eh Els? :hugs:

suzy-sue
12-09-10, 00:05
Well done Elspeth ..I really need to pack up myself.Been saying that for ages now :blush: You did real good especially during a period of grief .You should be proud of yourself .:hugs:luv Sue x