PDA

View Full Version : High ESR level found in my blood tests

Eggy
14-09-10, 21:14
I am really worried about this now after finding out today that i have high ESR levels, The doctor said it's inflammation but as i am having stomach problems recently i am terrified that i could have cancer as i have read that high ESR levels can point to cancer and things like kidney disease and other illnesses.

Anyone else on here had high ESR levels?

lecb
23-09-10, 00:35
Do not worry, if you had cancer, or your doctor was worried about cancer, they would give you a scan straight away.

A high ESR is a sign of inflammation or infection. It could be a simple as you are under the weather - that will give you a high ESR level. Do not panic - there is something going on in your body, but it most probably is something very mild and will pass.

X

nomorepanic
23-09-10, 19:01
I get high ESR levels with my Crohn's as well

debs71
23-09-10, 19:16
Believe me, ESR is not what they will be looking for when it comes to cancer. A FBC that is all over the place is what they would be looking at.

As lecb, high ESR is a mark of infection or inflammation, and their are countless things it may or may not be when you consider all the things that can cause infection, mostly treatable.

Why are you automatically drawn to cancer?

Assuming that you didn't just have an ESR alone, was everything else ok? If so, please don't worry.xxxxx

Eggy
23-09-10, 21:50
Believe me, ESR is not what they will be looking for when it comes to cancer. A FBC that is all over the place is what they would be looking at.

As lecb, high ESR is a mark of infection or inflammation, and their are countless things it may or may not be when you consider all the things that can cause infection, mostly treatable.

Why are you automatically drawn to cancer?

Assuming that you didn't just have an ESR alone, was everything else ok? If so, please don't worry.xxxxx

I'm probably automatically drawn to Cancer because quite a few people in my family have died from it including someone who wasn't much older than me.

Spencer
24-09-10, 22:28
Hi Eggy, Take a look at this link, should put your mind at rest :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Erythrocyte_sedimentation_rate

Johnson360
25-09-10, 01:59
all I know it doesn't much concern about cancer... it counts RBC precipitate in a period of 1 hour. ESR is of limited use as a screening test in asymptomatic patients.

ElleJ
11-11-10, 20:31
My ESR levels are threw the roof as I have crohns disease aswell.

A high ESR level just indicates possible inflammation somewhere and my Consultant told me most of the time a doctor doesn't even take any notice of it as it proves nothing and certainly does not show any signs of disease in the body.

andri
03-05-13, 19:50
I too was diagnsed with high esr repeately over the last yrs. Just decided to search a bit more this time after a severe stomach pain. Will let u know, i am now with antibiotics for the last 8 days feeling better.

fluff
03-05-13, 20:23
Ive had this aswell for about 10 years but I am fine :-)

Nellie76
24-03-16, 21:36
Hi everyone sorry this is such an old thread I'm commenting on. Like the op I've just got a raised ESR level and of course I always think the worst and Google shows up cancer and lymphoma as reasons. Op how are you doing now I hope you are much improved xx

Cynthia K. McIntosh
06-03-23, 15:13
ESR stands for erythrocyte sedimentation rate, which is a test that measures how quickly red blood cells settle at the bottom of a test tube in one hour. An elevated ESR level is usually indicative of inflammation in the body, but it does not pinpoint the exact cause of the inflammation.

There are many conditions that can cause a high ESR level, including infections, autoimmune disorders, and certain medications. It is essential to consult with your doctor to determine the underlying cause of your high ESR level and to receive appropriate treatment.

In the meantime, it's understandable to feel anxious about your health, but try not to jump to conclusions before receiving a proper diagnosis. Discuss your concerns with your doctor and ask any questions you may have. They are there to help you and guide you through the process.