PDA

View Full Version : Sleep problems with mirtzapine

Gaz
15-09-10, 19:28
Hi there

recently been diagnosed with depression 3 weeks ago Doc put me on 30mg of mirtz and 2 sleeping pills as i had trouble sleeping.
Came off the sleeping pills and still got the same amount of sleep when i was on them. The mirtzapine kicked in last week when I started to feel 'normal' .I get about 90-120 min blocks of sleeping and wake up wide awake then not sure if i'm sleeping if you get what i mean with real vivid dreams.
I saw the doctor yesterday and told him about the sleep,so he put my dose upto 45mg saying that its still a relatively 'normal' dose and it'll help with my sleep.
So that night I took the 45mg and had my worse nights sleep in 2 weeks???
So I rang the doctor this morning and he was quite taken aback by this but advised me to continue for a few nights to see how I get on with them but if it continues he'll drop it back to 30mg.
Has anyone else had this experience? Looking on the forum 45mg cause sleep problems but surely the Doctor knows this?
Regards a confused Gary :blush: :)

Vixxy
15-09-10, 19:43
Ive taken 15,30 and 45mg doses. Ive found the sedative effect is exactly the same on all 3 doses. Even though Ive read that it works more in the lower doses.
I have no sleep problems with mirtazapine, once im asleep im asleep. In fact it was a relief as SSRIs give me nightmares and very broken sleep. Being on mirtazapine was a breath of fresh air.
However I have a friend in teh states that was given mirtazapine to help him sleep and it didnt work. Not everyone reacts well to different ADs, so it might be just your chemistry. You might just need to try a different one.
It will take up to 6 weeks for a dose to get into your system and work well. If theyre making you feel more normal this will eventually work on your sleep too. Give it a while and see how it goes :)

Gaz
15-09-10, 20:05
Thx Vixxy

I'm just so irritable and low without a goods night sleep and having 4 kids(1 with special needs) it gets hard but i'll carry on.
Whats an SSRI? Also what category does mirtzapine fall into?

Regards Gary

paula lynne
15-09-10, 21:07
Hi gaz an ssri is selective seratonin re-uptake inhibitor....ie...makes you feel good x:)

ElizabethJane
15-09-10, 21:28
Hi Gaz I'm sorry that you are having sleep problems on 45mg of mirtazapine. I am also on 45mg mirtazapine but I still experience sleep problems. Mirtazapine is notorious for causing vivid dreams but these should settle after a few weeks. You need to allow the mirt to get into your system and the transition to 45mg seems quite a rapid one. You should feel the benefits in a month or so. Just for the record mirtazapine is not an ssri. It is infact an snri and works in a different way to an ssri. It is a useful 'add on' when an existing anti depressant med does not work or needs to be augmented. SNRI stands for serotonin norephinephrine re uptake inhibiter.SSRI is selective serotonin re uptake inhibitor. I think that you need to allow the mirtazapine more time. I have also some low dose zopiclone to take if need be and that is very occasionally. EJ.

Gaz
16-09-10, 12:26
Well I had a better nights sleep last night,but still wake up every 90-120 min which I don't mind as long as i get about 5-7 hrs a night.

I just think the key to beating this depression is getting my sleep back on track but the Doc says its the depression thats causing me to have sleep problems.......its like a constant circle :lac:

Onwards and Upwards :yesyes:

BubbleBonce
16-09-10, 22:45
I've had sleep problems caused by the Mirt. Instead of taking them at night I now take them in the mornings and that sorts my sleep out. :D

It only ever made me sleepy the first night i took it, then when I went up to 30mgs it kept me awake badly. It's also given me oedema on my legs which is pretty nasty too so I think I need to switch. I'm starting a new job on Mondaythough and am reluctant to mess about with new a/ds now.

Good luck

Gaz
17-09-10, 20:06
Did the mirtz make you drowsy Judith?
I get off to sleep fine but its staying asleep thats my problem,everytime I wake,I'm literally wide awake.Maybe the high dosage is stirring my brain?:mad:

Another bad nights sleep last night although I felt good all day.
I've taken it 2 hrs before bed tonight instead off the 1.

Onwards and Upwards:yesyes:

Gary

BubbleBonce
17-09-10, 20:10
No the mirt didn't make me sleepy at all, quite the opposite in fact. :blush:

Try taking it in the morning instead. I think you've been started on too higher dose.

jo61
18-09-10, 09:30
I wouldn't mess with the dose gaz without consulting your doctor. Everyone is different but I find if I take it very late I'm hungover the next day. If you plan to take a dose in the morning, make sure yuo have nothing planned for that day. Frankly I wouldn't do it. Go back to doc would be my next move if I were you :hugs:

Gaz
19-09-10, 19:19
Last night I had and unbroken 4hr sleep untill 2am then broken sleep untill 7am.:yesyes:
We've started having warm milk before bed and I even started meditating with 'mindfullness of breathing' technique.
Can't believe I'm meditating,if I was told I was going to be doing this six months ago,I'd have thought the men in white coats will be coming to get me:)

Onwards and Upwards, Gary:yesyes: