PDA

View Full Version : What happens when there's nothing left?

Horse
12-09-10, 10:21
I write this in two frames of mind. One as an optimist and the other as a pessimist!

It has been two years now since my stomach issues began. Admittedly, my anxiety has always lingered around my abdominal district for the past 40 years but none so much as the past 24 months!

Many of us on here are probably more familiar with the layout of our local A and E reception than we are of our own house! My own attendance record since Setember 2008 is currently 7 visits (that's to A and E, not my house). As usual, I leave after a few hours prodding, blood tests, urine test, perhaps the odd xray and a dose of painkillers, anti-spasmodics and acid regulators. My medical procedures to date include 2 Endoscopies (although 4 over my lifetime) 3 Ultrasound, removal of my Gallbladder, 1 CT Scan and as a finale, 1 Colonoscopy, all in order to determine my discomfort.

(Incidently, I discovered the Colonoscopy preparation to be a great way of conserving electricity. After taking the bumper pack of fun laxative or the Space Shuttle Engine Cleaner as it should be called, I discovered the 'constant high powered glow' from my rear end sufficient to illuminate the bathroom during the twilight hours, therefore rendering the light switch pointless).

So, to date all tests and invasive procedures have proved negative (biopsies from Colonoscopy pending). A good thing I know, but why do I suffer the constant pain and discomfort just below my right ribs and made worse after bowel movements? My medication is Omeprazole and good old Buscopan but I find it hard to accept that if it is IBS my discomfort is all day, everyday! Agreed, my symptoms are typical of IBS.....bloating, gas, nausea, etc., although bowel movements are normal. But, this has now affected my whole life as I cannot work or sleep or do anything owing to this problem.

Surely, is it possible to suffer to this degree with IBS and or anxiety? Doctors cannot do anything for me if all tests are nilch! Medication proves pretty much not to work. I do not overly worry myself day in day out and previous to this I was pretty much healthy for a 56 year old fart. OK, I've had my share of upsets and problems and I sometimes wonder if now living alone after being so much in love with a woman who I adored ran off and left me, has taken it's toll on my emotions!!

So, the tests say there is nothing wrong with me, but I'm in constant pain and discomfort! My question is, what happens when there is nothing left?
Which brings me back to the laxative!!!!!!

May God bless you all!

CrazyCatLady
12-09-10, 11:09
I'm sorry you've been having such a rough time Horse, sometimes it can really feel as if you're banging your head against a brick wall! It's so frustrating when clear tests give you no piece of mind.

Do you find any relaxation therepies to be of any benefit?

joannap
12-09-10, 11:15
anxiety can cause very severe physical symptoms with pain so bad you cannot believe there is nothing organically wrong. the trouble is - the more wound up you get and the more you question the pain - the worse it gets! i really do think that after all the battery of tests you have had and the fact that you are still here lol after years and years of this - that it is time to put this issue to bed and accept/work around the discomfort - you may even find that when you have truly accepted it - it starts to improve x

Horse
12-09-10, 11:19
Thank you for your comment.
To be honest with you Crazy, I've done Anxiety Management classes, CBT (both private and NHS), Hypnosis proved to be the most effective if anything. Admittedly 40 years of Anxiety is not going to disappear overnight so I believe it will take probably a couple of years of constant relaxation techniques in order to maybe get some relief! That is of course providing my stomach discomfort is related to Anxiety.

Horse
12-09-10, 11:24
Joanapp, yes you could be right!
It's so very hard to go about your daily business though when you think you may throw up any minute and you feel so uncomfortable! I think that the trouble with most of us is that we are too over sensitive and caring. I sometimes believe that I should stick two fingers up at the world, but I'm just not that kind of guy I'm afraid.

CrazyCatLady
12-09-10, 11:40
I def agree that recovery can take a long time.

They have done a lot of tests, so there is nothing seriously (medically) wrong with your body. Sorry if i am covering old ground, but have you looked at your diet to ease symptoms? Food intolerance? Likewise with exercise. Have you tried and holistic meds? Acupuncture?

Joanapp may be right though, in that if we accept our symptoms are from anxiety, that's when they will start to improve.

Horse
12-09-10, 12:25
I've had Coeliac Disease for about 20 years now, so know the strict diet rules and this has been taken into consideration of course. There is no way that any contamination has got into my system.

Hazel B
12-09-10, 14:33
My friend had IBS for 2 years, had all the similar tests, thought the worst etc. They accepted what the doctor was telling them after all the angst and changed lifestyle:

Stopped burning the candle at both ends, going to bed and getting up at the same time every day
Stopped partying hard and smoking
Cut down on booze
Switched to caffeine free drinks
Started to have probiotic drinks every breakfast
Put their bed on bricks at the top end, this helps digestion apparently and any acid reflux in the night
Ate less fatty food and more fish and vegetables, stopped eating heavy meals after 7pm at night
Walked for a few miles each day (on the way to work)
This worked for them, they have to stick with it but I've known them 9 years and they hardly have IBS pain/bloating now. You have had so many tests I'm sure that nothing has been missed, best wishes.
BTW I'm not lecturing, just hoping to help.

countrygirl
12-09-10, 14:37
I cannot add anything to what has already been posted but just to let you know that reading your description of the colo prep and lighting up the bathroom had me in fits of laughter as I remember it so well and your description is so apt. AFter taking the stuff I realised why someone with a nasty sense of humour named it fleet cos only the extremely fleet of foot can make it the two foot from the chair to the toilet seat!

jothenurse
12-09-10, 15:23
I agree, that was really funny. I have had a colonoscopy so know what it's like.

Horse
12-09-10, 15:50
Hazel. Thanks for the info. Unfortunately I already live a fairly subdued life as it is. I dont even burn the candle at one end let alone at both ends. I stopped smoking over 2 years ago and I gave up red wine after i found it too acidic. I only drink decaf and my fat intake is virtually zero. I weigh in at a hefty 10 stone and most of my food is fresh. I only drink Cranberry juice and water as for cold drinks.

Do you know Hazel, I believe I've just discovered a cause to my discomfort.......I'm dying of bloody boredom!!

To all those fellow Colonoscopics out there.........I pity the poor B*****d who had to test the laxative. I can only believe it was thought up by the Inland Revenue!
Whenever I open a new loo roll now, my arse legs it down the garden! I am now only half the man I used to be and being as the best part of me went down the loo last week, I am now left with the half I didn't really want in the first place!

Hazel B
12-09-10, 15:55
Now you are making me laugh out loud! I don't know what else I can say to help you but you are not alone.

alicegreen
12-09-10, 17:40
LOL Horse, you have a great sense of humour!