PDA

View Full Version : any mothers here absolutely scared to death of having children taken away??

Jeanine25
15-09-10, 18:59
Bit of history in short, my mother had 6 kids, abused us all and we were all seperated and taken in to care.
Because of this I have become paranoid that i'll be tarred with the same brush and people will think im just like her. every time my eldest son falls over and bruises i think 'what if people think ive done it'- he started nursery last week and the night before he went he decided to fall over the beanbag and smack his hand on the tv cabinet, it left a rather nasty bruise and marks up his arm, i was worrying all day that people at nursery would think it was suspicious.

i cant stop worrying what people think of me as a mother- i read on this site that one of the symptoms of anxiety is worry what others think, well i have this quite badly; im always so paranoid and i worry tremendously that people think i cant cope with my children because of my anxiety.

after i gave birth to my youngest son (9 weeks old) i was so horrified that i was in hospital and i was in such a hurry to get back to my eldest boy as he'd never been without me before, that i stressed continuously to midwifes that i wanted to leave hospital that day- they let me go but told me they'd be making a referal to 'family services' because of my anxiety :(
im not mental, i just worry alot and being told by drs just after you'd given birth, that youre being referred to 'family services' is enough to send any sane person off their rocker. THANKFULLY the referal was declined and nothing came of it

i wish i could stop worrying... i always worry constantly that people dont think i can cope with my kids and i tried so hard not to be my mother that i basically became scared of disciplining my eldest son and just spoilt him rotten instead... this caused a problem in the long run as he now has behavioural problems. hes a lovely natured boy but he has a temper on him- i worry people blame me for this.

ive tried so hard to give my boys everything, not only because i love spoiling them but also because i fear if i discipline them then people will think im like my mum.

the health visitor left my home an hr ago and im sitting here worrying if ive said something to make myself look ridiculous... she knows me really well so i mentioned to her how i was concerned about my son always falling over and bruising himself and that i was worried people would think he was being hurt or something; i've always wittled like this to her but im now trying to convince myself that she believes it too...

why am i like this??? i cant handle this anxiety anymore :(

PokerFace
16-09-10, 10:19
Hey Jeanine! I don't have any children of my own yet but I can understand where you're coming from. I get thoughts that one day when I have kids will I be seen to be an unfit mother because of my anxiety. I know it's not exactly the same because these fears are very real for you but fears are all they are!

NO parent is ever perfect, they all make mistakes even my mum and she's been REALLY great to me and my sister! Kids are always falling over, scratching and bruising themselves! I was a walking disaster area when I was little lol I was always bangin my head on something or fallin down a load of stairs I was just naturally clumsy. I don't think I went without a cut or a bruise for the first 10 years of my life! My mum even had to take me to A&E once when I was really small cuz I ate a load of cigarette ends when my mum was on the phone to my Grandma LOL also when I bit into a glass mercury themometre just cuz my mum told me not to! If that was me I'd be panicking that they'd think I was irrisponsable and call social services, but it's just a fact kids do silly things like that and everyone knows it. My mums had me for 20 years now (poor her :D) with no issues with social services cuz I was never abused and you don't abuse your children so you won't have issues with social services either!

I spoke to my friend he's got 3 little boys of his own, he's said they're always bruised from playin footbal, messin around, just generally being little boys! I'm sure you're a great mum and if you have a look at the other kids in the playground you'll probably spot a fair few bruises on them too. The midwife must have scared you a lot by saying she was getting family services. I don't agree with them being able to scare you like that KNOWING you have anxiety. I seriously don't see how that acheived anything but you feeling more awful! That's over now though and turned out alright so just try to push it to the back of your head cuz you and you're boys are gonna be fine! :)

I'm sorry if this post didn't help much, I'm sure someone with children of there own will reply soon, probably give you a bit more advice than I can. Hope you feel way better soon. xxx