PDA

View Full Version : Hello Everyone.

shuandrew
02-03-06, 12:07
Hi, everyone. This is my first post on the forum, but I've already chatted in the chatroom for a little while and read some of the articles on the site. Very helpful stuff. =)

My name is Andrew. I'm 21 and have suffered from anxiety, (social, mostly) for the past five years or so. When I first started getting attacks I didn't know what was happening to me. The most 'memorable' examples included having to run home half way through a paper round that I had because I thought I was going to faint/drop dead. School was also a nightmare. I was a nervous wreck, couldn't concentrate and the journey to and from there home was horrible. I was so glad to get back to the safety of home. Had trouble going out to places with lots of people at the time.

I turned to the Internet and found a lot of information about my symptoms and discovered it was anxiety I was suffering from. I've never seen a doctor about it, but over the years it has got a little better. The only times when it really affects me now are places/periods of time where I know I'll be confined to a certain spot. So University lectures, the cinema, football matches and concerts are still a big problem. A year or two ago I went to the theatre to see a show and, although I stayed throughout the entire performance it was one of the worst bouts of panic I have ever experienced, (all the usual symptoms).

Thankfully my girlfriend is really understanding, the only person who I can really speak to about how I feel. I've tried talking about it to some other friends but I get the impression that they see the whole thing as a bit odd. I can understand, since a lot of the symptoms aren't obviously physical and despite how common it is, there doesn't seem to be a lot of understanding about it.

That's about it, really. Hopefully reading and talking to likeminded, (so to speak!) people on here will help me take steps to beating/controlling this silly, irrational fear once and for all. I know it has stopped and continues to stop me doing things I'd like to, and that can't be right! =)

Going to see Jack Johnson tonight and I find it so frustrating how I'm using more energy to worry about how my anxiety will affect me there, (sat amongst thousands of people for a couple of hours) rather than how much I'll enjoy it.

Heh, I'll be quiet now.

Thanks for reading.

Andrew.

Alexandra
02-03-06, 12:36
Hi Andrew

Welcome to the forum.

You will find lots of help & support on here.

Take Care

Alex

Many People Will Walk
In & Out Of Your Life
But Only True Friends
Will Leave Footprints
In Your Heart

trac67
02-03-06, 12:57
Hi Andrew,

welcome to the form, you will get a lot of good advice here andmake some new friends.

Take care

Trac xx

'Live your life with arms wide open, today is where your book begins, the rest is still unwritten'

Ma Larkin
02-03-06, 13:41
Hi Andrew, Jack Johnson eh! Lucky you! I'm lucky in the sense that I've never really suffered from social anxiety, I'm the opposite, but there have been times when I've felt really overwhelmed by being in a crowded place (i.e. GMEX) & had to get out of there & go & find a corner to have a panic attack. I got the sense of losing my hearing, almost as if I was underwater & everyone sounded ****led, & people were closing in on me. I don't know what the fear was or why it only happened in certain places, but I did get over it only because I realised that nothing had happened to me so far, fair enough I'd panic like hell, but I stuck it out, even though people could physically see me shaking & sweating, I was even honest & said "don't worry about me, just having a panic attack - just ignore me, i'll be OK shortly", which is a real conversation stopper I can tell you! I'm glad your girlfriend is so understanding, until anxiety touches your life whether its you personally or someone you know, it is a kind of taboo subject. It is all about changing irrational thoughts into positive actions, most of us have suffered for years & think that we have something far more serious because of the symptoms yet we are all still here to talk about it & share it with each other, which in itself is the greatest comfort & reassurance I'll ever get.

Take care & enjoy the concert mate!

Les

jackie
02-03-06, 14:00
http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/default.asp?t=cms&c=reading

HI ANDREW HOPE WE CAN MAKE YOU FEEL WELCOME.

HAVE YOU EVER READ BOOKS ON YOUR ANXIETY AND PANIC. I THINK CLAIRE EEEKES BOOKS ON IT ARE THE BEST AND HARD TO LIVE WITHOUT. YOU CAN GET THEM FROM THE SITE ABOVE

HAVE YOU EVER HAD CBT. MANY SWEAR BY IT

I HOPE YOU FEEL AT HOME HERE AS I DO
JACKIE

shuandrew
02-03-06, 14:19
Thanks for the kind messages, guys. =)

In reply to jackie, I did buy one book on anxiety a year or two ago, but I don't think i really took enough time to put into practice what it said in there a bit at a time. Can't remember who it's by, I'll dig it out and have a look later.

Never tried CBT either. As I said, I've never even been to a doctor about my anxiety. Is CBT available on the NHS? Would I have to wait long? I'm keen to try anything. Considering hynotherapy too, but not sure how many sessions I'll need or whether the cost will be worth it.

I forgot (somehow) to mention that my panic has also grown into health anxiety. Heart stopping and heart attack are the most common, though any twinge is reacted to by my brain as a worse case scenario illness. That's what scares me the most when I panic in crowds. I feel like I have to hide the fact that I'm panicking... especially as my brain is thinking it's something serious. I could hardly tap the nearest person on the shoulder as a healthy(ish) 21 year old and claim to be having a heart attack! Heh.

I'll be driving from Swansea to Cardiff to the concert tonight too, which is scary. Leaving at 3pm. Wish me luck!

Thanks again for your messages, too. They're really reassuring. =)

Ammeg
02-03-06, 14:26
Hey andrew!!
Welcome to the forum!!!!
Firstly swansea to cardiif?? r u welsh?? where you from if you r??? :D
Yes cbt is free on nhs, you have to go through your gp. there are lots of help offered including medications which can help ease the symtoms and classes that learn you to control yuor breathing etc!!
Hope your drive goes well!!! and again a big welcome, you will meet some fab people on here!!!!
Ammegxxx

tracyp584
02-03-06, 14:52
Hey Andrew,

Welcome to the site, you will find lots of support here!

Let me know how Jack Johnson is, you lucky thing!

Take care,

tracy x x

Every time you avoid your fears they become stronger,every time you face your fears they become weaker.

sueiamnew
02-03-06, 17:21
Hi Andrew, welcome to the site.

Robertc160882
02-03-06, 17:34
Hi Andrew,

Welcome to the site i'm sure you will find it a big help.

Robert

Karen
02-03-06, 19:24
Hi Andrew

Welcome to the forum.

You might find the following information helpful:

First Steps (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/default.asp?t=cms&c=firststeps)

Symptoms (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/default.asp?t=cms&c=symptoms)

Health Anxiety (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/default.asp?t=cms&c=healthanxiety)

Your doctor could refer you for CBT but you will need to specifically ask for this and there is sometimes quite a long waiting list on the NHS. Hypnotherapy could also be very helpful. Have a look at the CBT (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/default.asp?t=cms&c=therapy) and Hypnotherapy (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/default.asp?t=cms&c=hypnotherapy) information on the home pages.

You will find a lot of help and support here.

Karen

Happiness is not a state to arrive at but a manner of travelling.

You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough ~ Christine Cagney, Cagney & Lacey

wendy
02-03-06, 19:39
Hi Andrew

Welcome!
Wendy x

seh1980
02-03-06, 19:58
Welcome aboard!! :D

"If life were simple, word would have got around"

sal
02-03-06, 23:09
Hi Andrew

Great you have posted and great that you have been in the chat room.

Love Sal xx

Dont mess up the best things in your life, just because at present you are unsure who you are.

"Life is a distance and to travel that distance you were given the strength and guidance to do so".

shuandrew
03-03-06, 00:31
Thanks again for the info links and nice welcome, guys. =) It's nearly 12.30 and I've just got in.

The worst part of the day was the drive, surprisingly! I just get waves of anxiety and the feeling that I'm going to have a heart attack. =| A few ropey moments, but nothing too bad.

So lucky at Cardiff Arena. I booked early and managed to get seats on one of the balconies, (the rest of the crowd were crammed on the floor below). Where we were was a small three tier cluster of about twelve chairs, so I wasn't trapped in at all. I felt mostly fine throughout the show, only anxious a couple of times - mostly when the crowd went a bit wild or when I knew I song was going to kick into a loud bit. I really enjoyed it, though my erratic breathing didn't allow for much singing! Half way through a line I'd be hyperventilating so I'd have to breath again. Oh, well!

Feels good to be home again, anyway. Definately does.

To Ammeg - I was born and still live in Swansea. In my last year at the University.

Goodnight everyone. =)

Andrew.

Meg
03-03-06, 07:19
Good on you for such a good night Andrew.

Singing is a really god measure of hyperventilation and you can use a song to try to regulate your breathing

Well odne for coping with the drive.

CBT is available on nhs but the waiting list can be months.
Check out our reading page and get a couple of books to help you help yourself - read and start to apply

Meg
www.anxietymanagementltd.com

Your anxiety is the human representation of the pictures that you paint using your many vivid colours of revolving and reoccurring thoughts.
How big is your gallery ?

nomorepanic
04-03-06, 15:29
Hi Andrew,

Just wanted to welcome you aboard and well done on going to the show - that was a great achievement.

Nicola