PDA

View Full Version : Just had bloods done what can be found?

Eggy
11-09-10, 00:08
Today i had some blood tests done and i know on the form it said:-

-Thyroid Function
-Liver Function
-Glucose
-FBC
-ESR

Plus a couple of other things.

Can things like heart problems or heart disease be detected in blood tests? Also obviously it would pick up Septicaemia.

I'm just wondering whether it can pick up almost anything to do with the heart and inflammation and infections?

nomorepanic
11-09-10, 00:58
I think the CRP needs to be tested for inflammations.

Blood tests can tell you if you have had a heart attack but I am not sure they show heart disease as such. I don't think they will and an ECG would be better for that.

BubbleBonce
11-09-10, 01:30
I'm sure that all you need to rule out will be picked up by those tests. The ESR is a marker for inflammation. :)

nomorepanic
11-09-10, 13:43
I base my comments on the fact that I had blood tests only 2 days before my heart attack so I am sure it would have shown something if that was the case.

CrazyCatLady
11-09-10, 14:40
ESR is a marker for inflammation, but it's not as sensitive as CRP (i.e. if they are monitoring an infection that is subsiding, the CRP will go down before the ESR)

ElizabethJane
11-09-10, 15:00
Hi I am to have another set of bloods taken so soon after my lithium ones. I understand what FBC and ESR now stand for but I am also to have CRP? This is to see if there is any evidence of crohns and caeliac disease? I have chronic IBS symptoms so I guess the next step is a colonoscopy. I have has this before. My Grandmother died of bowel cancer. I also have a fissure and probably piles (blood in stools) for months so needs investigating.