PDA

View Full Version : Tired of liviing under this cloud

JFlower
09-09-10, 11:46
I'm having a 'bad' day :weep:

I should be happy. I've recently married, I have a wonderful daughter, new job but it is all overshadowed by this stupid anxiety disorder.

I know I need to restart my medication but I'm scared - scared of the side effects and scared that if I start I'll never come off them :weep: Therapy doesn't work for me, natural remedies aren't strong enough but I just cannot face taking that first little tablet. They only took a couple of weeks to work the first time but I don't have the 'luxury' of feeling worse for a couple of weeks or a month.

My head never feels clear even on 'good days'.

This has been part of me for over 6 years now, how much longer do I have to struggle with this??

Kell
09-09-10, 13:03
Sorry that you're having a bad day.

I know exactly how you feel as I have a nice life too yet still feel anxious. I have tried to explain to other people that even if I won the lottery I'd still feel anxious! Unfortunately anxiety plays cruel tricks & isn't always logical.

I am the same as you in that I never wanted to rely on medication but when my anxiety strikes that tends to go out the window! Everyone is different so you just have to weigh up the options. Maybe have a chat to your GP. You just have to do what you feel is best for you.

Kel
x

Nigel
09-09-10, 14:26
Hi JFlower,

Sorry you’re having a bad day – hope you’re feeling a bit better now :)

“I should be happy... ”

Several years ago the word ‘should’ was banned on here, but I see it creeping back in again :lac:
It can be so demoralising. People just ‘are’.

“I've recently married, I have a wonderful daughter, new job but it is all overshadowed by this stupid anxiety disorder.”

I see four things here – one negative but three really positive – and I think it would be good to be able to separate them all. Why does the one bad one have to ‘overshadow’ the other three good ones...

Considering each one separately, you could get to feeling good three times more than feeling down :winks:

Take care,
Nigel

JFlower
10-09-10, 11:02
Thank you for your replies :)

I'm going to have a chat with my GP on Wednesday. I've also started looking into other ways to perhaps deal with this (like hypnotherapy maybe?) but may well need to start the meds in the meantime to help stabilise me somewhat.

I see four things here – one negative but three really positive – and I think it would be good to be able to separate them all. Why does the one bad one have to ‘overshadow’ the other three good ones...

Considering each one separately, you could get to feeling good three times more than feeling down

You have no idea how much this made me smile :D

Than you

DavidJ85
10-09-10, 13:34
JFlower I'm in the exact same boat, I have, what I feel, is a great life it's just burdened and being ruined by this irrational fear and anxiety.

I love being out and about and enjoying life but I feel there is that force always stopping me.

I'm going to the doc on Weds also to discuss meds, I've tried CBT and that's a load of pants to be honest so I may consider hypnotherapy too!

JFlower
10-09-10, 13:42
I'm sorry to hear you're going through this too (it sucks!) but I relate a lot to feeling like there is a force stopping you enjoying life.

I'm going to the doc on Weds also to discuss meds, I've tried CBT and that's a load of pants to be honest so I may consider hypnotherapy too!
You know I've tried CBT on three different occasions now and it's not been helpful to me in the slightest. I'm not disputing it is for some people but for me it just hasn't worked and I'm not really wanting to attempt it yet again (so wont!).

I've emailed a local clinic about hypnotherapy just to get some information but may well still need the meds in the meantime.

DavidJ85
10-09-10, 14:00
We shall fight this together then it seems J as I'm in the exact same boat! If anything all my CBT does is make me awful as it brings it all to the surface!

Nigel
10-09-10, 16:34
Hi JFlower,

“You have no idea how much this made me smile”

Hope that was in a good way :winks:

“I've also started looking into other ways to perhaps deal with this (like hypnotherapy maybe?)”

It’s something that some people do find helps. The thing with a lot of anxiety is that while a person knows that ‘logically’ there’s nothing to be scared of, they find it virtually impossible to change. It’s because almost every thing we do is controlled by our ‘subconscious mind’ not the logical conscious part that we’re aware of.

Imagine standing in front of your cooker and placing your hand onto one of the rings. It’s easy, isn’t it? Now turn it on and watch as the ring starts glowing red hot... now place your hand on it. It’s no harder to do it, but this time I bet you’ll find it impossible. It’s because your subconscious has learnt that it’s not in your best interest to do so and it’ll do all it can to keep you from harm.

Sometimes it gets it wrong and learns a behaviour that isn’t helpful, but it doesn’t know that and continues to believe it’s acting in your best interest.

CBT helps because it teaches a person to catch those thoughts and make a real determined effort to respond in a different way. Over time this teaches the subconscious a new way of reacting to that situation until it becomes a new habit. Hypnosis is a different approach because it communicates directly with the subconscious mind, giving it new and more helpful suggestions to consider. Different approaches seem to work best for different people.

One thing with hypnosis is that it uses the power of ‘expectation’. If a person goes into it believing it to be a load of twaddle, it probably won’t be effective, but if they believe it will help, it probably will. So with that in mind, I think it might help to learn a bit about it first before going into it. One site I found useful is Hypnosis Downloads (http://www.hypnosisdownloads.com/?1388). They do self hypnosis downloads for just about anything, but the reason I mentioned it is that there’s a link at the top for a free email course that does a really good job of explaining what hypnosis is and how it works, complete with some free audio demos that lets you experience what the lessons are about.

Take care,
Nigel

DavidJ85
10-09-10, 16:57
Nigel all of that sounds brilliant but I find my mind isn't doing that all the time. If that makes sense? As in sometimes it will do it and other times it won't dependent on how anxious I am. Sound right?

Nigel
11-09-10, 14:12
Hi David,

“All of that sounds brilliant but I find my mind isn't doing that all the time. If that makes sense? As in sometimes it will do it and other times it won't dependent on how anxious I am.”

Or perhaps it’s the other ways and what the mind is doing determines how anxious you feel... :unsure:

What exactly did you mean when you said – “...but I find my mind isn't doing that all the time”

Take care,
Nigel