PDA

View Full Version : hi i'm Jon just signed up and would like some support

riprap
18-09-10, 02:01
Hi,

My name is Jon and have just signed up to this site, where do I begin . . .?

Ok, so this time last year I felt a million dollars, never been ill or been to the doctors with anything serious. I was just plodding through life without a care in the world. This all changed in February this year, I started getting headaches and felt that my eyes where playing up.

This went on for a few weeks and I became a hypochondriac without knowing it. I convinced myself I had a brain tuma or brain aneurysm. This now seems stupid but at the time was serious. During this time a friend of mine died through an aneurysm, he just dropped dead after weeks of complaining of headaches. This person was not a close friend but when I heard what happened then my mind was in overdrive.

My head aches and and eye problems lasted a few weeks, I was living with my partner at the time and was still at work full time. I started having horrible thoughts and thought I was going to dye, I came home from work everyday around 5pm and went straight to bed, my mind was in overdrive.

I finally went to the doctors to seek advise, they recommended my for an eye test as I didnt wear glasses. I did this and found out I needed reading glasses, since I had a job in an office this was the cause of the eye strain and the doctor reassured my that I didnt have a tuma etc.

Reading back at this it seems logical but at the time it was the worst time of my life.

After getting the glasses I started to feel a bit better but then it hit ou the blue . . ANXIETY !!!

I thought i was going to dye, it was just a constant lack of breathe and fighting for life, it is hard to explain. I was just un able to breathe and felt that i was fighting for my life.

I finally cracked a few days later in work, I was just sitting at my desk fighting for breath all day long, I rang up sick the next day.

Im not sure how anxiety links in with depression but i was off work for 3 months. I signed myself off the 1sr week convinced I was going to die, I spent the whole day in bed and just wanted it all to end.

After the 1st week ended I went to the doctors, they sent me for some tests which all came back clear, they then diagnosed me with anxiety, I didnt believe this at the time as I was convinced I was going to die.

They gave me a course of anti depressants called citalopram. This drug took around 6 weeks to kick in.

I spent this time as a total loner, the doctors signed me off every 2 weeks and I spent my time indoors doing absolutely nothing, it put a huge strain on my realtionship. i didnt think I was depressed i honestly thought I had a fatal illness.

Basically I was off work for around 3 months, the drugs kicked in and to this day i am still on them.

I managed to fight this illness so far and have even gone on holiday, the drugs take the edge off but I know I still have a long way to go.

The shortness of breath at 1sr lasted all day every day but it does get better and If i am active then I tend to fight it even more.

Sorry for the long intro,this is my story and I feel for everyone suffering like me, I am here to make friends and swap tips to fight this !!!

Love Jon

diane07
18-09-10, 02:04
Hi riprap

A huge warm welcome to nmp.

You'll get loads of advice and support here and make some lovely friends along the way.

Best wishes

LiquidSky
18-09-10, 09:14
Hi Jon, welcome to the forum :)

Rous
18-09-10, 09:45
Hi Jon, welcome. :welcome:

This place is full of people who help & support each other, a family of sorts & now yer going to be a part of it. yer not alone here, take comfort in that. :winks:

Welcome to our family. :bighug1: