PDA

View Full Version : blood test - scared, paranoid and panicky!

BunnyMazonas
16-09-10, 13:48
Okay, a bit of history.I have a really, really awful GP surgery; they are notorious in this area, but unfortunately the rules for changing GPs here are strict due to shortages.

Every time I go to the GPs I see someone different and they are all terrible; utterly uninterested in what I come in for, they gloss over whatever I ask about then immediately set about trying to use me to fill out their government targets.

When I first started taking citalopram I experienced some of the "unusual euphoria" type symptoms; but when I went in the GP I saw just said "yes, sometimes we feel happy and sometimes we feel sad", then told me I was too fat and thatonly eating every other day was not enough to lose weight and I should be doing more, and why aren't I worried about it, and that I have "abnormally short limbs".

I go in about my meds, I go in with a torn muscle, I go in with a persistent chest infection, they talk about weight and heart disease and ask the exact same questions every time. I am fat, but if they ever took the time to ask they would understand that I maintain as healthy a lifestyle as I am able (I don't eat processed foods, eat little meat, eat no sweets, cook from scratch etc). I am on implanon as well as having been taking citalopram until recently, both of which cause weight gain, but they always just assume I am eating "too many sweet fatty things". My BP is always fine and I have no family history to be concerned about (a long line of fat but robust people).

I find it hard to trust doctors as it is and this makes it really, REALLY difficult.

Anyway, this week I went in and for the first time ever saw a doctor who seemed to have his head screwed on. He noticed my nerves so started out gently, chatting with me to put me at my ease and making jokes. He looked me in the eye when he spoke, rather than just staring at his computer screen. He asked what I was concerned about, listened, then spent about 25 minutes asking relevamt questions relating to my anxiety issues and explaining things carefully and simply. For the first time ever I felt like I understood the advice I was being given, and felt like he had actually paid attention to my situation. He did mention my weight, but actually asked about my lifestyle rather than just assuming, and was happy with what I am doing.

The doctor wants me to take a blood test as he said some of the things I think are medication side effects could also be related to other undiagnosed conditions, like thyroid problems.

I know this doctor seems really nice, but I just cannot stop shaking the feeling he was just trying to trick me into something, and I am really scared about the blood tests and what they will show. I've never had a blood test before. What do they test for? What can it show? I'm really worried about this. I know it is silly but I just can't shake the feeling that I can't trust doctors.

rosebud
16-09-10, 20:14
Try not to worry. I hadn't had a blood test for over twenty years until recently. i was tested for everything under the sun and all came back normal but i was a complete wreck waiting for the results. I was always worried i had an overactive thyroid because i'me always anxious don't sleep well and never put on any weight but the test was normal. Even if there is a problem it can be sorted. Hope everthing goes well xxx