PDA

View Full Version : sa or ha or both

davey
17-09-10, 02:31
Im usually in the health anxiety section because thats where most of my problems lie-my therapist told me on wednesday I have social anxiety which has led to health anxiety and a major major fear of nighttime and the dark in general, can anyone relate to this as im a little confused?

thanks guys :D

PokerFace
17-09-10, 14:43
Different types of anxiety are like a tangley web. People can slip from one to another like that. Looking back on my life I can see a bit of Social Anxiety and General Anxiety as I hate meeting new people, I just stick to my group of friends that I know and love and if one of them introduces me to someone else I must come across extremely rude cuz I just don't talk to them unless I'm extremely drunk, then I'll talk to anyone lol. I never actually classed myself as having an Anxiety disorder until 6 months ago when literally overnight I got extremely bad Health Anxiety about my heart, to be honest I had no clue about any anxiety disorders.

I guess if you have an anxiety problem you have that mindset to worry about things already drilled into your brain so it's easier to start worrying about other things even though it's not the type of anxiety you would class yourself as having personally. For example, someone with HA disorder could develop SA too, and vice versa.

I never ever thought of myself as being Agrophobic, I used to hear the word and be like "What? How can they be scared of going out.." My HA has actually led to me being slightly Agrophobic. When I get really bad I literally won't leave the house AT ALL until I've managed to pick myself up a little bit again. Even when I am feeling good, the thought of leaving the house sometimes terrifies me so much I have to stand at the door for a good 10-15 mins trying to calm down before I set foot outside, all because of my Health Anxiety. It's funny how all types of anxiety, fears etc can all be connected like that. Kinda like a domino effect sometimes! ;(

This is just my view on this by the way, I'm sure many other people have many different veiws on this subject! xx.

davey
17-09-10, 15:58
that was a great reply thankyou-all makes a bit more sense now

Nigel
17-09-10, 17:36
Hi Davey,

I suppose there’s only one person that can answer that, and often the answer doesn't quite fit into one of those nice neat boxes the profesionals like to put people in.

Social anxiety tends to be when a person feels anxious around other people and in social situations, and it centres around fears about being negatively judged by other people and worries about what they’re thinking about us.

Take care,
Nigel

xfilme
13-10-10, 23:21
i have both social anxiety and health anxiety. i used to also have depression and panic disorder but now Ive narrowed it down to just the two :D