PDA

View Full Version : high cholesterol

melvin
09-09-10, 21:06
hi guys can anyone tell me if their cholesterol is 6.7 i know this is high and im trying to get it down along with high blood pressure

Vanilla Sky
09-09-10, 21:12
Mine was 7.6 and the only reason my gp put me on statins was because there is a history of high cholesterol in our family . Your own gp will keep an if you have high blood pressure as well , don't worry
Paige x

MoonlightFire
09-09-10, 22:47
Mine is 5.9. I don't have a family history but I do like cheese and chips...a lot ;) My Doc just told me to cut down on the cheese, nuts and red meat.

Mx

stressbunny
09-09-10, 22:56
mine was 6.9, and i went on a healthy eating plan for a month, exercised and stopped drinking when I heard. It went down to 5. something. I didnt have statins so guessed it was not that bad. And about two thirds of us have high colesterol (over 5). Exericise makes a real differe:yesyes:nce

paula lynne
09-09-10, 23:32
Hi Im an ex-nurse with high cholesterol and high bp. Ideally cholesterol should be under 5mmols, and statins are very good at keeping it down. With high bp, the risk of heart attack and stroke is increased, so statins will be used and work very quickly. You should have cholesterol checks every 6 monthes. Keep well.x best wishes. This is my first post!!

melvin
10-09-10, 07:14
thanxs for your replies guys and yes i was told a couple of wksago i have high blood pressure as well they put me on 5mg tabs for that i have to wait to see if it comes down now im just worried about my colbeing at 6.7 they have given me time to get it down before i have to take tabs i allso smoke i cant pack up iv tried lots of times its like i cant see the dangerwich is strange as i have health anxiety im 50 next yr doc says i wont be here in 10 yrs if i don't sort it which is all i need to hear

Zee
10-09-10, 08:46
Hi melvin, not very tactful of the GP to say that to you.. think he needs a bedside manner check:mad:.
My cholesterol was 6.5 a few months ago.. Did your GP tell you what both your Good cholesterol and Bad Cholesterol reading was ? .. Anyway, he identified with me after a chat that my passion for cheese in particular had to be curbed :).. He also said to cut down on red meat, alcohol, and fried foods ( I dont have any of the aforementioned), which pleased him...so I found in local supermarket a substitute cheese which is cholesterol free and got used to its taste.. Not bad really..

JennyW
10-09-10, 09:10
Sometimes though I believe herediatary plays a huge part.

I'm 43, believe I'm fit and well, I exercise regularly, low BMI, vegetarian, drink in moderation, good diet, bit of chocolate or a biscuit here and there, however I struggle to keep mine at 5 - it's a nightmare - god knows what it would be like if I didn't eat well or exercise :ohmy: - and I only cheese about once every 3 months!

Now my SIL is younger than me (36), quite a large lady, smokes and drinks, NEVER exercises and has a TERRIBLE diet, but still, her level is about 4.2 - now how the hell does that work?????

My mum looks after herself, good diet etc, but couldn't get her level down so the Dr put her on statins. I have a feeling I could be heading in the same path as her, thankfully she has never had a problem with her BP

blueangel
10-09-10, 09:52
My partner found he had borderline high cholesterol (6.4) at the beginning of this year. He was advised to change his diet, so he cut down on cheese and fatty meat, and started using Benecol margarine. The follow-up test 4 months later gave him a score of 4.6 and his GP said that was fine and to just carry on what he was doing.

However, some people have a genetic predisposition to high cholesterol, and unfortunately for them, changing diet etc. doesn't seem to help.

paula lynne
10-09-10, 10:50
HI again, I forgot to mention yesterday that ALCOHOL turns to CHOLESTEROL in your bloodstream overnight!!! cutting down on booze and fags is a good idea, and exercise helps blood pressure melvin x

alicegreen
10-09-10, 11:10
Melvin, have you tried hypnotherapy to give up smoking?

I know lots of people that have gone from 20-40 a day to non smokers with just one session of it!

wendy28
10-09-10, 11:20
hi please dont worry im 32 mine was 6.8 have family history of high blood pressure,heart disease (heart attacks) high cholesterol...they gave me 3 months to get it down only came down to 6.3 so they put me on statins..its now 3.9..it can be sorted take care x

melvin
10-09-10, 18:18
hi guys id like to thank every one who took time out to respond to me its put my mind at rest i aim to eat a bit more healthy i don't eat a lot of crap but i have been going to starbucks a lot and Costa coffee i love caramel coffee but i just found out they use full fat milk i have about 2 -3 a day every time i go to docs i come away with bad news blood pressure not right or cholesterol has gone up all this gets me down im fine otherwise i feel i go in to some kind of depression