PDA

View Full Version : Emetophobia and General Anaesthetic...

HelenLouise
13-09-10, 16:17
Argh! I've had this lymph gland on the side of my neck all of my life and recently became worried about it (no idea why.) Long story short - the doctors don't think its anything to worry about but the surgeon has offered to remove it for my own piece of mind.
I'm now waiting for this appointment to come through but am more nervous about the general anaesthetic causing nausea and vomiting then i am about the actual procedure!
I know they can give anti emetic drugs but I worry that they won't work or they will forget to give them me!
Terrified of feeling sick/vomiting after this operation :(! xxx

Vixxy
13-09-10, 18:53
Why do you want it removed?

uk23
13-09-10, 19:10
I have a boob job (to remove them - male) about 6 years a go. I found out it was actually the massive amounts of morphine they had me on that made it worse. I demanded they took the morphine pump out and then forced myself to go for a smoke, after being in there a day and a half i demanded to go home, they said that if i felt ok then sure.

If you can and want to ask for something other than morphine.

Angelai
01-10-10, 20:18
Just wanted to add after uk23's advice -

I had an operation 3 weeks ago, under GA. I made it VERY clear to everyone that i have severe emetophobia - the anaesthetist reassured me right before that he would make sure I had plenty of anti-emetic medicine. Also, there was no way they wanted to give me morphine so they used some alternative (buscopan - used for ibs pain - and paracetomol/codeine).

There is always a risk of nausea/vomitting with morphine. Make it clear how scared you are and you will be given something else instead.

fairyclairy
02-10-10, 11:12
My friend had a general anaesthetic last week when having a knee op... she doesnt have emetophobia but still doesnt like being sick - she said to the doctors she would rather be awake than have this and risk being sick, the doctors said she had to be put to sleep and it was highly unlikely to be sick with a general anaesthetic for a knee op because it was more likely to be sick if they were doing something on her stomach..... she had the anaesthetic and was absolutly fine! So im sure u will be too with your neck cos they wont be touching your stomach, but like the others said - make sure docs are aware of your emetophobia xx

LowrieT
02-10-10, 22:29
With all my operations, must be about a dozen , I told them about my phobia and they assured me they would give me an anti emetic with the anaesthetic. I have never been sick/

Nervy_of_catford
02-10-10, 22:59
I've had 4 general anaesthetics - one was an emergency - and each time I've been able to explain to the anaesthetist that I was emetophobic, and they've filled me with anti-emetics.

I've not been sick from any anaesthetic, nor from the sedatives I was given when I had my wisdom teeth out, nor from a couple of doses of morphine for quick-acting pain relief.

Explain your phobia. Anti-emetics are very useful, and very effective!