PDA

View Full Version : Hello

plymptonphil
11-09-10, 06:35
Hi, my name is phil and I suppose my problem is general social anxiety.......this shows itself in my avoidance of situations where I have to mix with people, especially people who I do not know. The anxiety is much reduced when I am out of doors so that I find the walking group I belong to so helpful. Whilst walking, I can mix and make friends and talk in a non-threatening situation.

On the other hand, last year I had a panic attack which caused me to run away from my own daughter's wedding because I could not face the thought of mixing with so many people who were strangers to me. My anxieties have made it impossible for me to hold down a job which creates additional problems.

But I have a love of the outdoors and am a skilled amateur botanist so this takes a lot of my time and keeps me busy.

Sleeping is a problem for me, which leaves me feeling tired and makes it much harder to face up to my anxieties.

In the past I have been through the mill and have spent time in hospital for anxiety and depression, so my present state is a big improvement on what has happened to me in the past.

My wife puts up with my behaviour without complaint but I don't think she has much understanding of how I feel.

Hope to get to know some of you who may be reading this. :)

nomorepanic
11-09-10, 06:41
Hi plymptonphil

A huge warm welcome to nmp.

You'll get loads of advice and support here and make some lovely friends along the way.

Best wishes

paula lynne
11-09-10, 07:17
:welcome:hi phil, you will find lots of help here and Im sure lots of sympathetic and helpful people. My husband puts up with me (agoraphobia, panic and general anxiety) but I often feel that on this site, people really understand what you go through. Im new myself, just getting a feel, but so many interesting and helpful threads, Im sure youll find of interest. I hope you continue to enjoy the outdoors, a great boost for the feel good endorphins! all the best.:)

Vanilla Sky
11-09-10, 11:37
Hi and welcome to NMP :welcome:
Paige x

Hazel B
11-09-10, 11:51
Welcome, you will find plenty of support here without judgment.

plymptonphil
11-09-10, 18:56
Thanks, everyone, for the kind welcome. :)

olderfella
11-09-10, 19:14
Hi & welcome:)

agnes
11-09-10, 21:06
Welcome, Phil...people are so supportive here, you'll be so glad you joined NMP

Fly away Katie
11-09-10, 22:48
Hello, and a very warm :welcome: to NMP x x x