PDA

View Full Version : Stu: Hello everyone

Stu N
10-09-10, 14:26
Good afternoon, all.

Even though I'm an internet user of 30 years standing (at least) I'm still anxious about posting to a forum for the first time -- so, here goes...

I'm in my late fifties, but like to think of myself as cool and indeed groovy and generally more upto date than my younger colleagues. 'Nuff of that.

About six years ago I was made redundant (unexpectedly -- "They can't possibly do without me!" -- he thought, erroneously) , Since then, I never really recovered and -- having tipped over 50 -- I thought "this is it, scrapheapsville". My job with one of the Big Four accountancies was outsourced and I had to train up four chaps from the sub-continent to replace me. Not good. that's another story.

Long story short -- I blew a fuse, ended up in the Priory (other services are available) doing CBT amongst other therapies. Not to much avail, I hasten to add -- I 'fought it', as one does.

Couldn't speak; avoided 'phone calls; hid away; suffered from the 'shoogles' (spasms, shaking, etc.). Started my own self-employed business, which didn't really bring in much money.

After several years, I was offered another job. Seemed peachy, I'd more or less recovered enough to attend the interview and was subsequently hired on the basis of my 'logical skills'. After nearly three years, this job is not as satisfying as I'd expected and I wasn't 'delivering' as I had been used to in the previous 30 years of working in IT. Added to this was the element of peer pressure from people about 20 years my junior.

Again, I've blown a fuse, for slightly different reasons. Again, it's a self-esteem issue with sprinkings of lack of confidence and the inabilty to communicate.

So -- spasms, inabilty to comminicate with 'authority' (fear) -- add to that the more physical results: IBS; high BP; insomnia; &c.; &c. you know the score, I'm sure. Worst of all it the attacks of 'inability' that I suffer from -- tying a shoelace; making a cuppa; talking to 'er indoors. All of these can leave me frustrated, wound-up, stomping about and generally beating myself up (metaphorically).

I'm on Beta-Blockers; prescribed Citalopram (took it, scared the sheggis out of me; not touched it since). Hopefully soon to be undertaking CBT &c. NHS -- not private, this time.

Looking to (needing a) a career change. But what? Help!!

Anyway, thanks for listening.
Stu

nomorepanic
10-09-10, 14:28
Hi Stu N

A huge warm welcome to nmp.

You'll get loads of advice and support here and make some lovely friends along the way.

Best wishes

paula lynne
10-09-10, 14:35
Welcome stu I joined yesterday. Lots of people on here with lots of different problems, youll never have to suffer alone ever again...Im finding it comforting just knowing Im not alone or going mad with panic and agoraphobia. I lost my job as a neurosurgical nurse because of my problems, I understand the loss of role and empty useless feelings. You are clearly an intelligent man, Im sure someone somewhere will be pleased to work with you...open new doors to new possibilities!! Im now a florist from home..worked wonders just having a change of career...hope you get new adventures soon...and feel better x:welcome:

Stu N
10-09-10, 14:57
Florist! Brilliant! How cool is that!

Also, a very concise appraisal of my feelings -- loss of rôle. Sums it up well.

I've been looking at (he skims) Car Valeting; Window Cleaning; Cartoonery; Writing reviews; etc. But, since losing my self-confidence, I'm unsure and unable to start that journey.

Thanks,
Stu

Veronica H
10-09-10, 15:18
:welcome:to NMP Stu. Glad that you have found us.

Veronicax

musicaldave
10-09-10, 16:55
Hi Stu, I just joined today. I was made redundant when I was 56 and had a personal crisis about 6 months after that. Not from the redundancy, I think, but more from issues when I was working. At the moment, I can't work with other people and I know how difficult it can be to find alternatives. What I did was to look for any skills that I had that I could use to make some money and an environment that I felt would be OK. For me this meant a situation that I was in control of and I could walk away from at any time. It is possible, believe me. Some days I can do it, others......you know how it is.I think it's important not to give up and I'm sure you have many skills that are much needed and would be appreciated by others. There are ways, keep looking.

Fly away Katie
10-09-10, 17:49
Hellooo, and :welcome: to NMPx x x

Vanilla Sky
10-09-10, 23:55
Hi and welcome to NMP :welcome:
Paige x