PDA

View Full Version : Pls help..heartburn and scared of cancer

kitn77
16-09-10, 20:54
Hello I'm 33 and female and one would say healthy, i work out daily and eat a very healthy diet. I have been diagnosed with anxiety over 10 years ago and also IBS. I always knew what my IBS symptoms were (bowel spasms (sorry), wind, slight bloating but not much etc. I had some heartburn back in July, really bad, I thought I had ovarian cancer after googling it and was petrified, I went to my GP she did an internal examnation and couldn't feel anything, she told me to take antacids which did nothing. I then went to see a Gynaecologist who did a internal (vaginal and rectal) exam, no abnormality found. After that it subsided as I felt "reassured". The heartburn has come back very bad in the last two weeks, I am a bit stressed with my exam coming up, my husband had some health issues (he's ok now) and other things. My anxiety has hit an all time high now as the burning in my chest is so bad, nothing relieves it, I burp a lot too but don't have acid reflux come up in my throat, I also get some chest pain. I've got the IBS symptoms bad too with gurgling stomach, no real bloating though, spasms after going to the toilet and realy bad "butterflies" feelings in my stomach, severe anxiety feelings. My questions are and I hope you can help me:

Does this sound like ovarian cancer even though I had an internal exam by my Gyne about 7 weeks ago and Im 33, healthy, no history of cancer in my family?
Can anxiety cause severe heartburn?

I don't know what to do I dont' want to keep fueling my fears by running to Doctors, my husband has begged me not to go as they put me through all these unnecessary tests but I'm scared stiff of leaving it in case it's cancer, I can't seem to calm down..please help. My exam is in 2 weeks and my husband and I are going on our belated honeymoon just after, I so desperately want to feel well. Please help me, thank you.

MrBlue
16-09-10, 22:26
aside from the female symptoms, you have every single thing that i have, heartburn ALL the time, IBS, chest pains. heartburn is a real burden for me, i get it so so bad that antacids cannot make it subside, my doctor told me that it's all part of IBS/stress/anxiety and nothing to worried about, i too doubt him but i try my hardest to believe.

kitn77
17-09-10, 14:52
Thanks Mr Blue, anyone else have some insight that's a female? I woke up today trying to be more positive and to realise i have anxiety and it's only making it worse. I am always worried about the BIG C..how do you not worry about this? I feel it takes over my life sometimes.

j2
17-09-10, 19:41
Try what my dr calls a GI cocktail, go get some prilosec OTC and start on it then get some Pepto. Take the Prilosec daily and while it is waiting to start working take at least one dose a day of pepto. Also, metamucil for your IBS. It will help stabilize your colon during this time of distress. I have dealt with GERD and IBS for years and I can relate to what you are saying. As for the female problems, you have had the tests and I think you are fine.

It really sounds like GERD to me. Good luck

joannap
17-09-10, 21:51
i have had all the symptoms you describe for around 3 months and i too do not want to keep stressing myself out by going to the doctors. the more i am relaxing and accepting it - the better it is getting - sometimes i hardly notice it but i have some sort of symptoms all the time and yes - anxiety can cause it x

HelenLouise
17-09-10, 22:23
Hey!
Yes anxiety definately causes this!
Its to do with the adaptation response your body automatically goes in to when anxiety is present!
I think the blood rushes away from the stomach area which causes digestive symptoms.

I get heartburn and stomach issues when i am anxious!
Its horrible but i it is just due to the anxiety we have to cope with.

As for ovarian cancer - you would have other more obvious symptoms and if you had an examination which found nothing then you have nothing to worry about!

Don't worry about ovarian cancer and keep smiling :)

xxx

p.s ...don't google your symptoms :D! I always do this when i'm in panic mode and it always says i have cancer! xxx