PDA

View Full Version : Planning to start Citalopram and feeling optimistic...

anxious1985
13-09-10, 20:32
Hi all!

I was prescribed this today after months and maybe years of consideration. My mother always suffered badly with depression whilst I was growing up and would often self medicate these types of drugs to herself and suffer quite badly - I would hate to replicate her experiences of sleepiness, depression, generally odd behaviour (im not exactly sure of her mental illness specifically) therefore I have never, at the age of 25, ever wanted to take medication for anxiety related to an unsettled(but still happy) childhood.

I suffer daily from anxiety, just a bubbling deep down that puts me on a heightened state of alertness that something might 'go wrong'. This involves me checking my sons school is safe when I hear sirens and carrying my mobile from room to room with me incase I get a call that he has had an accident(which has happened and obviously made things worse - a bad head injury resulting in a hospital stay).

Ok maybe you don't need all this info, but I'm hoping someone can reassure or empathise with my 'story'. I recently qualified as a teacher but have not yet found a job which is making me low(but not depressed as such) as my husbands career is suddenly taking off. I occasionally have panic attacks (if i get a phonecall from an unknown number/sirens near school etc.) but these are pretty rare and even rarer when i was busy at uni and teacher training.

So here i am today with my meds, assured by the nurse that science has come along way since my mother took meds and feeling one million percent better after reading the guide thats posted at the top of the boards. Like a lot of people I am really frightened of going to a dark place when I initially start the meds but am trying to focus on the hope that i wont and will try keep busy while its kicking in. Because i am used to living with my anxiety and can be happy and optimistic and stop myself going too low, would it be expected that I would not go lower than I have been in the past, i.e. people who have bad days are having the sort of days that made them start using the meds and not worse days than they've ever experienced EVER????

does this make sense? Basically, if my anxiety was 1-10 scale with 1 being very dark and low and I picthed myself as being at 3, would I possibly go to 2 and 1 because of the meds? I am worried that my initial potential low period would be a really dark place for me that I have only ever been to twice in my life.

Thanks!!

anxious1985
13-09-10, 20:36
Might i add the problems I have are more than I listed here, including OCD amongst other things but its just a gist of not daily panic attacks as such an avoidance of any situations that may make me nervous.

suzy-sue
13-09-10, 22:53
No one can tell you the answer to that im afraid .All I can confirm is that a lot of people experience heightened anxiety for a short period .Some however dont feel much worse at all .You will get through this adjusting period tho .You will always have someone here to help you through and support you .It will help if you have some CBT THERAPY FOR THE OCD .as well as taking the medication .Meds alone dont get rid of it .They only enable you to get to a place where you can help yourself overcome it .Good luck sue