PDA

View Full Version : not again

olderfella
22-09-10, 05:34
Hi is anyone around,just when i thought i was getting stronger the lightning bolt woke me from my sleep im now down stairs,shaking and frightened,why o why does this thing keep coming back,it took me ten minutes to get my password right i hadnt for got i,i just kept spelling it wrong:unsure::unsure:

olderfella
22-09-10, 05:35
Is anyone around???????????

agnes
22-09-10, 05:41
Yes, olderfella, I am, and I'm listening

olderfella
22-09-10, 05:45
Hi Agnes i m struggling right now,i so much want the anxiety and panic to go im trying to get a grip of my fears im fearful of my fear,i need to stop this why cant i stop it?

agnes
22-09-10, 05:56
It is a struggle, olderfella, a real struggle, I know. But, within that struggle, you are getting through this anxiety. You've woken up horribly and it'll take you a little time to calm down.

I get petrified of my fears too and want them to go. But, the frightening intensity will lessen, I promise.

If a close and loving friend was sat with you now, what would they be saying to you...I'm not being blase, I'm asking that you really consider this.

with my love and thoughts....

olderfella
22-09-10, 06:03
I know they would tell me im ok,there is a part of me knows im ok,i just need my brain to accept it and the fear to subside,thank you for replying it helps knowing someone is around,

kibbutz83
22-09-10, 10:48
Hi Olderfella, hope you're feeling a bit calmer now :) I really think that EVERYONE that experiences panic/anxiety, needs to look at sites on "adrenal exhaustion", and how we can rebuild our adrenal glands :) This is what is causing our symptoms, and until we address this, nothing will change :( It's a vicious circle! It can take years to heal our bodies after years of abusing and exhausting it :( Very few people seem willing to do the work, they just wanna carry on relying on ad's which deplete the adrenals even more! Ad's are a "quick fix" but in no way are they a long term solution.
Please anxiety sufferers out there, stop going down the conventional meds route-they are only making you worse :(

Jaco45er
22-09-10, 11:38
Hi Kibbutz

Please refrain from warding members away from meds. For some, they are a necessity and prescribed by professionals for different reasons.

There are many avenues one can go down to treat anxiety, but we should no more target meds than we should target talking therapies etc (horses for courses).

Many thanks,

Jaco

bottleblond
22-09-10, 11:50
Hi Olderfella, hope you're feeling a bit calmer now :) I really think that EVERYONE that experiences panic/anxiety, needs to look at sites on "adrenal exhaustion", and how we can rebuild our adrenal glands :) This is what is causing our symptoms, and until we address this, nothing will change :( It's a vicious circle! It can take years to heal our bodies after years of abusing and exhausting it :( Very few people seem willing to do the work, they just wanna carry on relying on ad's which deplete the adrenals even more! Ad's are a "quick fix" but in no way are they a long term solution.
Please anxiety sufferers out there, stop going down the conventional meds route-they are only making you worse :(

Are you medically trained to give out such 'advice'?

The above it just YOUR theory. One of many, many, many theories that we see here on a weekly basis.

I'm sure if it was as easy as rebuilding our adrenal glands then the majority of us would have done it years ago instead of suffering on a daily basis.

Lisa

mandie
22-09-10, 13:01
Hi Kibbutz

I wouldnt say the meds made me worse, infact they gave me my life back!

Im seeing my dr tommorow as iv been off meds for 6 months and im having a terrible time with my anx and panic. I want to go back on them as for me they are a big help.

Olderfella - i do hope you are over your panic attack now and feeling calmer

mandie x

kibbutz83
22-09-10, 13:32
Hi, I'm sorry, but it's not just a 'theory', there has been quite a bit of research done on the effect on the body of ad's. As for re-building our adrenals being "easy", think again! It is probably one of the hardest processes, and takes many years :( But for the long-term it is probably the only way we can truly "heal" ourselves. Coming on and off ad's for years on end can actually exacerbate the under-lying physical/mental problem :(
Tell me please, why I should just sit here and collude with people who are deluding themselves into believing that conventional medicine is the ONLY way forward?
Don't you think that the people here should be given all the alternatives?
If you don't allow me ( a fellow sufferer ) to put my point and experience across, what kind of message does that send? Why aren't people being encouraged to go down the route of self-healing with vitamins, minerals, exercise, positive thinking, therapy etc?
I am sorry if I feel the need to challenge people's negative thinking, but that is what I was trained to do :)

JaneC
22-09-10, 13:50
If you look to the left of the page, kibbutz, you'll see there is a lot of information on this site about therapies and natural remedies. There are also countless threads about things like CBT and natural remedies such as B vitamins, inositol and so on. The owner of the site is not a big fan of ADs. She encourages people, as do many members, to try different things. I've never seen anyone on here say that ADs are the only thing that work. On a personal note, my health has greatly benefited from being prescribed celloid mineral therapy for a condition GPs have no answer to. I'm far from having a closed mind about things, but nevertheless I've experienced the benefits of ADs first-hand, as has my husband. His mental state was so poor a few months ago that he was on the verge of being impossible to live with. A small increase in his citalopram dose made an enormous positive impact. He has multiple sclerosis. Do you have a cure for that?

Jaco45er
22-09-10, 14:11
Kibbutz

I think you are missing the point. No one is telling you not to discuss alternative recovery methods, infact we encourage it as long as it's proven and safe, and is not designed to make money out of sufferers.

The issue is you telling people not to use meds. I am afraid it is not your place to urge people to stop using meds. This is a decision for the member and her/his health professional or GP.

To tell people not to use meds is irresponsible, and I would urge members to talk to their GP's before stopping any medication.

Kibbitz, may I suggest in future, when promoting the ad theory, you do it in such a way as to not be at the detriment of other methods.

Regards,

Jaco

suzy-sue
22-09-10, 15:05
The treatment for Adrenal fatigue is the same as you would do for Anxiety depression .Ie ;Healthy diet ;excercise ;plenty of sleep Omega 3 supplements . I posted a reply to you Kibbutz on the Citalopram forum . Stating other things needed to be done as well as taking A/Ds. I see you havnt replied .:shrug: One condition can cause the other ,So it obviously needs treating the same way .There are no tests unless Adrenal exhaustion becomes such you develop CushingsSyndrome or Addisons disease .So I fail to understand how you come to believe what you do .Are you an Endicronologist ? ..My father has Cushings and also has Addisons BTW ..Sue

kibbutz83
22-09-10, 15:19
My point precisely Mandie.......

olderfella
22-09-10, 16:17
Easy guys i didnt intend to start problems for anyone,i made it to work for 9am have been very busy so had my mind occupied which helps no end,i feel much better now thanks to all for your words and warmth,
Kibbutz,i do exercise daily and i am open to any form of help & advice but right now im not mentally strong enough to go with out meds although im not proud of having to take them i could not manage without them.I like most of you would do anything to just be plain old normal me again i have spent hours searching for an answer as i am sure lots of you have and i live in hope that one day a scientist will find a cure for all of us.:hugs:

JaneC
22-09-10, 16:29
olderfella, you have no need to apologise, in fact, sorry that a thread you started because you needed help veered off course. Glad your day got better, tho x

agnes
22-09-10, 16:44
olderfella, so happy to hear that work went well and was helpful to you.

And our early morning mutual support thread, for which this site is so valuable, had no bearing whatsoever on what followed.

heavenly
22-09-10, 17:36
Easy guys i didnt intend to start problems for anyone,i made it to work for 9am have been very busy so had my mind occupied which helps no end,i feel much better now thanks to all for your words and warmth,
Kibbutz,i do exercise daily and i am open to any form of help & advice but right now im not mentally strong enough to go with out meds although im not proud of having to take them i could not manage without them.I like most of you would do anything to just be plain old normal me again i have spent hours searching for an answer as i am sure lots of you have and i live in hope that one day a scientist will find a cure for all of us.:hugs:

Hi there, how are you? Well done with getting through a work day, its a struggle but you feel better for it at the end of the day. Like you, I couldn't cope without meds at the mo (I'm only 6 weeks in having these blasted attacks, so I'm a newbie to all this), but I am also changing my diet, taking the vits I need to, walking more, going to yoga, I am fully aware I need to look after my body and mind, but I need some extra help with the meds at the mo. Nothing wrong with that. Take care. xx

nomorepanic
22-09-10, 18:38
If you look to the left of the page, kibbutz, you'll see there is a lot of information on this site about therapies and natural remedies. There are also countless threads about things like CBT and natural remedies such as B vitamins, inositol and so on. The owner of the site is not a big fan of ADs. She encourages people, as do many members, to try different things.

That is very true! I am not a lover of medication and I don't hide that fact. I just don't reply to the medication posts as it is not my position to tell someone what they can and can't take.

My own personal experience was taking Dotheipin (6 months) and then Prozac (for nearly a year) and nothing changed. This was over 12 years ago now though. I kind of thought that all I had to was take the tablet and I would be cured. It doesn't work like that!

I was once prescribed Citalopram for insomnia and I was climbing the walls within the week with side effects and so I stopped it and told the doc I would rather not sleep than feel that ill!

I had to work at the underlying poblem and whilst on medication I felt that everything was masked and I wasn't "the real me" if that makes sense.

I was also worried about what they were doing to my brain (of all things) as I guessed they had to alter the chemistry of that to try and "fix" the panic attack problem.

I have friends on here that take medication and I have friends that hate it as much as I do but as I said it is each to their own and so I prefer not to comment much about it as it could be a long debate.

All I will say is this and these are not my words (these come from Meg who writes articles for the site):

It is your choice whether to take medication to help you through your current issues. The 'gold standard' recommended in the NICE guidelines for anxiety is CBT therapy (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/articles/therapy/). This can be combined with or without medication.

It is possible to recover without using medication at all.

The medications may significantly ease symptoms and give you a well needed break from feeling so terrible each day but they will not cure you of all your problems or symptoms. Using medication can prove to you that the symptoms you are experiencing are indeed anxiety and not some other dreaded lurgy as many of these symptoms will lessen or disappear whilst you are on the medication.

If you go on medication but do nothing else constructive to help yourself, you may find the initial symptoms reoccurring once you stop the medication. If your issues are caused by something that may improve naturally over time like a bereavement then medication may be all you need to see you through a particularly difficult patch but medications are not a permanent solution to an established emotional problem.

olderfella
22-09-10, 19:58
Thanks for that Jane C,
heavenly i also have changed and still am in the process of changing diet,i eat pretty clean as i am into bodybuilding however i am now getting rid of gluten and most dairy products,to see if that makes any difference i hope you make a speedy recovery.
Agnes thank you for this morning im sure talking to you made me feel better choose what you say im sure your words had an impact on my state of mind and it did have a bearing of how my day went thanks again:):hugs:

Hazel B
22-09-10, 20:26
I'm not up early enough to help you online but understand anxiety and the horrors that come with it.
Hope you have a better morning. Take care.