PDA

View Full Version : Hypnotherapy

JFlower
11-09-10, 17:57
Has anyone tried this or does anyone have any further information about this?

I'm looking into it. CBT (tried on three different occasions) hasn't helped as well as counselling. I've had reiki and it was great for a day or so following but I just need to find something which will start to make a difference (no idea what that could be though).

ElizabethJane
11-09-10, 18:30
I have had hypnotherapy for my depression and sleep problems. This performed by a GP and some of the treatment has been on the NHS. This is unusual as you will probably have to pay. I would suggest asking your GP first or going to the British Society for Medical and Dental Hypnotherapy. They will have a list of therapists in your area. Hypnosis is not a quick fix and will require you to practice self hypnosis at home. It also requires you to be 'suggestive' to the therapists voice and be able to go into a 'trance state'. This is usually likened to a state between being asleep and being awake. Some therapists will not treat people who are suffering from depression. Hypnosis is usually used in conjunction with other therapies in my experience such as psychotherapy. I hope that you find the answers that you are looking for. Wanted to add that clinical hypnosis is nothing like stage hypnosis. In clinical hypnosis you the patient are in complete control all of the time. You will not be forced/or made to anything against your own free will.

JFlower
11-09-10, 21:02
Thank you for your response :)

I'm just looking for any other way to help try and beat this thing. I really don't feel CBT or the routes offered by my GP have helped (one made it worse) and, although I am tempted to take the offer of counselling once more, I want to look into different ways to approach this.

I know what started this anxiety disorder I just cannot change the way I think of it or how my mind is now wired.

nyvelocet
20-09-10, 02:17
I've just finished a course of hypnotherapy/hypnoanalysis as I've had ME for a little while. Regardless of the reasons why, I can now say I'm cured and I feel better than I ever have done in over a year. I know my condition is different from yours JFlower, but hypno has been amazing for me.

Good luck with yours

Eva May
12-10-10, 23:04
So this actually works? Can any Irish posters recommend a hypnotherapist that works?

vixybaby
13-10-10, 21:17
I had hypnotherapy for anxiety just over a year ago.
I think that and my own hard work really helped and made me much more relaxed.
I think it helped me look deeper at my problem and gave me little techniques to ease my worry.
I would recommend it. I don't beleive in that kind of stuff normally but I kept an open mind and I think that helped :)

Go for it :D