PDA

View Full Version : Alcohol

MidnightCalm
22-09-10, 17:53
What are your experiences?
Been on half of 50mg Sertraline for 9 days and thinking of having a few glasses of wine tonight with friends, I've already got a throat virus thing that's making me feel a bit ugh and I've had an anti-histamine that's made me pretty drowsy.
Could I safely drink?

suzy-sue
22-09-10, 18:03
I wouldnt reccomend a FEW .Drinking will make you feel really tired and will probabaly increase your anxiety tommorow if you have too much .It also isnt wise to drink the normal ammount you would drink ,as it can have an increased effect when you are on A/Ds .Try one or two if you have to ,and see how its goes .Have a good evening ..Sue x:D

Maj
22-09-10, 18:05
A couple of drinks with sertraline should do you no harm. The antihistamine will probably make the effect of alcohol more obvious. As long as you don't overdo the alcohol I can see no harm in it.

MidnightCalm
22-09-10, 18:33
Thanks guys, will see how I go on 1 or 2 glasses, I'll probably find I don't need as much.x

unspoken
22-09-10, 21:42
Yeah, I've not really found that sertraline has changed my reaction to alcohol. I think it's more the anxiety itself which makes drinking unpleasant for me. Antihistamine, if it is the sedating kind, is more likely to affect you. The modern ones like cetirazine and loratadine don't have a sedative effect so alcohol doesn't make much difference to them (in my experience). Do take it carefully though as you don't know how it could affect you (I'd assume you've gone out drinking now, so I hope it's going ok).

lecb
23-09-10, 00:38
I have been on Sertraline for about 8 years and have been drunk (even on 200mg) - i'm not saying go out and get plastered, because it may be different for different people, but a few will be fine. Don't overdo it. Maybe try a glass of wine or two and see how it affects you.

X

MidnightCalm
23-09-10, 12:41
Thanks guys for the replies, I didn't end up drinking, saving myself for tomorrow, must remember not to go overboard :P

evekins
24-09-10, 19:31
I have been on Sertraline for 3 months now and often have one or two glasses of wine with my dinner. I have noticed no ill effects. Howeve, I wouldn't drink more than two glasses as alcohol is a depressant which defeats the object of the drug!
Have a good time or have you already had a good time!?!:yesyes: