PDA

View Full Version : Worst night ever!!!!!

lajjj
16-09-10, 07:20
lookin for tips! had the worst night ever last night.. my heart was beating so hard and so fast that i actually thought it was gonna explode out my chest i could feel it in my throat hear it in my ears my chest felt tight i actually thought this is it am gonna die...its scared me pretty badly so i know this is prob gonna continue all day as i cant stop thinkin about it! any one have any tips to calm my self down? i have just got over a cold and cough thing thats been going around and the muscles in my chest feel tight from coughing i think! so i think that has been the trigger...think i may be holding tension there. therefore focussing on the heart area alot! also had a few night palpataitions over last few weeks which is possibly another trigger and its a spiral!!!! i dont wanna go down!!!

kibbutz83
16-09-10, 07:42
Hi Lajjj, welcome :) I only joined a few hours ago, so I'm new to all this too. I can't tell whether you're male or female, young or old? Panic hit me 5 years ago, and for the past two years I've been trying to understand the causes-which isn't easy or straightforward!
As you said you have been focussing on the heart area a lot, which could point to hyper-vigilance, which is all part and parcel of anxiety. Have you been under any underlying stress or sleeping badly? It seems that what you're describing is a panic attack, but it could be a one off. I would say that if you can try to sleep, you will be better equipped to deal with the fear aspect. Lay off stimulants if possible: coffee, tea, fags, alcohol etc.
You must make your adrenals strong at a time like this! Good luck, Nicola

lajjj
16-09-10, 07:48
hi nicola:)thanks for your reply i am 31 and female suffered from anxiety for 14 years! just been feelin better recently so forgot how bad panic attacks are!i think your right about the sleep thing i have been very tired latley i hope i get this under control quick! i need to take my little girl to school and get to work i am DREADING the drive which of course is just gonna make things worse!!!!!

kibbutz83
16-09-10, 08:22
Hi again Lajjj, I guess if you've suffered from panic for 14 years, you kind of know what's going on by now! If you've been feeling better for a while, and suddenly panic strikes, your alarm bells are gonna start ringing... The fear of a return to those days are worse than any horror movie or bad dream :( I suppose you need to try and focus on something positive, and not fall back into old "mind-sets?" Try and keep yourself strong :) I think being a parent can be a real challenge for "people like us"! Nicola

LiquidSky
16-09-10, 08:50
Hi lajjj, I've had the same on numerous occasions, I've woken up in the middle of the night with my heart booming quite fast, sometimes, when I cough, it will start racing too, and unfortunately the panic sets in and the worry and then end up in an eternal loop. As kibbutz has said, if you've suffered from panic and got over it the fear of it returning after an episode like this can make you panic. Keep remembering, you've had these before and they've gone away before, that's what I tell myself, also, I do find a paper bag does help and if you concentrate on your breathing, deep slow breaths from the diaphragm not the chest, and put the paper bag over your mouth and breath with your mouth, to get your co2 levels back up a bit and stop you from hyper ventilating. Hope this helps some and hope the rest of your day is better.

heavenly
16-09-10, 09:45
lookin for tips! had the worst night ever last night.. my heart was beating so hard and so fast that i actually thought it was gonna explode out my chest i could feel it in my throat hear it in my ears my chest felt tight i actually thought this is it am gonna die...its scared me pretty badly so i know this is prob gonna continue all day as i cant stop thinkin about it! any one have any tips to calm my self down? i have just got over a cold and cough thing thats been going around and the muscles in my chest feel tight from coughing i think! so i think that has been the trigger...think i may be holding tension there. therefore focussing on the heart area alot! also had a few night palpataitions over last few weeks which is possibly another trigger and its a spiral!!!! i dont wanna go down!!!

You poor thing. :hugs: Nights are the worst for me, no distractions, I get really scared if I am a bit anxious before I go to bed, because I know it will only get worse. Taking a diazapam helps me if its a bad one, but I have only been suffering from this for about 5 weeks, so its very new to me and I am still learning and I need the meds at the mo, I am having counselling as well. I have rescue remedy to hand, my Ipod is next to my bed, it has relaxing music on it. And if you can talk to someone, even if you wake them up, or ring someone? I need company when I am feeling anxious. Make sure you talk to your GP as well. xxx

lajjj
17-09-10, 18:26
thanks every one for the replys! your right kibbutz its scary bein a parent with all this going on! its prob a good thing tho because we have to keep going for the kids! liquid sky and heavenly thank u both for your advice am trying everything! having a really hard time full blowing panic attacks today tho managed to go to work etc my muscles are aching in my chest think this is the reason am freaking out! avan tho i know its all in my head as its the opposite side that hurts now! think i will get some deep heat on and have a realaxing night xxx

JFlower
17-09-10, 18:41
It's scary when you have those nights :(

I tend to find chamomile tea helps a little and also trying to focus on something else (although that can be impossible I know).

Hopefully a much better and relaxing night for you :)

lajjj
17-09-10, 22:16
thank you jflower the only thing that has calmed me down tonight is a can of lager! wrong i know but its soooooo nice not to be anxious for once! xx

*clare*
18-09-10, 21:05
I suffered a panic attack a few months ago in the middle of the night and it was so bad that i ended up in hospital, my heart rate was going at 170, i was terrified. Since then i have been suffering with then, i seem to wake up and if i notice the time on the clock to be the same time my bad panic attack happening, i start to woryy about having an attack which therefore brings one on. I've now started thinking up attacks. It's a terrible cycle. I've found doing deep breathing exercises really helps. When i feel like a panic attck is coming, i start to deep breathe, this often relaxes me. It's a terrible thing to go throuh though. I feel for all of us x

lajjj
19-09-10, 09:26
yes its all a cycle and train of thoughts i know exactly which thoughts are causin it and even when the thought occurs i cant seem to shake it off even tho i know its not real and there is no danger! there is always that 'what if'!!! i think i am just scared of the discomfort now rather than the panic attack because i get very achey with tensin up so much which then limits my enjoyment of life.... i know eventually it will pass as it will with you these are just the times we have to take it easy and work through it x