PDA

View Full Version : focusng on symptoms

bronte
17-09-10, 10:49
Hi as anyone found that if they dont focus on their pains /symptoms they subside I myself suffer from ibs and at the moment suffering from pain /bloating on the left side of my stomach i think about it when i wake up worryng that im going to get it and within half an hour its there. As anyone esspecially with things like ibs which is made worse by anxiety find that their symptoms gets worse when you worry about and focus on them and has anyone got any advice on controling this focusing x

busybeingmum
17-09-10, 11:57
Hi Bronte - The whole thing with health anxiety is that we really feel the symptoms. I have been through rouynds of blood tests in the last couple of years (when my HA started) for symptoms of bloating, pains. lower cramps etc. I find that I stop worrying about them when the professionals say I'm okay. The pain also goes away.
With my left breast I have been having lots of random pains - this I know will go now I know it is just a cyst.
Especially with IBS, pain definately occors with the anxiety. Imagine you have an itch on your arm - it will sure enough start itching!!! x

bronte
17-09-10, 12:00
hi busybeingmum so are so right if you focus on a part of your body you can make it hurt my therapist told me that our mind is very powerful