PDA

View Full Version : hello everyone

Humly
02-03-06, 10:36
I have been reading messages on this site for a while now and have finally plucked up courage to register. I have suffered from anxiety for quite a few years now and in particular worry about my health. I cried my eyes out when I read the introduction on health anxiety as it is totally me. Nobody knows exactly how badly I can be affected by my worries as I am really embarassed and feel ashamed about the way I am. Not even my husband, family or friends know how bad I am. I can go for ages without worrying excessively about anything (11 months was the last spell) but them something happens - usually I notice a new symptom and whoosh - I totally over-react and blow things out of proportion. I usually go rushing down to the doctors - if its a health worry - or start obsessing about the perceived problem. The thing is, I know exactly what I am doing. I recognise the patterns but just can't seem to stop myself going overboard. I have been on anti-depressants in the past but I know that I have to sort this out myself. I do not want medication and therapy is not too readily available on the nhs and too expensive privately. I know what I need to do but need some help to do it. I think I just need reassurance but don't want to be bothering my husband about it all the time - although he is very understanding, its not fair on him to keep moaning all the time.

I have definitely been worse since I had my children, who are now 8 and 6. Its probably due to leaving work and being on my own quite a lot but I am not complaining about that as I know that I am extremely lucky to have been able to give up work in the first place.

Anyway, I feel a whole lot better having found this site knowing that I am not the only one and I am sure that I will get some good advice and reassurance here. I have already ordered a book "stop worrying about your health" which was mentioned here.

Well thanks for listening. I will start posting my worries on the health section shortly.

LT xx

Ma Larkin
02-03-06, 10:50
Welcome to NMP LT! You've certainly come to the right place for some good advice. I can relate to you knowing the patterns, most of us can, we just find it difficult to control them. Have you thought about any herbal medication? There is a section on here that gives good advice. I must admit, I myself am not on anti-deps, its like if I take them, then I've admitted that there is a problem & I don't want to have a problem. I feel almost a failure in a sense, but most people see meds as a stepping stone to their recovery, which must be a good thing. GP's prescribe them for a reason, & if it makes us feel better, then go for it I say. I think we all know that only we can help ourselves. Have you thought about CBT or counselling? I was terrified at the thought of sitting with a stranger pouring all my problems out, but it really helped me. CBT would help you re-address your thoughts & look at things more positively.

Nice talking to you.

Les

Alexandra
02-03-06, 10:59
Hi LT

Welcome to the forum.

Glad to hear you have now joined. You are not alone & please do'nt be nervous, we are all here to help & support each other.

Take Good Care

Alex

Many People Will Walk
In & Out Of Your Life
But Only True Friends
Will Leave Footprints
In Your Heart

trac67
02-03-06, 11:01
Hi LT,

Welcome to the forum, you will get a lot of good advice here and make some new friends.

Take care

Trac xx

'Live your life with arms wide open, today is where your book begins, the rest is still unwritten'

Humly
02-03-06, 11:10
Thanks Les. I think I probably do need counselling but I am scared to do it. Also the waiting lists on the nhs are huge and its so expensive to go private. I want to try the self help thing first. I know what I have to do its just how to do it. I have read a few books on the subject and hopefully when this new book comes it will help me with my health anxiety which is my greater problem.

I am too embarassed to admit to my doctor how pathetic I am. I just end up cyring all over the place when I talk about it. When its happened in the past all they do is give you meds and the nhs have not got the resources for anything else. I'd rather try and sort this out myself.

Anyway, I feel better already.

LT

Alexandra
02-03-06, 11:14
Hi LT,

Please do'nt feel embarressed hun the doc will help you & your are definantly not pathetic.,
The doc will put you in touch with a counsellor that is right for you.
You are stronger than you think.

Take Care:)

Alex

Many People Will Walk
In & Out Of Your Life
But Only True Friends
Will Leave Footprints
In Your Heart

Ma Larkin
02-03-06, 11:43
My biggest problem is health anxiety too. I've only suffered for 12 months & its scared the life out of me. I still have my really bad moments, but am coping a lot better than at first, phoning an ambulance and running to A&E for the first few months. The only reason I'm coping better is because i've had so many blood tests & ECG's that I could keep an A&E department in full time work!! I know that there is nothing seriously wrong with me, but the symptoms of a panic attack still make me feel like i'm dying of a heart attack.

This site has been a godsend to know that i'm not alone in all this.

Les

jackie
02-03-06, 14:04
I COULD ALMOST BE LISTENING TO MYSELF. YOU ARE NOT ALONE AND I TOO HAVE GOT WORSE SINCE MY KIDS WERE BORN. I JUST DONT EVER WANT TO LEAVE THEM BUT FEAR IT SO MUCH IT INTERFERS WITH LIFE ITSLEF.

YOU R RIGHT ABOUT FEELING GUILTY FOR LOADING IT ALL ON TO YOUR PARTNER. THAT IS WHY WE ARE ALL HERE, TO TAKE THAT BURDEN OFF YOUR HUBBY

PM ME AT ANY TIME BUT JUST NO YOU ARE NOT ALONE.

HAVE YOU EVER HAD CBT
JACKIE

Humly
02-03-06, 15:09
I have never had cbt but think that probably its the way forward. I have not seriously considered it in the past. I seem to have one major health crisis, get over it then be ok for a while until the next one comes along. Feel like such a fool sometimes though, when I look at all of the good things in my life. I dont get panic attacks as such but just worry myself into a state sometimes. Our local Mind place does courses on anxiety management and I am going to put my name down for this. Its a start at least.

Robertc160882
02-03-06, 16:56
Hi LT,

Welcome to the forum you have done great to pluck up the courage to finally register on the site and you should find it useful. Although my problem isn’t similar to your own I can empathise with you as It can be tough when people don’t understand. Some people don’t understand my condition anxiety, panic attacks and depression but then again maybe that is a good thing. In terms of therapy you may be able to find a cheap therapist and a good one from http://www.bacp.co.uk/seeking_therapist/index.html just enter your city. Once you have searched it will bring up a list of counsellors what the treat and there costs and they will be good as they would have been accredited. The only way they can get there name on this site is through accreditation. I worked for a occupational health company and we used this site a lot to find counsellors in locations we didn’t have clinics. If you need any help with anything just let me know if there is any questions or anything.

Good luck and Well Done.

Karen
02-03-06, 19:19
Hi LT

Welcome to the forum.

You might find the following information helpful:

First Steps (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/default.asp?t=cms&c=firststeps)

Symptoms (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/default.asp?t=cms&c=symptoms)

Health Anxiety (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/default.asp?t=cms&c=healthanxiety)

You will find a lot of help and support here.

Karen

Happiness is not a state to arrive at but a manner of travelling.

You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough ~ Christine Cagney, Cagney & Lacey

jenn
02-03-06, 19:24
Hi
I am just the same i get up in the morning and think to myself well pick yourself up abd keep going, i cover a lot of my problems up so when I do panick its such a surprise to everyone cause they all think im the life and sole of everything but is all bluff. So dont think you are on your own your not and we will help.

jen

wendy
02-03-06, 19:37
Hi LT

I am new to the site and am sure you will find a lot of support here!

Wendy x

seh1980
02-03-06, 20:00
Welcome aboard!! :D

"If life were simple, word would have got around"

Meg
02-03-06, 21:52
Welcome to the site..

**usually I notice a new symptom and whoosh - I totally over-react and blow things out of proportion**

Good for you for recognising that this is fed by the over zealous blowing out of proportion by your thought processes...

If you can learn to deal with those you're well on the way to progress

Meg
www.anxietymanagementltd.com

Your anxiety is the human representation of the pictures that you paint using your many vivid colours of revolving and reoccurring thoughts.
How big is your gallery ?

Trev
02-03-06, 22:58
LT, welcome. You've come to the right place!! :D

Cheers,
Trev

sal
02-03-06, 23:04
Hi LT

Great you have joined the forum. You will get lots of great advice and continual support.

Love Sal xx

Dont mess up the best things in your life, just because at present you are unsure who you are.

"Life is a distance and to travel that distance you were given the strength and guidance to do so".