PDA

View Full Version : A Success Story! Mirtazapine

klr
19-09-10, 21:13
Hi,:blush:Just a wee note to let everyone know there is a light at the end of the tunnel:yesyes: I was in a mess about 8 months ago due to bad side effects from Citalopram,stopped the Cit and started Mirt 6 months ago and never felt better!:shades:....I was sooo terrified of startin a new med due to fear of side effects,but bit the bullet and took them and never looked back!I've climbed Ben Nevis-tallest mountain in Britain for charity 3 month ago.Never had any side effects AT ALL with the Mirt..no sleepyness nothing.I am taking 15 ml.Still have slight blips but they pass within a couple of days though.Just thought i would post this in hope that it will encourage folks to keep strong and keep fighting:winks:...KEEP ON FIGHTING THE GOOD FIGHT!:flowers::bighug1:

Hazel B
19-09-10, 21:36
Thank you, it's so good to read a story like this! x

calm
19-09-10, 21:37
wonderful post xxxxx :D

Maj
19-09-10, 21:44
I love to hear of someone who has really benefitted from their meds. I was the same many years ago when I took sertraline. It made me feel like my old self again. Too many people will read stories of how meds make them feel bad. This is a positive story and thank you for sharing it. All the very best to you :hugs:

klr
19-09-10, 21:48
How are you these days Maj?

Maj
19-09-10, 21:53
I feel mostly okay!! Have a wee blip now and again but haven't had meds for a long time now. I blame my age for my symptoms nowadays :whistles: I'm at that "funny" age :wacko:

paula lynne
19-09-10, 21:58
Thats a fantastic pot, what a success, well done xx:D

paula lynne
19-09-10, 21:59
fantastic POST even!!:blush:

ElizabethJane
20-09-10, 08:08
Hi Kir I'm glad that you find 15mg mirtazapine working for you. That is great news. I take 45mg with lithium. Do you take any other meds? Mirtazapine apart from the weight gain has worked the best for me. I have a demanding job and a full social life and it works the best for me. I am addressing my weight gain. I did have severe problems when coming off the mirt but I will deal with that when the time comes. Welll done. EJ

JT69
23-09-10, 11:44
Hi Kir,

Lovely positive post!! Well done for the charity event....what a star!!! I like EJ, have found mirtazipine to be the best for me out of all the ad's....yes it has caused me to gain weight but I did not suffer alot of the other side effects some other srri's cause. I am currently down to 15mg and hope to come off the meds soon...I do take pregabalin as well though and am planning to continue with those as they have helped me with GAD.

Long may the good times last for you.

Take care.
Jo.xx

trooper
01-10-10, 04:33
Nice post KLR.

How does Mirtazapine interact with booze?

Does it affect your sex drive?

I'm on CIT at the moment, I'm probbaly on the third month. For the first two months the sleeping thing wans't a problem because I had a little stash of sleeping pills and daizapam which I ran out of two weeks ago.

Since I haven't had a good nights sleep. I'm just dog tired now and I have a very intensive, high stress where i have to be 'on it' all day long often till late.

So I'm tempted with mirtazapine, because apart from the not sleeping CIT is helping me be less anxious / depressed.

Thanks, T

JT69
02-10-10, 15:37
Hi trooper,

Mirtazipine is o.k with drink as long as it is in moderation.

No problems with the sex life either...different to srri's.

I would give the citalopram a bit longer to settle down...still early days really. Yes mirtazipine does help with sleep...makes you gain weight too (thats in some people and it is the only downside as far as I am concerned)!!!

Hope your sleep settles soon.

JO.xx

Dahlia
02-10-10, 16:55
How much weight does Mirtazipine typically make you put on? The SSRIs all make me put on 1 stone - which is fine, as I'm naturally underweight. When I was olanzapine too, I put on another stone - this wasn't fine, I developed a rubber tyre and thunder thighs. I know mileage varies, and I'm kind of asking - how long is a piece of string? But just wondered if there was a typical weight gain.

It's the only thing keeping me back from trying the med - apart from the fact that I couldn't have more time off work for a sertraline withdrawal.

Thanks

ElizabethJane
02-10-10, 18:33
Dahlia as you might know I'm taking mirtazapine 45mg. This time I have put on about a stone last time a stone and a half. I have another 8 to 10lbs before I can get back to my goal weight. Weight gain will vary widely when taking the mirt. Some people will put no weight on at all others a stone some as much as four stone. Mental health is always more important than weight unless you or anyone is morbidly obese to start with. EJ. Also mirt originally developed as an appetite stimulant for anorexics.

Dahlia
02-10-10, 19:14
Thanks EJ - it's good to have a ball park figure. As the major part of my anxiety symptoms is nausea, Mirtazapine seems to make sense as a choice. I understand also that the tiredness goes away once you are on a higher dosage?

ElizabethJane
02-10-10, 22:23
Mirtazapine is also an anti emetic. It is sleepines rather than tiredness and it seems to disappear in the higher doses. It is usually only found when you first start the drug. Some people use the lower doses to help them sleep. EJ.

Dahlia
02-10-10, 22:43
Thanks EJ. Not that I expect you to answer this, but I am mulling over options. I can't do a straight withdrawal from sertraline, because I can't take more time off work. I could augment it with a low dose of Mirtazapine for a while - and potentially do an extremely slow cross taper from sert to mirt. Mirt doesn't seem to cause nausea or diarrhoea - both of which I suffer from sertraline - and both of which are also symptoms of my panic. Hmmmm...food for thought.

lynn1960
02-10-10, 22:57
i found mirtazapin to be the best ad of all the ones i have been on