PDA

View Full Version : Mouth Cancer

Eggy
22-09-10, 00:19
As i am having bad neck pain and face pain along with bad jaw pain plus the feeling of something being stuck in my throat all the time i am worried that i might have mouth cancer.

I have broken teeth, a few decayed teeth and a couple with plaque, I haven't been to the dentist for years because i have a phobia of going to the dentist.

I am 29, I don't smoke (Well i did but i stopped 7 years ago) and i barely drink alcohol but my teeth aren't in great condition so i am worried about this.

daybyday
22-09-10, 01:09
These symptoms have been there with anxiety for me.

Electric_Worry
22-09-10, 01:17
You haven't said how long you have been suffering with these symptoms, however what you're describing could easily be something like an infection. They also sound somewhat related to your anxiety, as I myself have had a lot of jaw ache from unknowingly gritting my teeth and also a feeling that something is lodged in my throat. Obviously with your anxiety you start to fear the worst case scenario when in actuality it's no doubt something less sinister.

Regardless, if this pain continues and you believe it's related to your mouth then you're going to need to pluck up the courage and see your dentist. I understand it's easier said than done when you have a phobia, but needs must. Dentists can be pretty good when it comes to people with phobias, especially now that it's a common and well addressed thing. Make an appointment and explain your fear. The dentist will be sympathetic to your cause and will be more accommodating as a result. After all, they could probably tell you what was wrong with you before carrying out any work.

If the thought is all too much, you might be able to see your doctor first instead. Chances are that they will refer you to your dentist, but you could always try.

Eggy
22-09-10, 02:07
You haven't said how long you have been suffering with these symptoms, however what you're describing could easily be something like an infection. They also sound somewhat related to your anxiety, as I myself have had a lot of jaw ache from unknowingly gritting my teeth and also a feeling that something is lodged in my throat. Obviously with your anxiety you start to fear the worst case scenario when in actuality it's no doubt something less sinister.

Regardless, if this pain continues and you believe it's related to your mouth then you're going to need to pluck up the courage and see your dentist. I understand it's easier said than done when you have a phobia, but needs must. Dentists can be pretty good when it comes to people with phobias, especially now that it's a common and well addressed thing. Make an appointment and explain your fear. The dentist will be sympathetic to your cause and will be more accommodating as a result. After all, they could probably tell you what was wrong with you before carrying out any work.

If the thought is all too much, you might be able to see your doctor first instead. Chances are that they will refer you to your dentist, but you could always try.

The face/jaw pain i have only had for a couple of days, The neck pain and throat problem i have had for around 2 weeks.

I do have a bit of difficulty swallowing sometimes as well but i can swallow food ok.

blueangel
22-09-10, 10:25
Hi Eggy

Mouth cancer is very rare indeed in people your age, even if you have smoked in the past. It sounds more as though the pain in your jaw is a result of tension, as I get this a lot.

Have you thought about getting a bit of help to get you to the dentist? I used to be a real phobic but a counsellor helped me out and now I have no problem with it - to the extent that my dentists says I'm one of his best patients, which is nothing short of a miracle for me as I couldn't go near one for years and years.

Eggy
22-09-10, 12:38
I've got an appointment early next week at a dental hospital which is a dentist with dental students & professionals.

I presume if i had something like mouth cancer they would spot it during an examination?

I am dreading it too be honest, They will probably have a go at me as my teeth aren't great.

Eggy
22-09-10, 13:35
I've found something on my gum like a big white patch and it looks very very dodgy.

Electric_Worry
22-09-10, 15:15
If they spot something that they believe to be suspicious, then you will no doubt have to go for a biopsy for a final diagnosis. This involves taking cells/tissue from the area to be examined for the cancer.

It is more than likely to be nothing, but seeing the dentist will put your mind at ease. They've seen all sorts, so don't be embarrassed about your teeth; they're not there to judge, they're there to help.

You might be as well to explain your symptoms and mention the patch to your dentist, then they will be addressed specifically rather than you worrying about whether they have noticed them or not.

Eggy
22-09-10, 17:32
I've got a lot of red patches at the top of my mouth as well.

On top of that i have neck pain, jaw pain, face pain on both sides, headache, pain in my eyes and near my ears, This neck pain is getting worse and i have had it for a few weeks now.

I went to my GP yesterday and she didn't do much, I don't think enough is being done.

I have also been having problems with swallowing for the past week or so, It feel like there is a lump there everytime i swallow and it feels like i am going to start choking or my throat is going to close up.

I am now extremely worried about mouth cancer along with head, neck, throat and esophagus cancer.

I had blood tests done on Monday but they don't pick things like this up unfortunately.

diane07
22-09-10, 17:38
The lump feeling in your throat could be down to Globus Hystericus.

Its something i have at the moment and can be very stressful.

Pop to dentist and he will be able to tell you.

di x

Eggy
23-09-10, 21:26
Would a doctor spot mouth cancer immediately if he looked into my mouth? A doctor looked at my throat earlier then he had a very quick look in my mouth i just wondered if it would have been picked up?

nomorepanic
23-09-10, 21:46
Eggy - please can you try and calm down and take a step back now. I can't keep up with all your posts on here at the moment.

Have a read of the website pages as we have suggested many times and try to stick to one post and add to that as there are too many for me to keep up with lol.

paula lynne
23-09-10, 22:34
Eggy have you read up on panic and anxiety yet?? let us know if it rings any bells :shrug: as there are several members who are keen to know how you are feeling about what youve read ok....

Eggy
24-09-10, 00:30
I've got an emergency dentist appointment at 9am in the morning i haven't been to the dentist for years because of a phobia and i've got mouth cancer symptoms like difficulty swallowing, difficulty chewing and red and white patches in my mouth.

Inspires
24-09-10, 00:53
I've got an emergency dentist appointment at 9am in the morning i haven't been to the dentist for years because of a phobia and i've got mouth cancer symptoms like difficulty swallowing, difficulty chewing and red and white patches in my mouth.

Eggy - I think that you've done the right thing in making an emergency dental appointment. This will at least help to allay some of your concerns relating to mouth cancer.

Make sure you come back, and post on this thread about the outcome. Do not worry, I'm sure you've nothing to worry about!

Take care,

Sue x

Fly away Katie
24-09-10, 18:31
Isnt cancer pain-less?
I'm sure youl be fine. Offcourse your mouths in a bit of a state.. you haven't been to the dentist in a very long time.
And as for the swallowing thing? I used to gag food back up mine got that bad, its an anxiety symptom..
Anxiety can bring some horrible feelings love x x x x

Eggy
25-09-10, 21:02
Eggy - I think that you've done the right thing in making an emergency dental appointment. This will at least help to allay some of your concerns relating to mouth cancer.

Make sure you come back, and post on this thread about the outcome. Do not worry, I'm sure you've nothing to worry about!

Take care,

Sue x

I missed my appointment as i fainted and was taken to hospital so i have another appointment on Monday afternoon.

Eggy
25-09-10, 21:03
Isnt cancer pain-less?
I'm sure youl be fine. Offcourse your mouths in a bit of a state.. you haven't been to the dentist in a very long time.
And as for the swallowing thing? I used to gag food back up mine got that bad, its an anxiety symptom..
Anxiety can bring some horrible feelings love x x x x

You can get mouth and neck pain with mouth cancer.

Your right though, I haven't been to the dentist for a long time because i've always had a big phobia of dentist's and when i had a cyst removed from my jaw 10 years ago it left me in agony for weeks and weeks and that made my phobia even worse.

Eggy
25-09-10, 21:05
I am still concerned about mouth cancer, My GP had a quick look in my mouth yesterday and had a quick look at my tongue, I'm hoping if i did have anything dodgy looking patches in my mouth they would have picked up on it.

nomorepanic
25-09-10, 21:06
The dentist will be able to reassure you when you see them

flamarella
26-09-10, 13:15
oh hunny that sucks .. but thats you stress and now that you are constantly thinking about it you start feeling more things, however, you do need to go to the dentist. i have been scared since i was a kid but you just have to find a nice one that has patience .. the patches in your mouth are probably a bad case of gingivitis. when u have bad teeth in your mouth that you do not take care of your gums get very week and red...

Eggy
27-09-10, 20:53
I went to the dental hospital today for a check up, I have a decayed tooth in the top left hand corner and some decayed teeth and teeth with plaque and cavities in the bottom left hand corner but the rest of my top teeth are ok and the rest of my bottom teeth aren't too bad.

There was nothing that stood out apparently, I need a bit of work doing but i need to go on the waiting list for that, I showed them my white patch and they had a look at it but never said anything so it can't be anything too bad.

I had a mouth x-ray as well and my sinus's were clear too, I had mentioned my facial pain and neck pain to them.

I was seen to by a young student dentist plus a fully qualified professional, They both looked in my mouth several times.

paula lynne
27-09-10, 20:56
Hopefully after such a thorough examination Eggy you can start to believe youve nothing serious...this must make you feel relieved, so hopefully your anxiety will start to ease now thank goodness

nomorepanic
27-09-10, 21:13
Aww cool so all ok then. Now try and relax and know that there is nothing sinister.

Eggy
27-09-10, 21:59
Hopefully after such a thorough examination Eggy you can start to believe youve nothing serious...this must make you feel relieved, so hopefully your anxiety will start to ease now thank goodness

I'm still worried about a couple of other things but it's a bit of a weight off my mind and it is one less thing i need to worry about.

diane07
27-09-10, 22:06
I'd be really happy with a check up like that, they'd know if there was something bad there.

Man Up Idiot!
28-09-10, 16:31
I had a mouth cancer worry after seeing a poster about it. I had a couple of mouth ulcers one after the other and then noticed a white patch in the back of my mouth on the left. I panicked like crazy and got really worked up for a day or two, then I looked in a different mirror and realised it was on both sides of my mouth, but the first mirror I looked in was near to a window and could only see one side! Honestly don't worry, I see people at work who drink two bottles of vodka each day and smoke constantly and that's when you would start getting those sort of problems, after years of abusing your body in that way.

Eggy
28-09-10, 16:55
Thanks, I very rarely drink alcohol as i have never been much of a drinker and i did smoke from the age of 16 until i was 22 i smoked around 10-20 a day and gave up just over 7 years ago.