PDA

View Full Version : Numbness in arm - please help.

scanny77
16-09-10, 13:26
Hi there,
Am getting myself into a bit of a state as I am experiencing a funny sensation in my left arm, it feels numb , a bit like the circulation is being rstricted and causing my fingers to tingle abit. I have been really anxious this week as I am going into hospital tomorrow for an operation and I am really worried about having general anethestic. Has anyone else had this? I feel like it is getting worse through the day but then so are my anxiety levels.

Thank you

gypsywomen
16-09-10, 13:37
try not to worry yes i have had this ,,and many more people on here too,, but if it gets worse with chest pain you could ask your....but anxiety causes all sorts of pains

KK77
16-09-10, 13:46
Anxiety is most probably the root cause of this. The more you worry, the worse it gets so try to distract yourself if you can. It's really common with anxiety and I've had it many times and is generally due to circulation.

Hope all goes well with your operation Scanny

kibbutz83
16-09-10, 15:03
Hi Scanny77, basically the more you worry the more you hyperventilate. This then causes too much ( carbon dioxide ?) in the blood. Was told this by a paramedic when I suffered my first panic attack 5 years ago. My arms, fingers, jaw, all felt numb and tingly.... I was absolutely petrified! I begged for oxygen, he said no it will make you pass out :( So as someone who suffers it on a regular basis, it sounds like definite anxiety :( You need to SLOW DOWN and take some long, calming deep breaths. If you can do something to take your mind off it all the better! Good luck :)

scanny77
16-09-10, 15:20
Thank you so much for your replies, have managed to calm down a bit now and although it's still there it is not as bad. Thank you for your reassurance, it really helped :)