PDA

View Full Version : Fluttering Heart and Related Worries

Electric_Worry
17-09-10, 19:06
I understand this topic has been discussed a number of times before, but I'm wondering if people can offer their own views, experiences and reassurance.

I had my first panic attack only recently and I won't lie, it scared the hell out of me. It was without a shadow of a doubt one of the worst experiences of my life. I made an appointment with the doctor the next day and he prescribed me slow-release propranalol which has calmed me down substantially. Over the following days I managed to regain some of my confidence back and have not stopped my anxiety letting me go places and being around people.

Now, although I feel calmer and have grown in confidence since the attack, I am still concerned about my chest. I find it extremely difficult to take my mind off it and I'm constantly worried about having a heart-attack or it purely just stopping. When I get too worked up I can feel my heart start to flutter, which is one of my main concerns. I've had it happen about 10 times in my life and they rarely last longer than a second or two. It's such an abrupt sensation and stops me in my tracks as I cough and instantly put my hand on my chest. Now it's as though I am always on edge and waiting for the next flutter.

Is this a common thing for anyone else and if so, how have you dealt with it? Also, do you have any advice on how to take my mind away from being fixated on my heart?

Any input is welcome. Thanks.

ktloubish
17-09-10, 19:10
i get the same thing and its really scary i had an ecg to put my mind at rest and when it came back clear i knew it was my anxiety so when it comes i tell myself this wont hurt me il be fine , it doesnt make it les of a shock when it happens but at least if you get it checked out it will put your mind at rest x
kt
:hugs:

Electric_Worry
17-09-10, 19:43
Hi kt, thanks for the reply.

Whenever I've experienced this, they've never lasted longer than a couple of seconds and are over before I know it. It's just that it can be quite a shock. I did some research on them (not always a good idea) and the majority of cases seem to be benign, but most anxiety suffers wouldn't be happy with that. They (me included) will be concerned they're one of the exceptions or that there's another underlying problem.

I have thought about seeing my doctor, but I really do hate to feel as though I'm wasting their time. I've been twice in a week already. However, I may consider it over the weekend and if I do experience these flutters again, I will make an appointment.

Thanks again.

paula lynne
17-09-10, 20:03
I agree, a GP appointment sounds like a good idea, just to put your mind at rest for the time being. x:)

Electric_Worry
17-09-10, 21:11
Thanks for the reply, Paula.

I am thinking about seeing the doctor, but I know myself that I am highly conscious of my heart at the moment. Since the panic attack I have found it difficult to focus on anything else and so I am aware of every slight abnormal feeling, regardless of what it is. Then I add extra things into it like knowing I need to get into better shape and worry that I may have heart disease (despite feeling fine before the attack) and so on. I feel certain it's all in the mind but it's difficult to shake the feeling.