PDA

View Full Version : Odd Chest Symptom

Georgina
03-03-06, 15:11
Hello there :)

Recently I've been having the oddest chest symptom - it isn't a pain, but a sort of pressure, or feeling of bloating, around the ribs and the chest area. I managed to talk mysef into the idea that I was experiencing angina - but after making myself an internet expert on that topic [:I], it seems not - angina doesn't come on unless with exercise, and I have a half-hour walk to work every day, and have never experienced this during or after that walk!

I'm having horrible, anxiety related indigestion, so I'm guessing this is most likely associated with that, maybe because of the acid producing so much wind :( I just feel miserable because I can't find any indigestion information that lists this as a symptom. It comes on out of the blue (last night, most recently, when I was watching a film), and the sudden feeling of pressure (but never pain) in the chest area is a really scary feeling. It makes me feel like I'm going to pass out - but I never do - and I get kind of dizzy, pins and needles-y and disoriented. It passes off very quickly if I get up and walk about and force myself to focus. Is this remotely normal?? Any ideas appreciated!

katyfitz
03-03-06, 15:28
hi there what ur experienceing is very normal i have that exact symptom right now as we speak and i put it down to sleeping funny or because i sometimes find it hard to eat with the worry, angina isnt the case, chin up chicken and youl be fine its hard to believe but if you dont believe u dont get [^]

Georgina
03-03-06, 15:35
Oh, Katyf, thank you so much for such a quick, and kind, response! In my heart (ha!) I know you're right, it's just so terrifying when it happens - the paranoia really kicks in. Hope your symptoms wear off very soon indeed!

Badchip
03-03-06, 15:40
Emotional trauma, nervousness, anxiety and depression can all cause/agrivate indigestion!

I know how you feel though, I traul through so much stuff looking for answers to my symptoms and get frustrated when i think something might not quite fit but it can drive you crazy. Best way is not to self-diagnose, your not a doctor and nor am i. Tell your doctor about your troubles, if hes one of those doctors that just dismiss right away with 'worry' id get a different doctor. Main thing is that you are reasured. Trying to find answers to your symptoms you may fear them and want to lay it all to rest, maybe because blaming it on 'stress' doesnt win you over.

Are you on any meds at the moments? Suffered anxiety in the past? Suffered with the problems your getting at the moment very long? Or do they alter?

Never say never, opps said it twice..

darkangel
03-03-06, 16:34
Peppermint tea is bril for this.

What you describe is how I get sometimes. Its not a pain but a heaviness as though someone is sitting on your chest and I feel as though I cant breath properly. It does sounds like indigestion especially if it wears off. Like you, my thought was angina. If you are worried about it mention it to your GP so can give you peace of mind. Indigestion is a typical symptom of anxiety and the more we give thought to it (by searching on internet) this gives the anxiety more power.

Hope this has helped
Darkangel

........life is for living not just for surviving

Georgina
03-03-06, 16:59
<b id="quote">quote:</b id="quote"><table border="0" id="quote"><tr id="quote"><td class="quote" id="quote">

Are you on any meds at the moments? Suffered anxiety in the past? Suffered with the problems your getting at the moment very long? Or do they alter?

Never say never, opps said it twice..

<div align="right">Originally posted by Badchip - 03 March 2006 : 15:40:03</div id="right">
</td id="quote"></tr id="quote"></table id="quote">

Hi Badchip, I am going to go to the docs next week, mainly because this indigestion is driving me mad anyway! And I will certainly force him to listen to all my symptoms. I'm not on any medication, and I'm used to my anxiety surprising me with a variety of "delightful" symptoms! Thanks so much for your help.

Georgina
03-03-06, 17:01
<b id="quote">quote:</b id="quote"><table border="0" id="quote"><tr id="quote"><td class="quote" id="quote">Peppermint tea is bril for this.

What you describe is how I get sometimes. Its not a pain but a heaviness as though someone is sitting on your chest and I feel as though I cant breath properly. It does sounds like indigestion especially if it wears off. Like you, my thought was angina. If you are worried about it mention it to your GP so can give you peace of mind. Indigestion is a typical symptom of anxiety and the more we give thought to it (by searching on internet) this gives the anxiety more power.

Hope this has helped
Darkangel

........life is for living not just for surviving

<div align="right">Originally posted by darkangel - 03 March 2006 : 16:34:23</div id="right">
</td id="quote"></tr id="quote"></table id="quote">

Oh, I'll get some peppermint tea tomorrow, thankyou! It'll make a nice change, I'm sick of the taste of indigestion tablets. I'll mention it to my GP for sure. Thanks so much for your help.

jackie
03-03-06, 22:02
georgina

all the things you mention i have had in the past and even now i feel it in my chest. docs have found nothing wrong with my body

i never look for symptoms on the web try not too it is sooooooo damaging. just stick to this and your own doc

i hope now you realise you are not alone . there are many posts on chest pain, have a look at them it may ease your fear

jackie

Georgina
05-03-06, 09:24
Jackie, thanks so much for your reply. I've been having a great trawl through the site since I joined, it is so informative, and strangely relieving to know so many other people have simimar issues! I have made a resolution not to look up symptoms on the web any more. I realise it is only exacerbating symptoms, rather than reassuring me.

Meg
05-03-06, 10:16
**I have made a resolution not to look up symptoms on the web any more. I realise it is only exacerbating symptoms, rather than reassuring me. **

Fantastic !!!!

Bad Night.......To much time to think....! (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6410)
Health Anxiety and the Internet (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7567)

Meg
www.anxietymanagementltd.com

Your anxiety is the human representation of the pictures that you paint using your many vivid colours of revolving and reoccurring thoughts.
How big is your gallery ?

katyfitz
05-03-06, 11:52
hi georgina your welcome for my quick reply thats what where here for if we relate to it then we tell. Your doc will tell you exactly what we have and i think indigestion and heartbur is the main course right now for you its one of the most COMMON anxiety/panic symptoms you will be fine. chin up chicken

jackie
05-03-06, 16:49
georgina you sound better already. have you read claire weekes books on how to be less focused on your symptoms
jackie

jackie
05-03-06, 16:50
http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/default.asp?t=cms&c=reading

sorry you can order it from the above site. i promise you you will love this book. if you dont ill give you your money back.lol only joking. anyway im that sure you will love it i just might
jackie

Farr06
06-03-06, 12:43
I know what you mean by the pressure feeling, its like a big bubble of air in my chest, often on the left side and often just when lying down. GP said might be a cough coming on. I also get chest pains around the heart area, GP says nervous indigestion.I too have had an obsession with googling my symptoms, convinced myself in January I had septecemia off the hair dye I used, as I got depersonalisation the same day, and last month thought I had caught bird flu off a chicken chow mein. Have ordered Claire Weekes book off Ebay so will let you know if I learn anything from it!

Anxiety Is Evil