PDA

View Full Version : need help

Sempron
19-09-10, 21:43
Hey all,

I think i need to seek advice but dont know who to turn too,Basicly ive been suffering with what i think is Social Anxiety since i left high school at 18 ish,Now 21.

I constantly feel like people are watching me,Talking about me and i feel nervous and even though i do go out,I try not to be out all that long or a place thats packed with people as it just brakes me down,My neck & chest comes out in a red rash,i sweat under the arms to the point where i get even more depressed and im just not happy at all.

Its getting to the point where i simply dont want to do anything anymore,i stopped taking driving lessons because i couldnt take the stress and the anxiety it brings if i make a mistake....ive also never been out to nightclubs or anything like that,Again because i simply cannot manage it any more.

Just today going out shopping i just wanted to get out the store and felt sick....i cant go on living life like this.

I have thought about seeing the doctor,But am i right in thinking he/she will just put me on anti-depressants?If so i cant really see how that will fix it (In the long run)?

I appreciate any help.

Maj
19-09-10, 21:51
:welcome: to NMP. Sorry to hear you are feeling so bad, but you are not alone. Sounds like you are suffering from low self esteem which also comes from anxiety/depression. You will gets lot of help and support here but I think you should also have a word with your doctor. Sometimes just even talking to someone can help. So what if they prescribe anti-depressants - it's not the end of the world and can be a great help to make you feel like you again. :hugs:

Spagetti
20-09-10, 16:34
Hi Sempron,

Im sorry to hear how bad you are feeling but can also understand as I was the same not too long ago. I didnt seek help until I was made to when I ended up being too afraid to leave the house for several months.

I urge you to visit your doctor to discuss this. They may well prescribe you anti-depressants which do help take the edge of your anxiety, but you are right in saying they do not work long term (i.e. cure the issue). When you speak to your doctor do not let them fob you off with drugs but ask about options such as CBT and/or anxiety management courses/groups. A good GP will inform you of all the options available.

Best wishes

Spag xx

Magic
23-09-10, 18:22
Hiya Sempron,
I have had the same thing in the past,although I still have a social anxiety,my phobia for going ito super markets is very much better. The reason for this is I went to my GP (female) and was put onto medication for panic attacks and a very small dose of anti depressants. I always carry a small bottle of water with me as well.It may sound silly ,but it does help. There is nothing wrong with having medication. It is helping me. ALL THE BEST Nellie123

city2010
23-09-10, 21:33
hi m8 i know what your going thro and trust me go to the doctors and they will help you its better to get it out than to bottle it up i did for about a year until i cracked. i knw i needed help but wouldnt seek it,

i would recomend a smal dosage of citalopram that what im on and works a treat and also im going to do therapy as it shud help my behaviour

Inspires
24-09-10, 01:25
Hi Sempron, I too, think it would be a good idea if you booked a doctor's appointment, to talk through all your concerns.

He/She will discuss many options regarding treatment, then you can decide the best choice for you...

Talk freely, and you'll be fine. :yesyes:

I've suffered social anxiety since I was at school, and things are much the same, although I do make the effort to go out and eat in public (my phobia) with family and friends. I'm a nervous wreck at the end of each meal...

PM me if you need me...

Take care,

Sue x :flowers: