PDA

View Full Version : Spiders

Jaco45er
15-09-10, 15:40
No, I don't have a phobia of them, well not unless they are massive, hairy and poisonous ;)

However my wee girl (9 yo) is terrified of them, and not sleeping too well, and I am find loads in the house almost daily. Infact the one I chucked out last night, if it was any bigger? it would have chucked me out.

Is it my imagination, or are there loads of them this year? I can't ever remember so many !!!!:shrug:

Is there anything that deters them ?

diane07
15-09-10, 15:51
We've had hundreds of the things jaco, i've had 3 on the couch with me just in the last week, they're everywhere, luckily my little girl has got over being afraid of them its my 18 year old daughter that runs around the house screaming and as for the one that ran out the leg of my jeans a couple of weeks ago, it still makes me shiver.

If you do find something that deters them i'd love to know.

bottleblond
15-09-10, 15:52
That's really odd because me and my friend were talking about this this-morning. We seem to have loads of them too and they are massive.

I had one in my shower the other night, didn't have the heart to squish it so i put my brave head on and fetched a large glass and put my hairy visitor outside to safety. As soon as i let it free, my neighbours cat clocked it straight away, pounced and scoffed it. What was the bloomin point? :lac: Lol

Only thing i can suggest to deter them mate is to put your mug shot on all the windows and doors. If that doesn't deter them then nothing will. :winks:

Runs >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

xxxx

diane07
15-09-10, 15:59
:roflmao:lisa

ladybird64
15-09-10, 16:01
Hey Jaco

They don't bother me at all, yet I have a strapping son (him and his twin 25 today) who is absolutely petrified of them.

Repellant sprays don't work, nor do those electrical plug in thingies (tried them). Only thing I can suggest if if you have net curtains in the house is to pin them at all four corners so the buggers can't get in!
Failing that, try doing the same thing with a piece of fine mesh, it should cut down on how many get in even if it does make the homestead look a bit weird. :wacko:

suzy-sue
15-09-10, 16:19
Get a big cat ! or this stuff might help www.spiderEx.co.uk (http://www.spiderEx.co.uk) Sue

KK77
15-09-10, 17:43
Get your pistol out and shoot the buggers is what I say.

nomorepanic
15-09-10, 17:49
I have some repellant stuff but never tried it - is it no good then LB?

Lynnann
15-09-10, 17:55
Don't know if this is an old wives tale but I was told putting a bowl of conkers by windows and doorways repels them something about the chemical signature that conkers give off.

At least it is the right time of year for the conkers tho

Lynnann:flowers:

nikk_dolittle
15-09-10, 18:00
Nooooooooooooooo Send them all to meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.

I will take care of them, dont kill them!!! LOL

CrazyCatLady
15-09-10, 18:03
Check for gaps under your windowsills and doors - that's how they usually get in. The following will deter them, because they hate the smell:

conkers. put a small pile in each coner of the room
lemon juice. use lemon cleaning agents, or a spray bottle of lemon and water. careful of fabrics
peppermint oil. haven't tried it, but supposed to put a few drops onto cottonwool, then leave them in corners, under sills etc.

Good luck!

nikk_dolittle
15-09-10, 18:03
ok in answer to this......

The first is chestnuts, yes chestnuts, spiders hate chestnuts and they won't even come near them. So if you place them around your house or shed they will stay away.
Another way to repel spiders is to use lemon pledge. Its not a natural spider repellent but it works. Spiders hate lemons and their taste buds are on the tips of their legs. So by spraying your window and door frames inside and out will keep spiders away.

Hope this helps

Nikk xxxx

Jaco45er
15-09-10, 18:58
cheers all, but just find an even bigger one, now daughter wants to move house lol

I will try the lemons

diane07
15-09-10, 19:11
i'm gonna fill my house with chestnuts and lemons, i don't care what it will smell like :roflmao::roflmao:

nikk_dolittle
15-09-10, 19:13
Lemon isnt allowed in my house!!!

Jaco45er
15-09-10, 20:18
I am sure there is a mad scientist living near my house, crossing spiders with hippos, the last spider I seen today couldn't get out the catflap.

Hazel B
15-09-10, 20:20
My cat eats them, or my aunt swears that tea tree oil repels them. She sprays it in her shed every week and swears it works.

bottleblond
15-09-10, 20:20
:roflmao:

Now be nice, pick it up and put it outside!! :D

Jaco45er
15-09-10, 20:23
If you think I am picking this thing up? you are sadly mistaken, I have just called 999. As for tea tree oil? can you buy it in 40 gallon drums ?

bottleblond
15-09-10, 20:24
Pmsl i never thought i'd see the day when me good mate Jaco was scared of a wee beastie. :shades:

Jaco45er
15-09-10, 20:27
Who's scared? I am not scared, it's my wee girl I am worried about (who incidently has forgotten all about it and is watching Madagascar 2 in her room eating a cookie).

Can you bath in Tea Tree oil ?

bottleblond
15-09-10, 20:28
:roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:

http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSBilRDLjtq9vuXRrtoC0enITmBvDym9 QGu_pLpz8ozKnWfctU&t=1&usg=__cpLET1jWqbCNrp_Ethhz9ujcO-I=

pmsl

Hazel B
15-09-10, 20:30
Not sure about bathing in tea tree oil, but Superdrug sell a range of face wipes, oil etc, I think you can dilute the oil with baby oil to make the spray.
Sorry moderators if I'm not supposed to advertise, I am quite new, it's the only place with the range.

bottleblond
15-09-10, 20:33
Hazel

That's not advertising hun so don't give it another thought. :hugs:

Lisa
x

Jaco45er
15-09-10, 20:35
Hazel this creature is so big, using a facewipe would be like hunting a lion with a slipper ;)

bottleblond
15-09-10, 20:36
I'm cracking up here. :roflmao:

diane07
15-09-10, 20:43
oh i'm howling :roflmao:

Hazel B
15-09-10, 21:07
I'm not saying you should wipe the spider's face!!!!!! I mean that they hate the smell, so you could wipe the bedside table etc. I'm falling off me chair laffing now............. how we giggled...........

diane07
15-09-10, 21:10
oh this is so funny, i'm crying with laughter xx

bottleblond
15-09-10, 21:12
I'm not saying you should wipe the spider's face!!!!!! I mean that they hate the smell, so you could wipe the bedside table etc. I'm falling off me chair laffing now............. how we giggled...........

You tell him gal
:roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:

Maj
15-09-10, 22:29
"September Spiders!!" I always told my sons. Can't get away from them. Always massive this month. They always know to expect massive spiders when September arrives - it never fails.:sofa:

SueBee
15-09-10, 22:40
I've had so many of the beggars lately. I've had two crawl on me on the sofa. My son has had three in his bed. Every night I've had 2 or 3 and they are just the ones I see!

I'm not really scared of them but I regularly have to save my burly 6ft son from them. I will pass on the tips about lemon and chestnuts ... its either that or move into uni with him!

diane07
15-09-10, 22:44
lmao sue :roflmao:

eeyorelover
15-09-10, 23:12
Just blew tea out my nose cuz of visualizing Steve, frantically washing himself with wetnaps to avoid spiders!
PMSL
That's a mental image I'll have to carve out of my brain somehow!!
LOL

We have wolf spiders over here that are the size of saucers.
They are everywhere!
Huge fuzzy things!
Google pics of them!
They are SCARY!!!
Before I take a shower I make my husband do a spider hunt cuz there's always at least one in there!
*Insert shiver here*
Read somewhere that we all swallow spiders while we sleep.
So many in a lifetime!
It's like 8 or something ;)
Added protein I guess.
YUK

diane07
15-09-10, 23:26
Sandy i'll not sleep tonight now knowing you swallow spiders the size of saucers :roflmao:

Rous
16-09-10, 00:44
Hi Jaco,

I know spiders move indoors during the last weeks of August & thru till late September. :)
[Added note... As the weather of the World is ever changing to a warmer climate, the period they come in has moved back almost an entire month since about the 1900's, so in the future as we warm up, it'l move further and further back, eventually till when there's no real Winter they will stop coming in. :blush:]

They do this to escape the oncoming Winter weather outside, the heat escaping from windows, doors, vents (even those vents below flor level have escaping heat, especially in central heated homes) & cracks (even tiny ones) in walls atracts them in, they follow the heat straight in, they usually head up to the ceiling coz the house heat is at its hottest there.

I live on the ground floor of a set of four flats, I get the coming in then they move up thru the flats to the loft at the top, a place I'll never go, not that I'm scared of spiders, I'm not really but when ye see them in there by the hundreds it'd scared even a spider collector, one odd thing I know is that by the time March comes along there are very few left coz they cannibalize each other to survive, so if ye see a really big fat spider in late winter ye can be sure it's killed hundreds of other spiders to survive. :blush:

Anyway, rambling as usual, I wanted to let ye know I used the plugin-to-the-wall things for a while, they worked well too, but for me, having little money, I cudn't run them constantly, and I'm used to them passing thru on there way upstairs now. :D

If ye can try the electric plugin deterrents, they work well, but ye need to plug in a few stragedically about the house, near doors, drafty windows and the bathroom & kitchen mainly.

For those folk who ever wondered why they find spiders in the bath-tub, there are 2 reasons...

1. The usual one, they fall in. This isn't the main reason why though.
2. If you haven't ran the bath for say more than a day or two, the bath waste pipe dries up enough for the spiders that come down from the gutters in the drain pipe outside or via other pipes to find a way along the bath waste pipe to the bath.
Even with the plug in the bath they can keep going to the overflow hole, you can get little covers for that hole.
The best way to help prevent them coming along that pipe is to run the cold bath tap for about 5mins at least once a day. Most bath waste pipes don't have a U-bend but run straight out to the drain-pipe outside, that's how they can get in because there's no U-bend.
For the animal friendly amongst us, you can lay a 1" strip of cotton or similar material from the bottom of the bath side up and over the edge to the wall, that way they'll always find a way out and continue their journey to the ceiling. :blush:

Jaco45er
16-09-10, 06:10
Sandy, somehow I would know if I swallowed this one, it would be like someone shoving a chicken in your mouth while you're asleep ;).

wow Rousel, I am making you our resident Arachnid-techie :).

You have gave me a couple of good ideas Rousel, either I move outdoors during September, or I build a house on top of a giant U-bend !!!!!!!

Sorted :)

tnt808
16-09-10, 08:09
I love how you've used your poor, sweet daughter as your cover-up. Ya wimp :winks:

Rous
16-09-10, 15:54
Lol Jaco, that's about all I know of spiders.

I had a horrific experience when I was a youngster, I fell thru the large bushes in my Dad's garden, only to land in a tiny wee dry spot between the bush bases, it was covered in webs & spiders and so was I. I still had to push my way out thru to the lawn, took me ages and by the time I got out I was so calm I just stood there picking the spiders off one by one while my brother ran off screaming in to the house. :blush:

I was still finding the odd one that night in my bed. :biggrin:

Never had a fear of them as such since but like most folk I get that flight respose for a milli-second it one appears suddenly tho. :blush:

I know in my life of at least 2 times I've choked on a spider while sleeping & one time I defo felt the crunch in my mouth, that time I woke with a leg on my lip & a strange taste in my mouth, I cudn't recommend them raw but I know in some far east countries the really big ones, like tarantulas, get fried up in their thousands as delicacies. :D

weeble40
16-09-10, 16:15
Jaco you great wuss, and blaming your poor lass,

as I told you last night, its spider season, they come in to breed LMAO,
leave the poor beggers alone, let em do there job, they will eat all them nasty minging flies that come and shate on ya food in the summer,

must confess they are mighty big this year thou,

Spiders, spiders, they want me to tap dance, I don't wanna tap dance (Harry-'You tell those spiders Ron')I'll, I'll tell'm I'll tell'm....zzzzzzzzzzz....
Ron Weasley

Follow the spiders? Why couldnt it be follow the butterflys?
Ron Weasley

eeyorelover
16-09-10, 19:34
Somehow it doesn't make me feel any better that the spiders are coming in my house TO BREED!!
Now all I can envision is being in the middle of one of those B movies with spiders trying to take over the world!!!!!
*Shiver*
;)

ladybird64
16-09-10, 21:37
I don't mind spiders at all but can't stand daddy long-legs.

Ewww..:scared15: Flying, zzzzzing, 'orrible wee beasties.

Went into the bathroom to get washed this morning. ran the water in the sink, grabbed washcloth from side of bath and dropped it in water..
Guess what came floating to the surface? http://digilander.libero.it/faccinewub/w/11/argh.gif

I'm gonna nail the damn windows shut. :mad:

Lynnann
17-09-10, 13:23
Lordy that was a big daddy long legs to pick up the facecloth and drop it in the sink then use it as a boat to float on:roflmao:

Only kidding, my daughter can't bear this time of year because of spiders and daddy long legs, yet she thinks reptiles are fantastic ewwwwwwwwww

Everyone has a weakness in regard to an insect, animal or reptile or bird.

Mine is snakes, so I will do daddy long legs and spiders for daughter she can do anything that doesn't have legs for me lol

Guess thats working together:D

Lynnann:flowers: