PDA

View Full Version : breast ultrasound - how accurate? please help!!

constantworrier418
11-09-10, 23:19
Back in February I was referred for a breast ultrasound by a locum dr who examined my breasts and thought she felt a lump. After the sheer hell of waiting for the appointment I attended the breast care centre at my local hospital with a consultant who performed an ultrasound and a physical examination. To my relief nothing was detected but 6 months down the line I've started to question the accuracy of the ultrasound - I mean the locum dr must have felt something??? and the ultrasound instrument was only placed on the top side of my breast - would it see through to the other side of the breast or should the ultraside instrument have been placed both on the top of my breast and on the underside as well? I'm starting to get freaked out that they may have missed what the initial locum dr felt??? anyone got any experience????

paula lynne
11-09-10, 23:29
very accurate, be reassured, Im sure something would have shown up. Breast lumps come and go depending on the time of the month too. If you feel a lump yourself, ask the gp to have another look. Im sure its fine and wish you well. xx:hugs:

Rachel W
11-09-10, 23:32
I had the same thing happen over 10 years ago and I am fine. I have quite fibrous breasts and so it was probably that. They told me that an ultrasound is really good as it sees through everything, whereas a mammogram cannot in younger breast tissue. I am sure that you are fine.