PDA

View Full Version : Hiya - here's my story

MoonlightFire
10-09-10, 13:20
Hi guys,

I've just realised that I never introduced myself!

I'm Becca. I'm 29 and I've had health anxiety since I was about 13 although I can remember worrying about my health before then. When I was a teenager I worried about brain tumours, stomach cancer, bowel cancer, skin cancer, lung cancer, CJD, cervical cancer, ovarian cancer, bladder cancer...I could go on! When I first became sexually active my focus shifted to pregnancy and HIV.

At 21 I was put on anti anxiety medication - sertraline. I've been on it now for 8 years although I have tried to come off it a couple of times...very unsuccessfully. I also suffer from depression now and again but my main problems have been anxiety, low self esteem and self injury. I have tried CBT a couple of times which was helpful for the anxiety and depression. The best therapy I have had was definitely CAT (Cognitive Analytical Therapy) but that was a few years ago now and I think I may need to go back to therapy at some stage soon.

My brother has clinical depression and anxiety and my Mum suffers from anxiety which seems to be pretty general although she does go through phases of worrying about her health excessively.

My parents are very aware of my health anxiety as they were the ones I confided in as a teenager. My Mum had to deal with my phases of constant reasurrance seeking and lots of tears! Now I'm seeking reasurrance from my friends and boyfriend aswell as my parents!

I have problems with constant checking behaviours - usually involving my body. I have lots of funny stories about getting people to check for me...not so funny for them I'm sure hehe.

Well, that's about the gist of it.

Moonlight X

nomorepanic
10-09-10, 13:21
Hi MoonlightFire

A huge warm welcome to nmp.

You'll get loads of advice and support here and make some lovely friends along the way.

Best wishes

Hazel B
10-09-10, 13:23
Welcome, you are not alone. There are lots of links on the left hand side of the screen that I have found helpful.

Fly away Katie
10-09-10, 18:40
Welcome Moonlight! Im right there with you about getting my boyfriend, friends and parents to check things! x x xx x

Vanilla Sky
10-09-10, 23:53
Lol , Hellooo Moonlight :D

:welcome:

Paige x