PDA

View Full Version : having counselling

bobsy
04-03-06, 15:55
Just thought i'd do a post.

I have had two counselling sessions now and they are not going too bad, even though i get homework. The lady i see is nice and she takes me out to places. My first bit of homework was to let my partner take me out and not tell me where we were going as she says i have this thing about always being in control of situations as that why i think i am safe and she wants to let me find out that if other people take control of a situation i will still be safe. anyway i did this and felt ok so i have to keeping going where my other half wants (he is in his element) i'm just waiting for him to take my somewhere hard but counsellor says he has to be patience and do small things first so i feel ok with this.

This week she took me to sainsbury's cafe. omg. anyway i bought the coffees and found a seat then she went back to get a napkin i was tempted to turn round and watch where she had gone but i didn't. she said she did this on purpose to see how i would react and i told her i was worried she was going to go away for a long time. she said she would not have done this but she will next time but she will tell me for how long she would be gone for (cant wait for next time!!!)

i told her that if i was with somebody i was ok it was being on my own i did not like. She said i was ok in the cafe and i agreed with her my problems are getting there on my own, if somebody took me there i could do shopping but would need them at checkout. it's this being on my own thing. she said i am too dependent on my partner to get me out of things and if i carried on doing this my problem would not go away which i also understand. i have to stop being dependent on him and depend on myself as she says sometimes having people around all the time can be a liability to me. i know where she is coming from but its hard breaking the cord. I also have to try and break my safety places (i.e. if i am out i always have places to fall back on like friends/relatives houses, work, hairdressers, shops where i no people work) This is my coping techniques which she says i have to try and break so my homework for the next 3 weeks is to go out in one direction in a place where i have no safety place and walk for 5 mins there and 5 mins back. I did it yesterday twice and felt not bad i wouldn't say it was wonderful BUT I DID IT. I have also taken my son into town today on my own in the car and we stayed for 1 1/2 hours I think there may be some light at the end of the tunnel - just a little at the moment and i don't want to spead too soon.

I just need to conquer not relying and being dependent on people to get me to places and not having safety nets I NEED CONFIDENCE but i know that comes from doing things i don't like.

i will keep you informed thanks for reading

bobsy

nomorepanic
04-03-06, 15:59
Bobsy

Well done you for starting with this therapy.

Oh yes the homework is hard isn't it? I know you read my driving post and know what I have to do as well.

Sounds to me like she knows what she is talking about and if you work with her then you will soon be doing so much more alone.

You will get there in time, just do it slowly and gain confidence along the way.

I am pleased to hear that you are already doing stuff and good luck with the homework this coming week.

Nicola

bobsy
04-03-06, 17:14
nicola

thanks for replying it is kind of you and thanks for wishing me good luck. i will let you know how i get on

take care

bobsy

Meg
04-03-06, 21:36
Bobsy,

Its great you are embarking on this...

Do keep us updated on how it goes for you and keep up the homework and practice

Meg
www.anxietymanagementltd.com

Your anxiety is the human representation of the pictures that you paint using your many vivid colours of revolving and reoccurring thoughts.
How big is your gallery ?

Piglet
05-03-06, 14:16
Bobsy hun I will be keeping a close eye on this thread because as you know this is sorta where I am at too. Totally identify!!!

So pleased for you mate.

Big squeeze.:D

Piglet xx

"Supposing a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?" said Piglet.
"Supposing it didn't," said Pooh after careful thought.

bobsy
10-03-06, 11:13
well here i am again. been doing my homework and a little bit more. I am now walking about 6/7 mins one way and then the other. Walked for 7 mins one way today but when i came to turning round to come back home omg it was a long way back and i could feel the panic starting but i stopped it, but i feel not too good today. I concentrate on my destination and i find that works to get there, but coming back i find hard. Please has anybody got any advice for me. i cant move on until i have conquered this

take care bobsy

Pain is temporary Quitting last for ever Lance Armstrong

tracyp584
10-03-06, 11:38
Hey Bobsy,

Well done for keeping the walking going, you are doing SO well.
I can only think of fiddling with your mobile and send a text on the way back, or a walkman.. or just keep rememberin to relax your shoulders, take a slow deep breath.
I know that is easier said than done.

Perhaps you could try thinking that you have done the hardest bit, by walking away, now you are just walking back to where you feel comfortable?

I don't know if any of that helps!

Take care mate,

tracy x x

Every time you avoid your fears they become stronger,every time you face your fears they become weaker.

Piglet
10-03-06, 11:47
I think I would say stay at this stage for now - try and keep doing it over the next few weeks until you are happy with it.

Love Piglet xx

"Supposing a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?" said Piglet.
"Supposing it didn't," said Pooh after careful thought.

nomorepanic
10-03-06, 15:22
Bobsy

Maybe shorten the walking time so that you don't feel so overwhelmed on the way back.

Try to praise yourself for getting so far and don't torture yourself about the walking back.

It will come in time - these are early stages of your recovery so take it slowly ok and don't push yourself too hard too quickly.

Make sure you go back and do it again soon so you don't lose your confidence.

Good luck

Nicola