PDA

View Full Version : Worried about teeth falling out

albatross
16-09-10, 10:16
Hi all,

First time poster here. I've suffered with health anxiety (and according to my GP probably a bit of generalised anxiety/depression too) for at least two years now. It was triggered by a worry that I had cancer, which was in actual fact neck pain brought about by stress. I was taking SSRI's for about 18 months, and starting to feel better about things, when my GP suggested I should come off them, which I did over a few months. A short while later, I started worrying again.

The latest thing I've started worrying about is my teeth. I had severe gum/tooth ache about 6 weeks ago; my NHS dentist said my gums looked "extremely swollen" but suggested it would go away if I practiced good oral hygeine.

I bought an electric toothbrush and embarked on a stringent oral cleaning regimen, but things didn't seem to improve. I then saw a private dentist, who said I had trench mouth. He gave me antibiotics, and since then I've been going to him on a weekly basis for cleanings etc, and since then my teeth do look and feel a lot cleaner.

I started googling around the condition, and got pretty terrified over the whole thing. I have a couple of patches of gum recession around my lower front teeth, which have been there for years, but one in particular seems to have gone much, much bigger since starting to clean my teeth thoroughly, virtually doubling in size. I've heard that this can be due to gum inflammation and that as the gums start to heal they shrink back, exposing the true extent of any recession. My NHS dentist semi confirmed this when I asked him about it, but is adamant I'm not losing any tissue, and both he and the private guy think I'm worrying un-necessarily. All the dentists I've seen (four in total) have said that I shouldn't/definitely won't lose any teeth because of what I've had progressing, and that it's not getting any worse. In fact, the private guy said it was a "huge improvement", and my NHS dentist said it was "like looking at the difference between black and white" when I went back to him last week. My NHS dentist said he's very doubtful I've even had trench mouth in the first place, as I've not had bad breath or lots of necrotic gum tissue etc.

The problem is, I'm utterly convinced that my teeth are all going to fall out now. Since I've taken up cleaning my teeth so thoroughly (usually after every meal, floss once a day, mouthwash three times a day up until this week) my mouth feels very dry, and although neither I or the dentist can see anything in my mouth, it feels like it's shedding skin. My saliva feels thick, and my gums/teeth still sometimes ache. I also now have an extremely sore throat which I've had for about 2 weeks, which I saw the doctor about last week but he said it just looks a bit red and should go. However, I read that left alone, trench mouth can spread to the cheeks, throat etc. I also sometimes have a strong burning sensation in my mouth and on the tongue. I've been having proper treatment and keeping up the oral hygeine now for about a month.

The logical side of me says that the skin shedding could be due to such a strict regimene of cleaning etc, and that the aching could be stress/grinding teeth, the sore throat and burning mouth could be a stress thing too, and that I've just had a bit of gingivitis which is on the mend. I actually remember the trigger for all this, it was a billboard for corsodyl that I saw saying gum disease is the number one cause of tooth loss in the uk. I started checking mine and getting stressed about it. That said, my NHS and the private dentist were both quick to confirm that my gums in the lower front were very swollen and infected (but the rest looked quite good), and the private guy mentioned trench mouth, I'd never even heard of it before that. The other thing that really bothers me is the ever expanding bit of gum recession, which the dentists I've seen are very unconcerned about, adamnt that i'm not losing any.

Why can't I trust professionals diagnosis that I'll be ok, that I'm not going to lose all my teeth, or even one or two because of this? I've read that trench mouth can be caused by high levels of prolonged stress combined with gingivitis; both of which I've had. Do peopel think I'm blowing this out of proportion? To my eyes things don't look a great deal better, but then I'm not a dentist. Do you think the gum/tooth ache etc could be psychosomatic? It seems highly co-incidental that I've seen a billboard about gum disease, recently come off SSRI's, and suddenly been hit by this. But then all the dentists have confirmed there is a problem of some sort. Despite accepting that I have issues with health anxiety, anxiety, stress, depression etc that have been diagnosed by professionals, I've become utterly convinced that I've had trench mouth and despite my best efforts it's spreading to my throat and other areas of my mouth, even though I've been getting treatment and cleaning my teeth like mad, which I would imagine would make this virtually impossible. Has anyone had an sort of similar experiences?

It's really affecting me badly, I can't think about anything else, I'm really down and worried about it. If anyone can offer any advice, I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks in advance
James

paula lynne
16-09-10, 10:24
Hi there James..Im Paula, nice to meet you. Firstly, NEVER use Google, this time last week I had ten years to live because of my aortic reflux. Its not true.
Second, please trust that your doctor and dentist know what they are doing.
If the routine youve adopted doesnt seem to be improving the proble, maybe go back and see if there is anything else they can suggest? Its hard with anxiety, I do understand...once that little seed of doubt is planted. Your teeth wont just fall out, they are made from the hardest bone type in the body, and cant take a lot of abuse. You are to be commended for looking after them now, but as I said, if no improvement, get another appointment. All the best.x:) (oh...I mean they CAN take a lot of abuse..sorry!)

albatross
16-09-10, 10:31
Hi there James..Im Paula, nice to meet you. Firstly, NEVER use Google, this time last week I had ten years to live because of my aortic reflux. Its not true.
Second, please trust that your doctor and dentist know what they are doing.
If the routine youve adopted doesnt seem to be improving the proble, maybe go back and see if there is anything else they can suggest? Its hard with anxiety, I do understand...once that little seed of doubt is planted. Your teeth wont just fall out, they are made from the hardest bone type in the body, and cant take a lot of abuse. You are to be commended for looking after them now, but as I said, if no improvement, get another appointment. All the best.x:) (oh...I mean they CAN take a lot of abuse..sorry!)

Hi Paula, thanks for the reply. Well that's just it, the dentists seem to think it is improving, but to me it's not. Probably my anxiety do you think?

MoonlightFire
16-09-10, 10:35
Hi James,

I have had similar fears for years on and off. I've had worries about my gums since I was abouit 19. When I was 21 I got trench mouth...you would know if you had it, it's EXTREMELY painful and your gums swell and you get a greyish white film over your gums which is the dead tissue. I was a very stressed student at the time and was not looking after myself. Stress can cause havoc with your gums. I go for regular cleans now like yourself and I go to a private dentist who is well worth the money. Aslong as you clean twice a day, floss if you need to and see you dentist regularly then you'll be ok. Trust your dentists - they are the experts. I have a couple of receeded spots from the infection but if you look after them they improve a little. Stress is very good at making your gums puff up so best thing is to try and get your stress levels down...easier said than done I know! Just relax and take your dentist's advice.

Moonlight Xx

paula lynne
16-09-10, 10:37
Yes it sounds like anxiety. After all they are trained professionals, and if they see improvement, it must be improving? Trust what they say. After youve done the oral routine, go and do something else, take your mind off it. You seem to be looking for something thats not there James, as we all do! haha. Hope YOU see improvement soon.x:D

albatross
16-09-10, 10:43
Hi James,

I have had similar fears for years on and off. I've had worries about my gums since I was abouit 19. When I was 21 I got trench mouth...you would know if you had it, it's EXTREMELY painful and your gums swell and you get a greyish white film over your gums which is the dead tissue. I was a very stressed student at the time and was not looking after myself. Stress can cause havoc with your gums. I go for regular cleans now like yourself and I go to a private dentist who is well worth the money. Aslong as you clean twice a day, floss if you need to and see you dentist regularly then you'll be ok. Trust your dentists - they are the experts. I have a couple of receeded spots from the infection but if you look after them they improve a little. Stress is very good at making your gums puff up so best thing is to try and get your stress levels down...easier said than done I know! Just relax and take your dentist's advice.

Moonlight Xx

Hi Moonlight. Thanks for replying. Do you mind me asking how long it took for the trench mouth to clear up when you had it, and did you take any anti b's, or have any of the other things at the same time that I mentioned like the feeling of skin peeling in the mouth or a sore throat? I had pretty severe pain in my whole mouth, definitely the worst gum/tooth pain I've ever had, which I guess is what made the private guy diagnose trench mouth, but like I say, I didn't have a grey film on my gums or bad breath, so perhaps I didn't have it?

Also do you mind me asking if you lost any teeth from it? It's hard finding anyone who's had this condition to ask about it, so sorry if I'm prying, it just might help calm me a little!

Thanks
James

MoonlightFire
16-09-10, 10:59
Hi James,

It took a week or so to clear up and I took Metronidazole. I didn't have the symptoms you mentioned - the throat pain or the peeling skin thing. The antibiotics are very good at clearing it up. It can be caused by intense stress and is seen in students and soldiers (hence the name trench mouth) and people under severe stress. It affects the gums not the teeth so my teeth were fine. My gums are fine now apart from a couple of slightly receeded bits. I have met one other person who had it when they were a student. Don't google. Lots of those articles refer to people in third world countries who are malnourished and are less able to fight infection or do not have access to antibiotics or proper healthcare. You are being looked after by your dentists so please don't blow this out of proportion. Just look after those gums! :)

I'm getting a bit freaked out talking about this now but I hope I've helped a bit. Xxxx

albatross
16-09-10, 12:08
Hi James,

It took a week or so to clear up and I took Metronidazole. I didn't have the symptoms you mentioned - the throat pain or the peeling skin thing. The antibiotics are very good at clearing it up. It can be caused by intense stress and is seen in students and soldiers (hence the name trench mouth) and people under severe stress. It affects the gums not the teeth so my teeth were fine. My gums are fine now apart from a couple of slightly receeded bits. I have met one other person who had it when they were a student. Don't google. Lots of those articles refer to people in third world countries who are malnourished and are less able to fight infection or do not have access to antibiotics or proper healthcare. You are being looked after by your dentists so please don't blow this out of proportion. Just look after those gums! :)

I'm getting a bit freaked out talking about this now but I hope I've helped a bit. Xxxx

Yeh you have, thanks :) Maybe I'm making this worse than it is thinking about it all the time. Do you think cleaning my teeth and mouthwashing etc so thoroughly could cause the peeling?