PDA

View Full Version : Reducing Citalopram and worried?!

mike2512
17-09-10, 13:09
hi, iv been on citalopram for 7 years an want them out of my system, but iv tryed to reduce them in the past and the side effects have been so bad iv upped the dose. When slowly reducing them last time i suffered with brain zaps, a feeling of unrealnes an extreme dizzyness, I also had this weird feeling in my eyes when i turned my head. The panic attacks were unbearable so i found myself bak on the 30mg, Iv succesfuly reduced my dose to 20mg over the past few months but since reducing to 10mg i can feel my head starting to feel tingly and i feel very nervous. Im temptd to up the dose again because the side effects are starting to scare me again, I want this drug out of my system so bad as i feel its the root cause of my feeling low and weird feelings/side effects. Any advice appreciated, Thanks

suzy-sue
17-09-10, 13:42
Hi Mike ,I have also reduced from 40mg down to 25mg .Ive reduced each time by only 5mg .Ive had practically no trouble apart from the odd headache and some mild sleep disturbances for a week or so .Perhaps if you upped another 5mg it would help you stabilise before you reduce again .It is always better to reduce very slowly to avoid bad discontinuation syndrome .All the very best Sue x

mike2512
19-09-10, 11:06
Thanks sue, iv been suffering with a weird type of headache, it just hurts when i cough at the top of my head, im still waiting for the side effects to properly start, im still on 10mg and just about copping.

JT69
19-09-10, 17:24
Hi Mike,

I agree with Sue it is best to reduce really slowly....that way you will avoid withdrawal effects. I took cit on and off for around 9 years and always found I had the zaps but as I reduced very slowly they were minimal...it was only this last time when I had to come off and change to another med...basically reduced from 40mg-0mg in one week!!! Never again!!! Was horrendous...but got over it as you do.

I wish you luck Mike. Take it slowly.

Jo.xx

mike2512
19-09-10, 20:28
Thanks jo, this site is a great help, i have a weird matel type taste in my mouth? but tryin not to let it freak me out.

suzy-sue
20-09-10, 10:47
Hi Mike .The metallic taste is a normal side effect of starting or discontinuation of Citalopram .It will pass .It can be a sign you have reduced to quickly .Drinking more water may help as the saliva is affected as you sometimes dont produce as much .Also chewing gum will help .,as it stimulates saliva production .Taking your pills with food may also help with other side effects as it can affect the digestive system .How are you feeling to-day ? any other symptoms to report ? I hope not .. Ive reduced down to 20mg since Sat .So far so good x Woke up feeling less tired and no anxious thoughts ,thats a first ,as I find my anx gets worse in the mornings when I first cut down .I havnt had any headache either .Better not say anymore thou ,as I dont want to tempt providence ..lol .The drop from 20mg to 10mg is probably the hardest this is based on numerous articles and posts ive read .Hope you are feeling ok and you let us know how its going ..Good luck sue x

mike2512
24-09-10, 09:07
Iv woke up from my sleep feeling extremely dizzy were the room is spinning, I feel awful an took an extra 10mg. Iv since just been sick and can't get off the toilet I can't cope with this an I'm starting g to question whether it is that small tablet that causes this??

suzy-sue
24-09-10, 11:29
Sorry to hear your not feeling very good Mike . Upset stomache and sickness is a symptom of discontinuation syndrome .Also the dizzyness .The dizzyness when you wake is down to low blood sugar .its made worse with reaction to it .Keep a biscuit and drink beside the bed and eat /drink before you get up .Slow deep breaths through your nose and out through you mouth will help with oxygen levels .I can understand why you took another tablet ,but it wont fix things im afraid .Your body will now have to get used to a different dose again .Why dont you just take another 5mg ,each day and then see how you go ? That way you are neither upping or lowering too much ,it should even out a bit .Otherwise you may feel even worse again .I have felt pretty good myself this week .I only cut down last Sat .I ve had 2 fuzzy headaches and felt a bit sick a few times .But it passed very quickly .Ive been keeping busy and drinking plenty of liquids .So its going well .Hope things level off for you soon Mike .:hugs:T/c Sue

mike2512
02-10-10, 21:44
Just an update... It's been 2 weeks on 10mg now an iv copped well. But last night iv started to feel funny in my head it's hard to describe, it's like a heaviness/drowsy/dizzy feeling it's horrible. Thought I wouldn't get side effects now after 2 weeks but I guess here they come :-(

suzy-sue
02-10-10, 21:58
Thats normal Mike Well done for getting thru it ...Ive been having a few s/e too .Feel sick a lot of the time ,woke up sweating twice this week .Weirder dreams and they are quite weird anyway .Feeling tired and lethargic and fuzzy headaches ..OH wot fun !..Still soldier on eh ?..Hopefully another week and it should start to get better ..Keep updating and remember it wont last . T/c Sue :D:D

mike2512
02-10-10, 22:57
Thanks sue it's comforting knowing I'm not alone.

mike2512
23-10-10, 12:14
Just an update I started to feel myself again being on 10mg so iv cut the tablet in half the last 3 days down to 5mg an today the 3rd day I feel very tingly in my head I guess the old side effects are starting :-( just can't help thinking iv got away with it dropping down to 10mg an the nightmare is about to begin on 5mg. I'm so close to bring off citalopram I'm praying il be able to do it.

joannap
23-10-10, 18:12
hi mike

know how you feel lol! i stopped taking my last 5 mg 10 days ago and have had all sorts of side effects - terrible stomach cramps (i had been having stomach probs before but 3 days after my last tablet i was crippled so think this was too much of a co-incidence) also the very heavy head and feeling really light headed - like my head is made from cotton wool. i have also had some wierd muscle spasms/twitches plus feel as though different muscle groups are tensing at different times.

the good news is that although discontinuation lasts at least 2 weeks - it does get better. they can feel terrible when you start them so guess its the same but in reverse! now i can feel my body protesting against the lack of them i am quite horrified that i have been blithely taking this med every day for 6 yrs! i am not anti meds at all but really think i should have just been on it for blips instead of continuously. the reasons i am coming off is that 1) i do not want to be on them forever. 2) i wanted to see what "me" was like without 3) i think i have been suffering side effects and so wanted my system clean again.

i have been taking 40-80 mg propanalol a day to take the edge of withdrawal so perhaps you could do this and just keep telling yourself that it is normal to get withdrawal symptoms and they will pass x

mike2512
23-10-10, 19:44
Wow thanks Joan I feel exactly the same as you I should never have been on them this long and I'm determined to have my own body back. I feel okish tonight iv had 3 5mgs now in 3 days. Hoe long were you on 5mg for? Did you just stop or take one every other day etc thanks again fr the reply.

mike2512
27-10-10, 12:30
7 days on 5mg and have been fine but just been out shopping an I'm now in bed with panic symptoms. My eyes and head feel weird it's a dizzy/drowsy feeling.... I guess here comes the side effects.

suzy-sue
27-10-10, 13:17
Sounds like it Mike :lac:..The second week I had my last reduction wasnt nice at all .SOUNDS the same .Dizzy ,felt sick ,weak ,drowsy and felt like I was having panic attack .Deep breathing and relaxation ,will help .Also try to take your mind off the symptoms .It will all pass after a while .Mine lasted a week .Im not reducing any more until after Chrismas ,as I have to much to do and cant cope with feeling like that at the moment .Take care and good luck ..Sue x

mike2512
27-10-10, 13:57
Thanks sue, it seems to have passed now. I feel like I can't cope with to much stress either what dosage are you on now?

suzy-sue
27-10-10, 14:19
Glad its passed ,it comes over in waves I found ..Im on 20mg come down from 35 .Feel really good on it ..So thats a good sign .Im tempted to go down another 5mg ,but it made me feel a bit useless ..lol I do think I cut down too quick from the previous reduction ,it had only been 2 weeks .so it may have been the reason I felt so awful .Will see next time eh? Sue x

mike2512
27-10-10, 16:02
Well at least ur coming down off them Which is great and if ur comfortable on 20mg maybe you should stay there until after Xmas. I was comfortable on 10mg an I'm thinking I should have stayed there but iv done 7 days on 5mgs now so I'm going to try and ride it out.

mike2512
31-10-10, 12:20
11 days on 5mg and feel weird in my head, finding it hard to motivate myself and feel happy. Considering just going cold turkey just dont know or to persist on 5mg for now. Have constant negative thoughts in my head again and the weird tingly feeling in my head is getting me down.

mike2512
03-11-10, 09:26
14 days on 5mg an last night was horrible, i suddenly felt very weird in my hide its hard to explain, like i was going dizzy but i wasnt?? when i moved my eyes it was like electric running through my whole head. Feel really low today and negative and considering just upping the dose. Just feel so negative after a side effect like that or was it a side effect?!

suzy-sue
03-11-10, 11:24
Yes Mike it is a side effect of cutting down ...You have done really well so far .It should normally start to ease off in another week . Its just the brain chemicals /receptors adjusting to a lower dose and it wont hurt you .Scary stuff tho eh? .Try to persevere if you can .If not take another 5mg and see how you feel for a few weeks and try again .I do hope you feel better soon .Its also common to feel a bit low when you cut down ,but it will pass .Take care .Luv Sue x:hugs:

joannap
03-11-10, 18:06
i have been off citalopram completely for 3 weeks now and mike - i can totally sympathise with the funny head feeling! i am still getting this - its kind of like a really bad tension headache without the pain - i feel spaced out/unreal and like i need a good smack on the head to clear it! Some days its hardly there but other days it lasts from the moment i get up to the moment i go to bed and although it initially made me feel panicked - i can cope with it now but obviously would prefer it wasn;t there! I was also stood in the fish shop the other night and felt like i was melting into the floor! I have had some really bizzare feelings but i keep telling myself - this is my body reacting to being without a drug that has been in my system for 6-7 years.

i am trying to remember that EVERY time i have an anxious thought - i am encouraging the release of adrenalin in my system so i am really trying to just float through it all but yes - i have felt physically and mentally horrible since i have come off them but am coping. to be honest - i did not feel great before coming off but as i think i said before - i do not want to be on medication for the rest of my life - i want to deal with this and work with it by myself. i also lost a second dog unexpectedly last week (our puppy died tragically in august) - he was only ten and he became ill and died within hours despite seeing the vet and the vet saying there was nothing wrong with him - this was a huge shock for me to get my head round and it was only a week ago so yes - i feel pretty rough but the willpower has really kicked in this time and am determined to stay off!

i would not advise taking a dose every other day - i read that this was the worst thing you can do due to the half life of the drug and it see sawing in your system. i went from 20-15-10-7.5-5 and then came off. good luck - try to focus on the long term goal rather than focusing on how you are feeling in the short term - you feel horrible but i cannot hurt you!

joannap
03-11-10, 18:07
sorry - i meant IT cannot hurt you and not me lol! thinking of you xx

mike2512
03-11-10, 20:15
Thanks it really helps knowing I'm not the only one going through this :-(

mike2512
07-11-10, 17:45
Took my last 5mg last night after being on them for 16 days and iv now decided not to take anymore Citalopram, Im dreading the side effects of not taking them anymore after being on them for 7 years! Felt a bit dizzy today. Here goes.....

Idstain
07-11-10, 17:57
good luck Mike :)

I just got through cit withdrawl myself, lasted about 4 weeks. It obviously can be unpleasant at times but you'll get through it mate.

mike2512
07-11-10, 18:30
Cheers m8. I decided to take a quarter on a 10mg tablet for a few weeks instead because the side effects get me down an have me believing I have a serious illness.

joannap
08-11-10, 09:53
i now wonder if tapering down can be as bad as suddenly stopping lol! i took a year to come off but started suffering all kinds of stomach problems 5 months ago and wonder if i have been drawing out the side effects by coming off them too slowly.

i went from 5mg to nothing but did go down from 10-7.5 -5 and spent about a month on each dose. i then got some propranalol to take to help with any side effects x

mike2512
08-11-10, 11:05
im thinking the same because im feeling drowsy/dizzy cant explain it so im thinking i should just stop instead of taking 2.5 cos this feeling is getting me down i feel like im on drugs :-(

suzy-sue
08-11-10, 13:45
You have come this far Mike and to be honest I would just get it over and done with .Its the hardest part .but will only be prolonged by taking it .Its going to take a while for the receptors to adjust .If you continue taking it at this stage ,you will spend the same ammount of time adjusting and still feeling crap .Sending you strength and good luck with whatever you decide to do . Sue x

mike2512
08-11-10, 16:01
That's what iv been thinking sue, ok that's it I'm stopping here goes (dreading the bad dizzyness and panic attacks :-(. )

mike2512
09-11-10, 09:51
Day 2 without Citalopram and i feel fine but really nervous about side effects and i cant stop thinking about it which is no good but cant help it :-(

suzy-sue
09-11-10, 10:12
Its good to hear you are feeling ok Mike .You will only make the anx worse by fearing the withdrawal process.If you start to get really anxious perhaps the Dr can give you something like Diazapam or a beta blocker to help you through the worst .Try to keep occupied as much as you can and try to go out .Doing normal things will leave less time for the mind to think of the WHAT IFS .Make the most of the good days and take each day as it comes .It will all pass and you will come through it .Well done and good luck .t/c Sue x:hugs:

mike2512
10-11-10, 15:39
WOW for the first time in 7 years iv felt myself today, drug free!, i went to the doctors and told her i was worried about side effects of withdrawal and she said id have started to get them by now and im chemical free!(think she was just saying that for my benefit) Still think im going to get bad withdrawal but iv felt so good today, no doubt il be writing the exact opposite by the end of the week.

ladybird64
10-11-10, 16:10
Now then Mike you can't know for sure..:winks:

Don't try and foresee what is going to happen, just take each day as it comes. If you have a bad day it may well be followed by a great one, we have no way to know for definite.

I have been off the Citalopram for..gosh how long?..since Oct 11th and I have now got rid of all withdrawal effects. I'm having a bit of lightheadedness which is a pain but thats just anxiety trying to sneak in, nothing more.

You are doing so well and it's good to read your posts. Keep 'em coming!

KK77
10-11-10, 16:29
My advice would be similar to LB's. Go with the flow and don't let your emotions run away with you. It's a bumpy road with lots of ups and downs so we have to take the rough with the smooth. However, it's always good to nurture a healthy and realistic amount of optimism.

Well done for coming off your med Mike, and continue to work at getting back to your "old self".

mike2512
11-11-10, 12:14
Here goes....My eyes are tingling cant quite explain it, i feel lightheaded and thoughts of dread, iv just taken 10mg propronolol. Feel so nervous cant think positive when this happens just feel week minded the nightmare has began :-(

mike2512
11-11-10, 12:20
iv been on cit for 7 years and took my last 2.5mg on sunday my question is do you think its completely out of my system or does it take weeks/months?

JT69
11-11-10, 12:55
Hi Mike,

Just read through your post and wanted to say a huge well done to you for coming off citalopram after 7 years.....it sounds like its being a bit of a ride for you but you have got there.

I wish you good health for the future.

Take care
Jo.xx

mike2512
11-11-10, 13:21
Thanks Jo, just hope the withdrawal isn't to severe.

NoPoet
11-11-10, 13:41
Hi mate, from my research I've found that discontinuation symptoms from either reducing or stopping a dose tend to last from 1-7 weeks. I would imagine that if you had a hard time coming onto them, you'll also have problems coming off, but to be honest that should not stop you - after all you dealt with these effects before.

Probably the worst discontinuation effect is the feeling of dread. Everyone who's suffered from bad anxiety knows how that feels! The feeling of dread is a total lie - just ask yourself what really is the worst that can happen? If you're ready to come off, you shouldn't fear a relapse. Nobody ever died from discontinuation, or feeling scared.

You've just got to see it through. Don't be afraid to get all the support you need. You can ring Anxiety UK during the day on 08444 775 774 and Samaritans at any time day or night. Do not be embarrassed to ring as many times as you need. Both of these organisations have helped me a lot. Anxiety UK in particular are aware of how it feels to suffer from side effects.

mike2512
11-11-10, 15:16
Thanks iv got out of bed and decided to try my best to try and forget about although every time i move my eyes the tingling sensation does my head in, i feel like im on drugs. Still determined il never take cit again though :-)

NoPoet
11-11-10, 15:23
Don't worry about the tingling feeling mate, whatever it is, it's unlikely to be worth bothering about. Maybe it's a minor headache or mini-migraine. You'll adapt to it and it will go away.

Getting out of bed to face the day is the best thing you could have done. What's the point in lying there worrying about it? You're doing well mate, keep going. Keep going!

mike2512
13-11-10, 11:56
Just an update, Thursday i was feeling really anxious and tingling sensation in my eyes. Friday i started having panic attacks and the weird tingling in my eyes but i survived and surprisingly i have a good sleep every night. Dont feel as bad today(yet) but still have tingling sensation in my eyes. Its been 6 Days since i last took citalopram and WOW im so shocked iv survived this long i guess it does work when you taper down slow but long way to go anything can happen(hope not lol).

suzy-sue
13-11-10, 12:21
Well done for sticking with it Mike .The eyes have a lot of blood vessels/nerves and also contain Melatonin .this is converted to serotonin The tingling sensations show that the levels are adapting to less serotonin .They change when on ssris and cause different sleep patterns .This is why people have vivid dreams whilst on them .Im glad to hear you are sleeping better this will help your nervous system recover .It all sounds like its slowly getting back to normal function .Hang in there and I hope you have a better week .T/c Sue x

mike2512
14-11-10, 11:27
Day 7 without cit and feel awful. My head is tingling and feels really heavy and strange. Didn't sleep very well as I felt dizzy/tinglin weird sensation before bed. Feel really panicky it's horrible when I move my eyes the tingle is freaking me out. Just taken a 10mg propanolol I can feel a pulse in my head I know the room will be spinning next :-(

JT69
14-11-10, 14:31
HI Mike,

You have done so well...just keep persevering and you will get there. All these feelings are normal from the withdrawal of cit and they do pass. The propanolol will help calm you down hopefully.

Take care.
Jo.xx

joannap
14-11-10, 19:18
hi mike

i have been off 5 or 6 weeks but have now been hit by 3 days of tears and v high anxiety. today - i was all for rushing back to the gp's to go back on but this afternoon felt a little calmer. not sure if now i have got through the physical symptoms of withdrawal that the emotional ones are hitting me!

hang on in there - i know what you are going through x

mike2512
15-11-10, 19:53
Hi joannap. When did the dizziness and wooshy head feeling stop? Iv coped better than I thought. Been ok today but just now went all dizzy/tingly head type feeling it's horrible but I should be thankful as I thought I would be back on the cit by now.

mike2512
16-11-10, 12:46
Day 9 and got up feeling ok after another good nights sleep but just had a panic attack. Felt all weird in my head like tingling and fuzzy and then lightheaded. Lying down now can feel my heart beating. My problem now is the longer these withdrawal last the more I start to think it's not withdrawal and something serious?? Grrr just want to feel normal an get on with my life.

mike2512
16-11-10, 21:17
Still have very wooshy head and tingling in my eyes but again Iv coped. Let's see what tomorrow brings.

mike2512
18-11-10, 11:35
Day 11 an Iv woke up an I feel extremely dizzy and very nervous :-(

mike2512
18-11-10, 16:05
Feel like I'm rantin on now, been the worst day by far since stopping citalopram. Been in bed most of day with horrible dizzy head feeling and tingling sensations in my eyes. Can feel a pulse like heart beat in my head and lightheaded. Had pins and needles in my hands and feet to, Iv been very positive and clear thinking lately but now I feel confused and really low as to how that tiny tablet can make me feel this bad! My temper is really bad Aswel I'm so angry and have a short fuse my wife an kids must think I'm a stranger! I feel angry just writing this I just can't get my head round that pill causing this Grrrrr it's horrible and wish I had answers,.

mike2512
21-11-10, 18:53
14 days since i took a citalopram and i have to admit the tingling in the eyes and the anxiety is getting better, I feel so proud of myself i didnt go back to the citalopram and i have got through it so far, I think there may be light at the end of the tunnel.....

JaneC
21-11-10, 19:37
Glad you are feeling better Mike, hope it continues x

paulst
21-11-10, 20:21
Good for you Mike, long may it continue:yesyes:

mike2512
05-12-10, 21:56
It's been a month since taking my last citalopram and for the last 2 weeks Iv had my body back! I would definatly advise people to reduce your dose slowly when coming off. I thought I'd never come off them but I'm over the moon Iv done it. Although Iv felt really dizzy and a weird type feeling in my head tonight but surely that can't be withdrawal a month later?? Any way there is light at the end of the tunnel!

suzy-sue
05-12-10, 22:44
Well done Mike :yesyes:..You may find you get the odd thing here and there for a WHILE longer .But I doubt it will anything worse than today .Its just the body reajusting .GOOD LUCK With everything .T/c Sue x